New Model 45 Convertible

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Retired W4

Bearcat
I was just offered a NM BH convertible with the 4 5/8" barrel. Serial number is 45-35xxx, which looks like a fairly low SN for a NM 45, but then I really can't tell. From the crappy phone pictures it looks to be in very good condition, with both cylinders and all the stuff.

I'm trying to get a feel for the market on this one because it's a little outside my knowledge base. Any help would be appreciated.

BamaGreg

Bearcat
I'm assuming it's blued. The market is weird now. Gunbroker prices are out of sight but locally (metro Atlanta) single actions are slow movers. I just bought a stainless Bisley 45 convertible 5-1/2" for $775. Also just sold a 5-1/2" blued Blackhawk for $550 and it took a while to get that.

hittman

Staff member
MSRP on a brand new one is $929. They're still on Rugers web site.

But try to get one.

In a non pandemic regular production world I'd value a USED one in the $600 range. But today? Whatever the market will stand I guess.

It IS a great caliber and to me the BEST barrel length so ….. what's your pucker factor? LOL.

G2

Hunter
When I'm considering, I like to look at it as what can the items be sold for,,,

$600 +/-$50 for the gun. 4.6" is the preferred length.
$125 +/- $25 for the ACP cylinder, usually a very easy sale.

Is the combo worth another $75 to you, sometimes…
Early NM, IMO, this is when Ruger cared what went out the door.

Assuming everything is in 96%+ condition.

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
I was just offered a NM BH convertible with the 4 5/8" barrel. Serial number is 45-35xxx, which looks like a fairly low SN for a NM 45, but then I really can't tell. From the crappy phone pictures it looks to be in very good condition, with both cylinders and all the stuff.

I'm trying to get a feel for the market on this one because it's a little outside my knowledge base. Any help would be appreciated.
Just a note, if the prefix is 45, it is an old model.

Onty

Single-Sixer
Few years ago in this thread https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?406976-Smokeless-powder-cylinder-for-Ruger-Old-Army one reply for my proposal was:

Outpost75;4964338 said:
I don't see the point if it costs more than the .45 ACP or .45 Colt conversion cylinders which you can shoot factory ammo in.

I commented:

Onty;4964685 said:
Good point! However, I have even better one; why somebody would spend for conversion cylinder anywhere from $240 to $365, when for $659.99 could be purchased brand new NMB Convertible 45 Colt/45 ACP?

Really need to sort out if this is an Old Model or a New Model. The Old Models carry considerable collector value because there were fewer OMs in .45 Colt than there were original .44 Flattops. 😲

Right now, the RENE Price Guide shows an OM .45 Convertible in 4-5/8" at $1050.00!