New Member Needs Help

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jimbo100

Bearcat
I am a new member and not mechanically inclined. I'd appreciate any help.

Just had a Super Blackhawk hammer and Wolff spring kit installed on my original model Vaquero (not New Vaquero).

I shot it today and it shot fine. When I cleaned it I checked the grip frame screws and the ones in the top rear were loose. I tightened them by hand and the cylinder would no longer turn to the right. Upon loosening the screws the revolver functioned again. I had noticed that after the work it didn't turn freely to the right as my Blackhawk does or as the Vaquero did previous to having the work done.

I'd like to give the smith a clue as he corrects this and to know for my own future knowledge. Having watched the Ruger videos could this be the pawl spring not properly installed? Grip frame screws in the wrong holes vs. original ones? Base pin latch screw too stiff?

Any help to an ignorant novice is appreciated. Thank you. Jim

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Let the guy that installed the new parts figure it out. I would normally say reinstall the old parts and see if the problem goes away but since you didn't do the swap let him figure it out. Sometimes the screw tightening sequence for the gripframe can have an effect on the function if everything doesn't mate-up properly. :D

Precision32

Blackhawk
I would agree with the advise Jimbo357 gave. Give the smith the opportunity to correct his error. You get the gun corrected, he learns from his mistake, you have a better opinion of him or you learn not to use him again.

Now, if you want to learn, swap the screws around and see if the problem goes away. Just keep track of where everything started out so you can put it back in the same place if it doesn't made an improvement. Look at the action of the gun and try to figure out how everything works and what could be making the gun not run right. That's how you learn. If you find something you don't understand, ask. There will be someone hear to help you learn.

Welcome to the Forum!

jimbo100

Bearcat
Thank you all. The smith has it back right now. He thinks the screws are in the wrong places. I'll probably find out tomorrow. I also asked him to check the pawl. We'll see.

DougGuy

Single-Sixer
One of those screws is about 3/16" longer than the other one. If you reverse them, it won't work.

jimbo100

Bearcat
The smith checked it out and the screws were in the right place but there was apparently a kink in the pawl spring. All seems okay now.