New member with an SP101 ejection issue.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

AcridSaint

Bearcat
Hey folks - I'm a fairly new member and new Ruger owner. I just recently picked up a new SP101. I have noticed that occasionally the cases hang up when I press the plunger.

They seem to be hanging up on the second "step" of the cylinder retaining piece on the frame. The part I'm talking about is the half-moon nub just above the trigger on the frame that keeps the cylinder from falling off the gun when open. Mine has two steps on it, one lower step closest to the cylinder, where the cylinder makes contact and another higher one. It's just a hair too high on the second step, maybe 1/64" or less, but it's enough to catch the case head on ejection if the cylinder is in the right position.

I am wondering if anyone else has seen this. It doesn't appear that the second step has any function beyond cosmetics and I'm wondering if they just didn't take it down far enough at the factory. I'm considering sending it in, but I hate that I'd have to pay to ship back my unfired Ruger for work already.

Thanks for any info you have!

ShakyJake

Bearcat
Hi AcridSaint
A very warm welcome to the Ruger forum. You have a great revolver. I am going to presume that you have the shorter barrel version. With this version when you press the ejection rod you will notice it is just a little too short to completely clear the shells from the cylinder. The adjustment is to hold the muzzle high and give the rod a smart slap to force the empties out with the assistance of gravity. Also make sure that you are supporting the cylinder open as far as it will go. Keep the holes clean, especially if you mix 38 and 357 cartridges. Really small items in exchange for the big enjoyment of the SP101. The 3" version allows the use of an ejecctor rod that provides for full shell ejection. Hope that is some help.
TaKe CaRe
Ted

AcridSaint

Bearcat
Hi - I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that I have the 3 1/16" version. I was actually pleasantly surprised at the extra length of the ejector rod over a snub nosed revolver. The problem isn't that they don't come out far enough, per se, the case head of one case will bind and the ejector rod will not plunge. It catches on the second lip of the cylinder retention thing-a-mabob (no name for it in my exploded view, sorry).

I'll try to get a picture of it to put on here.

Thanks for the reply, I was wondering if I turned everyone away!

AcridSaint

Bearcat
Hi, here are some images of the problem. The first to are "Go" pictures, the position that the case head does not bind in. The second two are bound, in one picture I am actually putting pressure on the ejector rod. The last photo should show the part of the gun clearly, I circled the portion that the case head stops on. Sorry I don't know the right term for the part.
go1.jpg

go2.jpg

nogo1.jpg

nogo2.jpg

hang.jpg

mustang99

Single-Sixer
If you are good with a file there is no need to send it in. The item causing the problem is the cylinder stop button. You can file it down to solve the problem. This should have been caught at the factory but that is a moot point since the gun is now at your house! If you can't file it down yourself, or don't feel comfortable doin it, your gun shop should be able to help or a local gunsmith could surely do the job in about 2 minutes. Make sure to file smooth and evenly across the top of the button. Take off just enough to get the rounds past and be sure not to take too much off. Two or three swipes with the file, check for extraction. If it still hits, 2 more swipes, check. Repeat as necessary. This button is what keeps the cylinder from falling out of your SP when open, it is not found on the larger frame revolvers, as they have enough room in the crane/cylinder to house bearings that keep the cylinder locked in. Just some info on what that thing-a-mabob is for :D

AcridSaint

Bearcat
Hi - thanks for the info. I am decent with a file and was planning on doing it myself, but I kind of wanted to hear someone else tell me I hadn't missed some reason not to do it :) I'll probably knock it down tonight.

Thanks to everyone!

AcridSaint

Bearcat
Hi - just a quick update, I filed it down and now have the case heads clearing it. I had to take off a bit more material that I expected, but I was careful not to lower the height of the cylinder catch.

new.jpg

Montelores

Buckeye
Would someone please clarify this for me? Would the cylinder of an SP101 slide off the crane, if there were no "cylinder stop button" (aka "thing-a-mabob")?

Thank you,

Monty

AcridSaint

Bearcat
Yes, the cylinder will fall off if you don't have the bottom step on the button shown best in my first set of pictures. If you remove the trigger assembly, you can remove the crane and see that the cylinder will slide free of it.

The test fire date was 10/21/09

ShakyJake

Bearcat
Hi,
Glad it all worked out. Like the padding in place to protect the rest of the SP. Not always thot of until first uh-oh. Can't tell its was worked on in pic. Rock On.
TaKe CaRe
Ted

AcridSaint

Bearcat
Hi Ted - thanks for the words. I used a needle file with double and single cut sides and knocked it down with the double then ran the single at the end. I've messed up a few finishes on things with files and/or sand paper, so I learned my lesson about protecting them :D

mudsnake

Bearcat
I'm new to the forum and really enjoy reading about all the things to check on my sp, and so far so good, shoots .357 125g JHP like a dream.