New MK4 nickel magazine has nickel flaking off.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
I recently bought a new Ruger MK4 22/45 pistol. I noticed the extra magazine that came with the gun has some of it's nickel plating on the magazine slot flaking off when I move the loading button up and down. Did Ruger ever make blued magazines for this gun ? Any chance Ruger will replace this magazine ? Is this a common problem ? I think I may strip the nickel plating off this magazine and blue it and see how it looks. What is the difference between MK3 22/45 and MK4 22/45 magazines besides the bases ?

INLINECHEVY6.

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
All the web sites that are selling Ruger MK4 22/45 magazines show them all to be nickel plated. I have a total of 4 and they are all nickel plated.

INLINECHEVY6.

well I guess this old man can be taught ( or shown) a new trick,,,have YET to see one.....:cool::rolleyes:;)
see the ads for the MK IV regular ( Not 22/45 ) and they say stainless......the others now I see they say "silver"......hhhhmmmmmm:unsure:

Last edited:

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
well I guess this old man can be taught ( or shown) a new trick,,,have YET to see one.....:cool::rolleyes:;)
see the ads for the MK IV regular ( Not 22/45 ) and they say stainless......the others now I see they say "silver"......hhhhmmmmmm:unsure:
All the sites I have seen selling MK 4 magazines say they are nickel plated. Magnets stick to them, so they are steel under the shiney stuff.

INLINECHEVY6.

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
I called Ruger Customer Service and they are sending me a new magazine and are having me return my flakey one which is fair. The lady I spoke to said they will be sending a prepaid box for me to send back the flakey one. If I have anymore flakey ones, I will strip the nickel finish and blue them.

INLINECHEVY6.

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
Well I got the replacement magazine for my MK 4 22/45 from Ruger and sent my flakey magazine back to them. The problem now is the replacement one is flaking worse than the one I sent them. I can peel the plating with my thumb nail. I found several videos on YouTube about stripping nickel plating. I will strip the plating off the replacent one and blue it. I have two other factory magazines that seem ok. I have seen pictures of blued MK 4 22/45 magazines on YouTube, but have been unable to find any for sale. I will use the nickel ones and if they start peeling, I will blue them.

INLINECHEVY6.