New Model Blackhawk Bisley

Help Support Ruger Forum:

loiblb

Single-Sixer
Have tried to get to like the grip of the Bisley. I think it was a just a thought of overachieving on my part.

Attachments

• 45 LC .jpg
    45 LC .jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 93

contender

Ruger Guru
Everybody has a different hand shape & size. What works for one person, may not work for someone else.

I teach; "Fit & Comfort" when it comes to a proper handgun grip.

dannyd

Buckeye
I have one just like it and it does take some getting used to. I got one of the last 357 magnums before Ruger removed them from the catalog.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Overachieving... would you pass up the sales and thius profits the Bisley models have brought to the company over the decades? ;)

Rclark

Hunter
Yes, I am a plow handle person myself.... But when it comes to shooting the 'heavy' loads, the Bisley just 'works' better. Since I rarely shoot heavy (and I mean 'heavy'), the plow handle revolvers get the first call. Those with extra large hands seem to prefer the Bisley as well. I don't consider the .357 ever needing the Bisley grip, but that is just me. Until you get to the big bore, the Bisley is more of a 'personal' preference.

Sacramento Johnson

Blackhawk
I prefer the looks of the plow handle over the bisley, but I've slowly come to appreciate the Ruger Bisley grip for more powerful loads and duelist style. Infact, I've been thinking of seeing if I can change a plow handle over to a Bisley grip frame.
To the OP, what caliber is your Bisley Blackhawk?

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
It's mixed :

The Bisley is better for really heavy loads .

The Regular Blackhawk ( & SAA clones) is more naturally pointing and adaquate up to a certain recoil level . ( Not definitively established , but 3 screw .41 is fine .)

The squareback SBH is a torture device .

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
I have a set of stainless Bisley Vaqueros and a set of stainless vaqueros, both in 44 magnum with extra cylinders fit in 44-40. The Bisleys become uncomfortable to shoot with full power 44 magnum loads. They feel like the recoil is focused right in the middle of my palm. With the plowhandles, I can shoot 44 +p's in 240, 265 and 300 grain bullets all day. With 44-40's or 240 grain bullets around 1000 feet per second they are all very comfortable.

My Super Blackhawk felt a lot more comfortable with heavy loads after I started using thicker grips on them. But then again, the Bisley benefitted even more with thicker grips. As mentioned, fitting the gun to the shooter for comfort goes a long way to precision and handling recoil. A set of thicker (or thinner) grips always dramatically transforms any handgun.

Last edited:

Latest posts