New member with an old Redhawk and a few questions!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RocketFoot

Bearcat
My folks gave me a beautiful, mint condition Redhawk in .44 mag for Christmas! It has the 7.5 barrel and manufacture date is 1982.

I do have a few questions...firstly, is there any concerns about this pistol? I have heard about the barrel lug separating from the frame. My gun clearly has not been fired much (If at all) Everything is still factory tight.

Secondly, grip options! It came with the original wood stocks and a set Pachmyr rubber stocks. I currently have the Pachmyr's on but I'm not satisified with the feel.

Lastly, I would like to mount a scope to this big boy. What are my options? It is not drilled and taped for easy mounting, but I have seen some Redhawks with rings that clamp to the barrel rib.

Hope that's not too much for my second post! Thanks...Rocket

26DEC09%20004.jpg

26DEC09%20002.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
First,, congrats on a great gun for Christmas. Those Redhawks sure are good guns.
Now to address your questions.
If your gun is a 1982 vintage,, do not worry about the barrel seperation issue. That was an extremely small number of guns,, (less than 4 I believe,) and as it happens,, I'm one of those "lucky" ones that it happened to. I won't go into the long story again,, (it's been told before a bunch.) It was a problem of leaving a lube on the bbl threads for a length of time, (like over a weekend,) & then assembling the gun,, with an overtorque crush fit of the bbl to the frame. It was a big concern,, and it took them a while to figure out exactly what caused it,, but they finally did. Enjoy shoting yours w/o worry.
As for the grips. I too have the exact same set on my gun. I actually hand filed away some of the rubber to make the gun fit me better. I like them because they help absorb some of the recoil. However,, there are aftermarket grip makers that can fill your needs. I'm sure some other folks will chime in with their favorites.
As for mounting a scope. Well, you are correct in that a lot of Redhawks do have the scalloped cuts already in the bbl, done by Ruger,, to mount a scope. Since your gun doesn't have that barrel,, your options are; drill & tap,, or if someone makes an aftermarket scope base/mount assy, like a company called B-Square, or Weigland. I do think that there are a couple of designs for them,, as I seem to recall others posting about them. I'd do an internet search for those companies,, or try Brownells gunsmithing to see what they might have for a "no drill & tap" base assy.
So,, I hope I've helped a little,, and I'm sure you are going to enjoy your Christmas present!

Redstick

Single-Sixer
WELCOME to the Ruger Forum, RocketFoot! Congratulations on the Redhawk too!! They're known for being "ROCK-SOLID" guns! There was an issue with the barrels, but Ruger took care of that AND Ruger is known for standing behind their products with excellent Customer Service.
Grip choices are what you have, HOGUE's, or Custom. Forum Member, "executioner" makes some nice Stag Grips... There's several Custom Grip Makers hereabouts - or find some used at a gun show...
Now, there are Redhawk Hunters, with the scallops cut in the rib of the barrel for Ruger's Integral Scope Rings, but yours dosen't already have those cuts in the rib so you could go with a WEAVER Base that mounts in place of the rear sight and clamps on to the front of the cylinder frame.
Enjoy the Redhawk, enjoy yourse'f here on the Ruger Forum, and most of all, enjoy having some GREAT Folks!!! :D

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
I suggest shooting it without a scope for a while first and then consider a scope. Scoped handguns are a love/hate kind of prospect and before you invest in one or modify your really lice looking revolver I would suggest you try to shoot one with the scope and see if you really like it better then open sights.

As for the barrel falling off, I have only seen pics where it happened once and the thread is here:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310125

Definately an experience that would open one's eyes but as said it is a very rare event! Congrats on a nice revolver.

RocketFoot

Bearcat
Well, good to hear about the barrel separation...this thing looks too well built to just fall apart, LOL. I think I will hold off on a scope, however...I do want to get a new set of stocks! I am just not happy with either style that came with it. So far, I like the looks of Houge's over sized wood line. It's just hard to swallow $75-$110 for a set of grips right now. :shock:

The Pachmyr's finger grooves fit my meat hooks OK, but there doesn't seem to be enough girth to fill my palm. They feel like I'm holding a flat piece of plywood cut out like a pistol grip! I need something to fill my hand a little better.

This is my 3rd .44 Magnum (Colt Anaconda and Taurus Raging Bull) Both are great shooters but I am really excited about this new addition to my .44 mag collection! I was expecting a Colt Python from my folks, but I was pleasantly surprised to find this under the tree this year!

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
Another "welcome"!

Sounds like you have the Pachmayr "Grippers" with the finger grooves. those are thinner than the "Presentation" model, which are thicker and more hand filling I think.

I have two Redhawks, and both of them at one time had the Weaver scope mount on them. They wear the permanent scars to prove it. That mount is a no drill, but it leaves some pretty deep scratches. Your gun has a wide assortment of front sight options, another plus for that gun.

You have a great gun, and the only problem is you aren't going to like those other two 44's anymore :lol:

Redstick

Single-Sixer
BIgMuddy":213qzrjw said:
I have two Redhawks, and both of them at one time had the Weaver scope mount on them. They wear the permanent scars to prove it. That mount is a no drill, but it leaves some pretty deep scratches.

Blued guns? A Weaver base did put a few scratches on the cylinder frame of a Stainless gun it came on when I got it, but they polished right out with some fine grit wet/dry paper.

Sam Johnson

Blackhawk
Roll269-9.JPG

On my early Redhawk I found it best to drill and tap for scope mounting. I had problems with the clamp on mounts and full house loads. The other Redhawk has the Ruger gold bead front and the deep "V" rear which I shoot much more than the scoped gun.

Redstick

Single-Sixer
Sam Johnson":19enwpb9 said:
The other Redhawk has the Ruger gold bead front and the deep "V" rear which I shoot much more than the scoped gun.

Them's fine sights for pin-point accuracy, AND quick target acquisition!

ShortBBL

Blackhawk
Nice gift for sure!!

I had Pachmayr Presentations on my Redhawk and it really felt good! I tried the ones you have and they were just too narrow and hard feeling. I loved the Presentation grips and you can find them for around $15-20 on GunBroker.

Enjoy that Redhawk!

RocketFoot

Bearcat
ShortBBL":2myo9qvs said:
Nice gift for sure!!

I had Pachmayr Presentations on my Redhawk and it really felt good! I tried the ones you have and they were just too narrow and hard feeling. I loved the Presentation grips and you can find them for around $15-20 on GunBroker.

Enjoy that Redhawk!
Are the Pachmayr presentations larger than the factory wood? If so, I may pick up a set until I can afford some Houge fancy wood.

Redstick

Single-Sixer
RocketFoot":3pu1vfow said:
Are the Pachmayr presentations larger than the factory wood? If so, I may pick up a set until I can afford some Houge fancy wood.

Yeah; they're far more hand-filling than Factory.

RocketFoot

Bearcat
Redstick":3q1mvxij said:
RocketFoot":3q1mvxij said:

Yeah; they're far more hand-filling than Factory.

Sounds good! I just ordered a set of presentations off ebay for $15!

I really like these...

pix1112885781.jpg

But not for $100 plus...maybe someday, but not today!

RocketFoot

Bearcat
Presentations arrived and WOW! They are a handful! I love them!!

I'll have to get some nice, new pics as soon as I can... 8)

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
Redstick":tiyts4p1 said:
BIgMuddy":tiyts4p1 said:
I have two Redhawks, and both of them at one time had the Weaver scope mount on them. They wear the permanent scars to prove it. That mount is a no drill, but it leaves some pretty deep scratches.

Blued guns? A Weaver base did put a few scratches on the cylinder frame of a Stainless gun it came on when I got it, but they polished right out with some fine grit wet/dry paper.

Both SS guns...The grooves on the frame are pretty deep. Polishing made them a little less noticeable, but they are still there. Maybe I just need to work on them more.

RockeFoot, the proof in how those grips feel will be in the shooting. I bet you will really like them then.

RocketFoot

Bearcat
BIgMuddy":ncvdirfh said:
Redstick":ncvdirfh said:
BIgMuddy":ncvdirfh said:

Both SS guns...The grooves on the frame are pretty deep. Polishing made them a little less noticeable, but they are still there. Maybe I just need to work on them more.

RockeFoot, the proof in how those grips feel will be in the shooting. I bet you will really like them then.

Yeah, no doubt...I do like the flat butt, it feels very conductive to my favorite 2 handed stance. Will try it out once it warms up a little!