New Model Blackhawk® · Satin Stainless 357 4-5/8"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SLUG

Bearcat
What's a good price for a new New Model Blackhawk® · Satin Stainless 357 4-5/8"? Ruger has MSRP at $660.(I think.)

And... is it a good deer hunting weapon? I'm not talking rifle range. More like 20-50 yrds. I have heard 44 is the way to go, but it'll be for my Dad(he's 68?)and 44 seems a bit rough.

Thanks(in advance) for any insight.

-slug

Knuckles

Buckeye
I Found a mint one for $299.00 with out a case... keep looking. :wink:

SLUG

Bearcat
Brand new for $399. Box, lock, and manual at one of my regular haunts/gun shops. It seems like a good deal to me and I love the gun after only one viewing.

Thanks again guys.

-slug

Kevin Keith

Bearcat
$660 is too much. Around here you can find them for $400- $450.

50 yards would be too far for an inexperienced handgun hunter and is the max that I would attempt a shot at any game with a sixgun with iron sights, (except for maybe jack bunnies and coyotes! :x ). Respect for the animal hunted is paramount.

Allen207

Single-Sixer
Whitetail or Mule deer? Some of the Whitetail here in Miane are smaller than my German Shepherd, but some of the Mule deer in CO are huge. I know a number of handgun hunters here in ME that use .357 with good results.

SLUG

Bearcat
OK Kevin. I'll keep that in mind. I'll have to shoot it some(if I buy it) before I actually might hunt with it. I just like the gun. I wanted to know if $400. was a decent price. At $660. MSRP, I figured $400. was a steal. I thought I would check with the experts(you all) before I spend money I don't really have on something I don't really need.

Thanks.

-slug

SLUG

Bearcat
Allen,
Yes. I'm in Maine. Not a true Maine-er. Been here since I was 5 though.
I've heard plenty of people say the .357 is a fine caliber for whitetails here. I've also heard from a few (usually the younger hunting crowd) that the .44 is the lowest they would go. I'm inclined to side with the old-timers.
Thanks for the info.
-slug

BlkHawk73

Hunter
This could b a Maine thread almost. One or two missing but the majority of us are here. LoL
IMO, the .357 is fine if the shooter does their job with shot placement. One reason many, andyes it's usually the younger crowd, that thinks .44 mag is minimum is all due to the magnumitis that so many are afflicted with. Funny many of these same feel the .300 WM is required for these same animals if using a rifle

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
SLUG":3vzuhlwd said:
What's a good price for a new New Model Blackhawk® · Satin Stainless 357 4-5/8"? Ruger has MSRP at $660.(I think.)

And... is it a good deer hunting weapon? I'm not talking rifle range. More like 20-50 yrds. I have heard 44 is the way to go, but it'll be for my Dad(he's 68?)and 44 seems a bit rough.

Thanks(in advance) for any insight.

-slug
I had a Blued New Model Blackhawk 357 4-5/8 and sold it on gunbroker for $225.00. Was shot very little. They are excellent all around revolvers and in close range would do the job. Shop around, you should be able to pickup a Stainless for around $350.00.

Good luck,
roaddog28

Allen207

Single-Sixer
Hey SLUG,

I have been here since 1984, but I'm "from away" as well :) My favorite .357 hunter was a retired Maine Sate Trooper that used his issue 4" Smith&Wesson K frame to bag his limit from the apple orchard behind his house every fall. I agree with the other posters that with proper shot placement at the ranges you are talking about, the .357 would be fine.

SLUG

Bearcat
Just got back from the gun shop. I decided to save my money(for a while anyway) for a couple reasons. It turned out to not be new. I assumed and you know where that gets you! The other thing is that it had some scratchs and dings. Not normal wear, but poor handling in my opinion. I almost bought it anyway, but figured if I am gonna buy used, then I'll buy from a guy in a parking lot who aint gonna ask questions(what loop-hole);)

Thanks for all the good advice. And sorry to waste your time.

-slug

Latest posts