New member with flattop questions.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mellonhead

Bearcat
I just purchased a OM flattop in 357. I have always wanted one of these and this is the first one I have ever laid my hands on. Its a 4 digit serial# 4 5/8 with the box and paperwork. It has been converted to the transfer bar, but the origonal parts are still in the sealed Ruger return bag. It also has the paper work for the conversion. It is in good working order, but has some wear on it. I would say it is about 90%. Oh yeah, the frame and gate are that beutiful plum color! I'm a shooter and not much of a collector and was wondering if I should keep shooting it or put it away?. Thanks.

Toby

000_0090.jpg

Chance

Buckeye
WOW. That is a nice package. congrats.

I would shoot it. But don't use that box as a target. :lol:

JCW64

Single-Sixer
Don't lose the manual either. Its a rare one dated Sept.56. It should have an insert with the 357 info on it. You can shoot it and probably not harm it but for sure keep everything together as a package. Very nice!

All righty then!

Made in 1956, second year of manufacture.

From the round ejector rod button, it would appear this is a Type 1 Transition gun.

Does your front sight have wavy lines on the top surface?

Getting better!

:)

RugerBoi

Single-Sixer
:D Well Mellonhead, everyone is being real polite here and not coming right out with the the awful truth...You've addmitted to shooting it, so we can't stop that addiction, you already own one of the nicest shooting, longest lasting, well balanced Rugers of the bunch...YOU ARE GOING TO BUY MORE....RB.. Oh and where I live in the untamed southwest of Idaho that box is a $150 or so, the paper $50 to $75 and I can't get a real good look at all the wear on your flattop but $700 to start and then that old set of rubber grips for $75 to $100 and pretty soon you are a dang collector..Now I didn't go dig out the book and see where your sn put your 357 as far as #of grooves and all but this is a fair guess...

Wavy front sight lines and round ejector rod button say Type 1 Transition BKH-34.

Congrats. You have a winner!

According to RENE, in mint condition that could be an $800 gun in a $350 box. That gun almost for sure came with those black grips on it, and the XR3 walnut panels are another $125 or so. Condition "deductions" can affect these prices of course, but your stuff looks pretty nice.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I note it has a tiny turn line on the cylinder. Proper handling will prevent that from getting any worse. When loading or unloading your gun you must pull the hammer to the half-cock position. From this position NEVER let the hammer back down without first pulling it clear back to the full-cock position and THEN letting it down. Doing so will prevent the bolt from dropping onto the cylinder prematurely and causing the dreaded turn line.

:)

MH, welcome to the Forum, good info above and that is indeed a "keeper", and "keep" the box and papers put away in a safe place, high & dry.....as for the gun, you can shoot it, just do NOT ride it hard and put 'er away wet.

Enjoy it, you got a fine 'package' there, will only go up in value....

mellonhead

Bearcat
Thanks for the help guys. I have been lurking awhile and finally decided to join. So it was a good deal at $225? lol

Toby

RugerBoi

Single-Sixer
:roll: Well Toby (an alias I'm sure so the former owner can't find you) someone in the deal is a mellonhead...and I don't think it was you...Say, if that old 357 gets too heavy, I've got an old flatgate 22 .....RB

chet15

Hawkeye
JCW64":7r0p8jnk said:
Don't lose the manual either. Its a rare one dated Sept.56. It should have an insert with the 357 info on it.

I think the insert you are speaking of is the double sided "supplement" that serves as the instructions and parts list for the .357 Blackhawk. This insert shouldn't be in the '56 dated manual however as that manual has the .357 stuff in there anyway. To my knowledge, the rare insert was only slid inside undated Single-Six instruction manuals which were then put in the boxes of the .357 flattops.
Chet15