New member of family.....Bisley 45 colt

Help Support Ruger Forum:

45coltnut

Bearcat
Well, I'm new to these forums but not to the Rugers. My first one was a Bisley 41 mag. A good shooter that I'd wish I'd kept many times. I've recently gotten back into shooting my revolvers and my love for the 45colt has been rekindled. But, my urges to shoot hotter loads for deer and hog hunting has led me back to the ever so strong frames of the Ruger single actions.

I must say that I really like the 5 1/2" barrel on the 45 colt that I just got today. The balance is absolutely wonderful. The trigger is another story. But, I'm sure that after some tinkering tomorrow I'll achieve the pull I desire. Hopefully, the creep won't be too bad. I've already checked the cylinder throats too and they're tight as I suspected. I only checked them by dropping sized bullets into the cylinder. And they would not pass through. I tried to measure them with a pair of "plastic" lyman calipers (my good calipers are MIA). But, I could not get accurate measurements. And I do know for a fact that both the jacket and hard cast bullets that I used as a gauge are sized to .452". So, I'll see how it shoots and then I'll probably send it off to CAS at cylindersmith.com.

Well, I had better begin to work up some test loads for "the Beast". Afterall, tomorrow is the 4th and we need to burn some powder and makes things go BOOOOM :mrgreen:

Arky

Single-Sixer
If I were getting a 45 that is the one I would want. 5 1/2 in and Bisley seem to have the perfect feel and balance.

CMH

Blackhawk
Welcome to the forum and thats a nice 45 bisley............ I prefer the bisley over the standard plow handle as well. To see what the 45 is capable of in a 5 shot cylinder read this article ;)

http://singleactions.com/FiveShot45Colts.html

45coltnut

Bearcat
Thanks everyone for the comments.

I do like the 5 1/2" balance and feel.

CMH, thanks for the link! I read this the other day but forgot to bookmark it. So, I read it again :D

Everyone have a Happy 4th! I've got some loading to do.

Rclark

Hunter
Nice! Two pluses : .45 Colt and 5 1/2" barrel (with the writing turned under) :) . I am sure you'll enjoy the revolver.

btlbrn

Bearcat
Excellent choice, hope yours shoots as well as mine. I too didn't like trigger, went with spring kit from Brownell's, I used the 18# hammer spring and pull is now under 3#...........GOOD LUCK.......GOOD SHOOTIN' :D

45coltnut

Bearcat
btlbrn,

Did you have any creep in your trigger? I can deal with pounds, but not creep! I've already got mine modified down to 3.25 lbs. Pull is nice but there's still the dreaded creep.

Also, was or is your cylinder throats undersized?

Here's the group I shot today at 25yds with a nice HOT load of H110 around 1400 fps. Some of it was me due to the trigger.

The first 5 shots were actually a nice group. Right around the 1.5" size. The second group had some flyers.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Any Bisley is a good Bisley. A bunch reside here, including a family of those pretty stainless ones. You'll definitely enjoy it! 8)

btlbrn

Bearcat
45coltnut said:
btlbrn,

Did you have any creep in your trigger? I can deal with pounds, but not creep! I've already got mine modified down to 3.25 lbs. Pull is nice but there's still the dreaded creep.

Also, was or is your cylinder throats undersized?

Here's the group I shot today at 25yds with a nice HOT load of H110 around 1400 fps. Some of it was me due to the trigger.

The first 5 shots were actually a nice group. Right around the 1.5" size. The second group had some flyers.

Yes, but very little creep, I can live with it. Yes throats slightly undersized but it shoots my 255 gr. swc loads very well. :D