New Model Blackhawk 357 Magnum

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Turner1944

Bearcat
Is Ruger still in business?
I have looked at every gun shop within 50 miles of Raleigh for a new Ruger without success. Are they that far behind in production?

Yes they are behind. There is not a single gun on my radar that I can buy anywhere.

I suspect too, if they're selling the easy-to-make guns as quickly as they make them, there's no reason to make other guns from their catalogue.

contender

Ruger Guru
"Is Ruger still in business?"

Yes.

"I have looked at every gun shop within 50 miles of Raleigh for a new Ruger without success. Are they that far behind in production?"

Ruger, like all smart businesses make products that sell quickly,, and thanks to modern times, and the larger buying market,, "black, plastic, tactical, bottom feeding, semi's" get the lion's share of the stuff being made.
A company is in business to make money. They must build & sell a product at a profit to stay in business. Anytime a product gets built, and sits in a warehouse due to slow sales,, it costs money. (Storage, inventory, record keeping, security etc.) But when you can build & ship as fast as you can make a product,, you focus upon that first.

You need to either widen your search area or expect to pay a premium for your desired model.

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
There are a few new 357 Blackhawks on GunBroker now. And lots of new Redhawks and Super Redhawks. So Ruger is making guns.

Now as to why you can't find any. Are they going to large dealers who list them online for maximum profit? Are they being redirected on the wholesale level to large online retailers who are selling them on Gunbroker?

I don't know. All I know is that through this pandemic and upheavals, the country has found out that Gunbroker is THE place to go for guns. Buyers have a nationwide market where they can find everything they want that they can't find locally. And sellers have that large audience from which to draw the biggest bids and make the absolute most money possible.

The higher profits are realized online. Why have a Blackhawk sit in the case of your shop for months waiting for that 1-in-100 customer who happens to stroll in and find it, when you can list it in front of millions of buyers on their computer screens and have it sold for big bucks in 7 days?

Last edited:

dannyd

Hunter
Plus we are a small market compared to the Auto market. Next time your at the range count the number of single action revolvers you see.

Johnnu2

Hunter
This past Tuesday, a friend of mine was willing to pay FULL MSRP for a Ruger GP100 that the LGS had to order for him; they called him today and told him their distributor send TWO. It's a tiny 'hole in the wall' shop, but as they say "we sell a LOT of guns".

J.

saltydog

Bearcat
My local dealer hasn't had a new Blackhawk in months, maybe a year. And I'm in there at least weekly just checking out the inventory.

edcknives

Bearcat
It's not easy for sure, all of the ones I have acquired were from years past and from friends in northern New England rummaging through relatively obscure LGS's fairly regularly and then I endedup paying them a mark up on the acquisitions. Still reasonable prices considering. That process has also dried up more recently as well as selling on GB as stated makes too much financial sense for sellers. I have about a dozen and a half Ruger SA's and a fair number of Ruger double actions along with S&W's, Colts, Uberti's and others but all were acquired with the exception of a couple pre pandemic. The time, energy and materials it takes to make a nice revolver is so much different than the modular polymer stuff that is in demand. I have quite a few of those also but as already stated those are readily available and are everywhere. Much of what is being described here is tragically becoming a bygone era.

robho40

Bearcat
Is Ruger still in business?
I have looked at every gun shop within 50 miles of Raleigh for a new Ruger without success. Are they that far behind in production?
Look online, omahaoutdoors has all kinds of Blackhawks!