New Leather Project... the Duke Rig

Help Support Ruger Forum:

M'BOGO

Buckeye
cphilip":2ax9cd8w said:
Yes... And get the DVD set when you can. However it is often being re run on the History Channel too.

Check out Generation Kill, that was another great HBO miniseries.

tinkerer

Bearcat
Nice leather work.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the scan photo of the Duke rig...The rounds with the primers visable appear to have 'dimples' in the primers....Almost like they've been fired...???

w5lx

Single-Sixer
tinkerer":15wahh0y said:
In the scan photo of the Duke rig...The rounds with the primers visable appear to have 'dimples' in the primers....Almost like they've been fired...???

They are 5 in 1 movie blanks.

From Wikipedia:
"The 5-in-1 style of blank, designed to cycle through firearm actions and fit a variety of firearm chambers, is also commonly used in real firearms for dramatic effect. (The 5-in-1 is designed to function in .38-40 and .44-40 rifles and .38-40, .44-40 and .45 revolvers as used in Western movies.)"

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy

Here is my Duke rig that I use in Cowboy Action Shooting. It was made for me by Dave Duclos who was doing business as S.D. Myers about ten years ago. S.D. Myers was an old Texas outfit and Dave claimed he had title to the name.

One thing you might want to think about. The belt on a Duke rig was usually a rough side out folded money belt. That's why there is a line of stitching, it stitches the folded belt together. The belt is hollow and money can be slipped inside at the buckle end. You can't see my buckle, it is under the belt, you can just see the tongue of the buckle through the slot. The other end of the belt slips through the slot, then it gets buckled. Some makers add a stiffener inside, but Dave used heavy enough leather that he did not need to do that with mine. The belt is about 2 3/4" wide. The holsters are lined with calfskin. They are both right handed holsters, but I wear the 7 1/2" Colt on my left side, crossdraw style.

I don't use that shotshell slide anymore, I have a pair that hold 4 shells each and I wear them on either side of the buckle.

IMG_0077.jpg

P.S. Those are not Five in One Blanks. Five in One blanks don't look like that. Five in one blanks look like a 38-40 shell crimped over. Those are dummy rounds. The primers have been fired, that's why they are dimpled. New bullets have been seated in the spent brass, without any powder inside. Sometimes shooters will put dummy rounds like that in their belt loops, just for show. You have to look close to realize they are not live ammo. And that sure does not look like any kind of Colt I have ever seen. The trigger is all wrong. Compare it with the triggers on my Colts.

w5lx

Single-Sixer
Driftwood Johnson":1wf7kflx said:
P.S. Those are not Five in One Blanks. Five in One blanks don't look like that. Five in one blanks look like a 38-40 shell crimped over. Those are dummy rounds. The primers have been fired, that's why they are dimpled. New bullets have been seated in the spent brass, without any powder inside. Sometimes shooters will put dummy rounds like that in their belt loops, just for show.

You're absolutely right Driftwood. I looked up photos of 5 in 1 blanks and they have the crimped over cases. The article on the Duke's gun mentioned that it was modified to shoot the 5 in 1 blank cartridges and I just assumed that's what they were. Dummy rounds makes much more sense.

I love your S.D. Myres holsters. They are quite rare. I have a very old one made by the original S.D. Myres Company in El Paso that is made for my Colt 1911.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Good Lookin' rig Drift and well used too. They do seem to improve (any gun rig) with use over the years if you can keep the verdigris and dry rot out of 'em. In the one I made up, I didn't bother slotting the end of the full size belt...heck, I can't remember the last time I carried $20 gold pieces on my person...Rodfac