new look for the Single Seven

Help Support Ruger Forum:

LSCG

Buckeye
I got my Single Seven a few months back and while I really liked it as it was I had an idea in my head of how I really wanted it to look. after a few months of parts gathering and a few days of work I finally have what I wanted.

along the way I took pictures of what I have done and I thought i'd share them with y'all.

how it looked from the factory and disassembly.

the stock hammer and trigger (right) were replaced with a Bisley hammer and trigger(left).

first mock up. as you can see to match the main frame a lot of material needs to be removed from the grip frame.

after some sanding and file work I have it closely fitted. for the most part it went well but unfortunately I did slip and flatten a corner on the grip frame. i'm not too upset about it since this is the first time I've ever fit a grip frame to a main frame. i'll do better next time.

next up was the front sight, I just don't like the way the factory sight looks so I decided to reshape it similar to Elmer Keith's #5 front sight.

now on to the ejector Rod. there are a few options out there if you want something different but none of them really spoke to me so I decided to modify the one I had. a couple of drill bits, a little time and I wound up with this. I really like how it turned out.

the stock Base Pin (right) was replaced with a Belt Mountain #5 style Base pin (left).

and the final thing to do was make a set of grips for it. I first thought about Ivory but decided to save what I had for future projects, and the Rams Horn I had was too short. then I found something I bought a few years back and forgot I had. it's ancient bone. after a little work I had them fit to the grip frame, it's not quite as good a fit as I would have liked but I had no wiggle room on the blanks so it was this or nothing. for an added touch I used the blind grip screw technique.

all in all i'm happy with the way it turned out!:)

Ethang

Blackhawk
Skeeter had an old article about a Bisely 32/20 he bought when he got out of the service and all the jack rabbits and coyote's he shot with it. I would like to think the Seven makes a good modern Skeeter jack rabbit pistol.

Your looks great. Curious how much the sight mod did to improve the sight picture.

REP1954

Blackhawk
I can tell you had a good time just by the way this gun looks. Thanks for sharing your skill and I also had a good time seeing it. Very nice.

roylt

Hunter
I would like a bit more info on the grips. How do you do the hidden nut?

Looks nice. I hope to make a 22lr one some day.

tom black

Blackhawk
Impressive. I wish they had come from the factory in the Bisley configuration.
Tom Black

medicdave

Blackhawk
Very nice, always feels better doing it yourself than writing a check. Now to get on the waiting list for a BCA sight.

LSCG

Buckeye
thank you Sir! I believe i'd need a lot more practice before I could work on someone else's handgun. :wink:

32shooter said:
That turned out nice!! Maybe I will send you mine and you can do it also. :D :D

thanks!

foytfoyt said:
VERY nice work!

thanks! that story is actually one of the many reasons I got the single seven. really hoping to get a coyote with it soon. about the only difference the sight mod made (at least to my eyes) is the top of the post seems more squared off with much sharper corners. it was mostly done for looks.

Ethang said:
Skeeter had an old article about a Bisely 32/20 he bought when he got out of the service and all the jack rabbits and coyote's he shot with it. I would like to think the Seven makes a good modern Skeeter jack rabbit pistol.

Your looks great. Curious how much the sight mod did to improve the sight picture.

thank you very much! I really did enjoy working on it.

REP1954 said:
I can tell you had a good time just by the way this gun looks. Thanks for sharing your skill and I also had a good time seeing it. Very nice.

thanks Jim!

Hondo44 said:
Dang, nice work!

You have a one-of-a-kind "LSCG Special" with a mini bullseye ejector!

thank you! I believe Cary Chapman was the first person I saw make a set of grips with the hidden nut and ever since I've been wanting to try it. what I ended up doing is drilling through the left panel as I normally would and then I drilled through the right panel just enough for the nut to lie flush with the back. I then filled the hole with JB weld and pushed the nut in (this did fill the threads with JB weld but running the screw in pushed it all out) I then added more JB weld to the top of the nut and let it dry. so far it seems really strong but only time will tell how long it will hold up.

roylt said:
I would like a bit more info on the grips. How do you do the hidden nut?

Looks nice. I hope to make a 22lr one some day.

thank you!

tom black said:
Impressive. I wish they had come from the factory in the Bisley configuration.
Tom Black

thank you Sir!

Bear Paw Jack said:
You certainly know how to tell a story. You do good work too.

thanks Tyrone!

contender said:
Zane,,, that is just plain NICE!!!!!!!!!! Great job!

thanks! it's definitely got me wanting to try some more projects I have in mind. and a Bowen rear sight is definitely something i'd like to get for this.

medicdave said:
Very nice, always feels better doing it yourself than writing a check. Now to get on the waiting list for a BCA sight.

thanks!

Kevin said:
That is a super job! I'm sure it puts a smile on your face Everytime you shoot it.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
A very nice carry piece with the smooth barrel and Bisley workings! I'd have to tape up those grips before traversing any wire fences or thornbush! Good call!

ncrobb

Single-Sixer
Nice job Zane. Between you and Sharps posting your excellent work I am about ready to jump on a project I've been wanting to do.

LSCG

Buckeye
eric conrad said:
Outstanding work :D I have the same model and I'm happy with it but after looking at yours I now have ideas :)
Thanks for posting this. Eric

thank you!

mohavesam said:
A very nice carry piece with the smooth barrel and Bisley workings! I'd have to tape up those grips before traversing any wire fences or thornbush! Good call!

thanks!

ncrobb said:
Nice job Zane. Between you and Sharps posting your excellent work I am about ready to jump on a project I've been wanting to do.

thanks Robb!