New member with custom 10/22; Yes there are pics!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

OmegaMan

Bearcat
Hello Everyone!!

I just recently discovered the existence of this forum and thought I would join and introduce myself. I've been reading the 1911 forum a lot too, but it is nice to see an entire site devoted to just Rugers. I currently have several Rugers:

Blackhawk .41 Magnum
KP345 (.45 ACP)
Custom 10/22 (.22LR)

I belong to a gun club and target shoot about once a week. I also own a Sig P226 X-Five, Browning Buckmark Target, and Colt Gold Cup. Yeah, I like to shoot!!

RugerSide.jpg

Ruger1022.jpg

RugerCstmTrigger.jpg

RugerStock.jpg

RugerMB.jpg

Ruger1022ID.jpg

I've had this Ruger 10/22 for about 4 years now and enjoy it immensely. I use it for target practice and also to get rid of vermin around the house such as groundhogs, rabbits, etc. What I love about this rifle is the solid feel and accuracy. It has Volquartsen internals (trigger, etc), Midway flutted match barrel, and a beautiful beechwood stock with cheek and buttstock adjustments. I added the Bushnell scope. The guy who sold me the rifle claims it would do a dime at 100 yards, but the best I can do from rest is a nickel or quarter...then again, I hardly ever shoot 100 yards, I'm usually at 50 with this thing. I need a nicer Nikon scope for 75-100 yard shooting. I am unsure as to why he put the compensator on it, but it is machined out of aluminum. The rifle was new when I bought it, and I only paid a little over $500.00 for it. I would love to know who made the wood stock, and the positioning for your hand is incredible and allows you a lot of grip and control. Does anyone have any ideas as the manufacturer?

Taking this thing to the rifle range is a lot of fun, not just because there is practically no recoil (it shoots like an air rifle) but because of the looks I get when I take it out of the case. Most people have no clue that it is merely a .22LR. Being deadly accurate with it next to guys who can't
shoot a 30-30 worth a damn is kind of gratifying as well. lol.

I hope that my photos are good enough for you guys. There doesn't seem to be a 10/22 "photo thread" on here, so maybe we can get one going??? Post some of your custom 10/22s, I'd love to see them!!!

Regards,

OmegaMan :)

EDIT: I'm adding my most recent 50-yard 12" target.

1022Target.jpg

Snake45

Hawkeye
That stock isn't my cup of tea but there's no denying the superior craftsmanship in it. Beautiful work.

Boomer

Single-Sixer
As suggested, form following function sometimes creates shapes not artfully pleasing to the eye even if the right "tool" for the job. My preference for wood is more factory-like, with functional performance improvements that make sense for cost spent. That said, I don't yet own a 10/22 but I do have my eye on a few! :wink: BTW, those pictures were nicely done!

mjh

Single-Sixer
Thats a nice looking piece of furnature, and the internals are right up there. Not my personal style but thanks for shareing. That's part of the joy of a 10/22 make your own!! Really nice!!

I like it, to a degree, the color doesn't do much for me... but then I'm a black poly guy anyway.

I was kind of questioning the compensator too... on a 22lr is seems kind of silly.

what type of ammo do you find shoots best in it? I've got two 10/22's with heavy target barrels, one has an 18" Adams and Barrett and the other a 16" Green Mountain... both prefer Federal Champion over everything else I've tried.

George63

Bearcat
when he talked about a dime at the 100yd that could have been 1 shot groups, works every time unless you are using 12 gauge slugs

OmegaMan

Bearcat
Blackmore":1rbrovkf said:
Here is a picture of a left handed stock for a right hand bolt CZ 452 Varmint. Looks quite similar don't you think? I spoke to the seller and he is going to start importing these in quantity from the Czech Republic next year for CZ rifles. I wonder if the stock on yours was from the same designer/factory?

pix959731593.jpg

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=144428422

Wow....that sure does look similar, and maybe like some newer design. It looks a bit more "tactical" due to the finger grooves and more squared-off design.

Nice!

Lord, don't use the 'T' word with a 10/22 or you'll start a real hullaballoo...

I'd still like to know what ammo you are using....

as I said, I've found ammo makes a real difference.

as for the 1" group at 100 yards... I thought it was out of my reach until last week. I think with a better scope I could actually possible make it on a good day with my Adams and Bellett barrel.

Here are 3 pictures of 3 different 10 shot groups:
1022grp.jpg

Snake45

Hawkeye
1" groups at 100 with a .22 is possible on a calm day. You need a good rifle and good ammo to do it. Bulk-grade and common field grade .22 ammo won't usually do it, even out of a very good rifle.

My CZ452 American won't consistently shoot 1" 100 yard groups with Federal Lightning/Champion 510 ammo, but it's done enough of them that I'm confident that with better (more expensive) ammo, it would be a consistent MOA performer.

OmegaMan

Bearcat
Sorry I don't have photos to back up my words (I will next time out) but I got this rifle out to the range today for about 2 hours, sighted in the scope perfectly. I was shooting spot-on at 50 yards with the first 75 rounds, and 1" groups at 100 yards with my last 25 rounds.

I was using CCI Mini-Mag HP .22LR Copper plated hollowpoint(1260 FPS) 36 grain ammo. This is the first time I shot this particular brand though this rifle, but it won't be the last!!! This was by far my best performance out of this rifle since getting it, and I had an absolute blast!!! I was using little 6" Shoot-N-See targets and it is so neat to see the little center just splatter apart. I also had another one style Shoot-N-See that is about 10" LxW and has 4 diamond targets in each corner and the larger one in the center. Each of those targets has an 1/8" smaller orange center and I was able to hit each one of those 1/8" orange centers!! I have never been able to do that before. I'm guessing my pistol practice with the Browning Buckmark Target and the better ammo is paying off?

There was a father-and-son next to me shooting an old Marlin .22 MAG open site and it was embarrassing how well I was doing. I let them fire it for fun; think I made their day!! :)

I don't think I'll EVER get rid of this rifle....the fun factor is off the scale and I can't wait for my son to be old enough to be able to learn with this!!!

Regards,

OmegaMan

I love that stock. I've got one on my 10/22 in pictures below.

The brand is F A Enterprises. I bought mine from R and S Precision and they told me it is from the Czech Republic made of European Birch. It was $229 back in June.

I can't get a dime sized group at $100 yards either, but the stock is awesome in a left hand configuration, not sure about the "other side"
IMG00127.jpg

IMG00128.jpg

What's fun at my club is that some folks put the un-hit clay pigeons from the shot gun range up on the berms at times and shoot at them... After getting the rifle sighted in and comfortable on paper... just slide the aim over from the target and start hitting the little broken pieces of skeets that have the orange side up.

Imra

Bearcat
what kind of trigger system do you have in there? if you are really wanting to shrink your groups up i would suggest that you contact tony over at KIDD and look into his triggers, if not his barrels also. personally out of my 15 or so 10/22's the ones that he has built for me are the best that i own. ive only got a few pics up right now but here they are. this trigger is one of his two stage set ups that is 12oz/1.5lb (12oz 1st stage, 12oz 2nd stage). the target picture is only at 50 yards, and is shot with Wolf Match on the left and Eley Match on the right. keep in mind that that is a group after only 50 rounds being put through that barrel and never cleaning it before i went to shoot it. it should definitely shrink some more as the barrel gets seasoned.

IMG_0172.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

OmegaMan

Bearcat
Hello again!!

Well, I've finally gotten a photo of my target from my visit to the rifle range today. This is a 12" Orange Peel target that I hung at 50 yards and shot at with my Ruger 10/22 shown above.

I used CCI Mini-Mag High Velocity (1235 FPS) .22 LR 40 grain copper-plated round nose target ammo. I had used the CCI hollow-points last time, and I got nearly identical results.

My best results are a little less than dime sized. (see photo). I put on dimes, a nickel, and quarter at each grouping for size comparison.

Gotta say, this rifle shoots so much better than I do. What a joy!

Regards,

OmegaMan

1022Target.jpg

LeftDime.jpg