New Light Weight to join the others

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunlovebirds

Bearcat
Well maybe not new... but new to me. But completing this portion of the collection of one each LWAC catalog models.

37b6947f-17f0-4fda-ad61-17c731af3ac5_zpsewdzuz4c.jpg

On the left - Tri-Color (flat gate), Blue Alloy Cylinder, Blue Steel Cylinder
On the right - Factory second "S" on bottom of frame, Blue and martenized alloy cylinder.

Too bad these never caught on. The second feels great and balances nice with the larger grip and slightly lighter frame ad barrel.

SATCOM

Blackhawk
gunlovebirds,

Nice very nice! :shock: Soon as I saw the tricolor with walnut grips (XR3-RED), I guessed it would be an "S" gun. With a closer look a round gate and straight trigger. What does the "defect" on it look like? Streaks on cylinder frame? Could you post a close-up picture?

The blue gun with martin hard coating gold cylinder; any more information you can give us? Did you make it? I respectfully ask only because I never heard anything like that before.

That is a very fine group. My little group ( LWAC, LWAC blue, LWSC) is missing the "S" gun but I have another tricolor with a round gate that was argued for long time as possible or not possible. Any "S" OM would finish my collection but one like yours is the best.

Thanks for sharing.

SATCOM

gunlovebirds

Bearcat
SATCOM,

Glad you enjoyed the pick and could spark little curiosity. Hope you can find a tri-color second. Definitely one of my favorites. Looking for a blued second now.

Not sure what you are referring to as the defect? The off color portion on the cylinder frame near the cylinder rod button is grease applied little think. Unfortunately i'm aware from them for long periods and have little bit better piece of mind doing that, the spot on the cylinder is a reflection.

This pistol was my second or third Ruger revolver and the one that sparked my start and interest in collecting. I purchased it not because of rarity or collectability but its balance and fit in my hand. After researching it later I realized what it was.

So the odd one... Any guns I customize are so far out there or parts guns I try to fix. I've had people tell me that this and the second's cylinders where switched. They don't fit, tried it once. I bet there is a fun April Fools joke in there some where with the right person and set up though.

I know little about the pistol, some you just have to buy when you see it. I do know i'm the second owner. The first owner has since left us. He was a great guy I only knew through the local sportsman clubs. Never knew his interests in Rugers until his wife started selling his guns. (posthumously) From what I heard he had a good friend or relative that worked at Ruger and would get him some of his guns. He had early guns of different models and some oddities or short run variations. My best guess is this falls into the "parts bin" theory i've heard mentioned before. The serial number sorta fits; 205831

DSCN0164_zpsxnvt5keq.jpg

Hope this answers some of your questions.

contender

Ruger Guru
A nice batch of LWAC's for sure! Now, you need the boxes, the manuals, the paperwork, the shippers etc! (Just call me the enabler!) :D

SATCOM

Blackhawk
gunlovebirds,

Is not a "S" (second) gun by definition one that the manufacture notes a cosmetic flaw (defect) but all aspects of gun work safely and properly? SR advertised them as "minor visual surface finish blemishes". I have only seen one picture of a tricolor showing the cosmetic flaw (White splotches on cylinder frame from Dougan's first big book on Rugers, I think). Even his latest book pictures two different "S" tricolors but no indication of the frame blemish/flaw/defect in the pictures.

I was trying to communicate what does your "S" tricolor blemish that made it a second look like and could you post a picture of it.

Looking for blued S gun? Wow that is going a search but isn't it the searching that is half the fun?

SATCOM

contender

Ruger Guru
Sure! Make the search harder & longer, (and more expensive!) Seriously, finding just the boxes, much less the shippers is HARD and expensive. But, they do appear from time to time!

street

Hunter
RR! I wonder if the Gun, Box and Shipper for 200565S was marked without the "S" and then brought back from shipping to have the "S" added to the serial number of the gun but they forgot to add the "S" to the Box and Shipper. Does anyone else have a Lightweight with an "S" that is marked with the "S"on the box?

gunlovebirds

Bearcat
My Tri-color second doesn't really have anything wrong with the frame but has the S stamped on the bottom. What is the difference between the S after the SN# and on the bottom of the frame?

S4200001_zpsihy1pcq5.jpg

radicalrod

Hunter
Well I couldn't find the pictures of my LW with the S stamp on the bottom....

I am sure I have it somewhere :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't have Chads book handy but they made very few with the S stamp on the bottom....

Maybe a different employee was doing the S stamping that day....I only have one like that....RR

gunlovebirds

Bearcat
SATCOM,

I went back and looked at the LW. I think this must be what is referred to as the "defect" making it a second. The marks are not like the spots from other pictures posted earlier. It looks more of a marbling; I wouldn't call it a lightning or crackling like happens with old blued frames.

IMG_2557_zpszr3uud8t.jpg

Sorry for the confusion and delay. Learnt something new. Thought the seconds were reconditioned pistols that were sent back for some reason.

radicalrod

Hunter
NOPE...the seconds were save for many years than finished and dumped to a KY dist.....

Bill figured the REDNECKS wouldn't care....YEE HAA send me all ya got.....RR

SATCOM

Blackhawk
gunlovebirds,

Thanks for taking the time to take some more pics. Learning is what this forum is about.

RR,

Your pictures of serial numbers with S, are the shinny spots the blemishes that SR did not like?

SATCOM