New Leather Project... the Duke Rig

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
I like the contrast and how the holster matches the billets where the buckling is done (not sure what they are called). That's a nice setup with the 32.

The Birds head in my avatar is a 45c and I really like the grip. I have loaded some stout loads and the Birds head handles just fine or at least no worse than the regular plow handle. I also added a Birds head grip to my older 32 Single Six and it makes a dandy little gun.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Thanks JWhitmore....Always wondered how that funny grip would work out...High Standard used to make one back in the early 60's on one of their .22's

Thanks for the compliment Dale....weather's gotta break in a few weeks...we'll shoot sooner or later...

Dave

Rodfac

Blackhawk
alaskamace...the girl at Tandy's advised "Carnuba Creme"...a milky white creamy solution that goes on with a paint brush, swabs or fleece pad.

I did two coats and it's not affected the light color at all, feels just a little 'waxy' to the touch but retains the same rough out look that I was striving for.

Haven't used it enough yet to see how it protects from the usual gun grime that accumulates on a gun belt. For my hard outer finish gun belts, I clean them up with Lexol or saddle soap. This rough out has the same feel as suade..so I'll be interested to see how it works out.

Sorry for the late response...was up in Buffalo NY for 3 days with a cousin who does custom knife work...whipped up a 5" fighting/survival knife for #2 son who's now flying out of Kabul. Gotta get at the sheath work for it now.

Regards, Rodfac

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I talked to a holster maker in arkansas a while back and what he suggested is to make up different cal ammo strips and swap them out for the particular cal when carrying. He made them up for whatever you wanted and attached them with chicago screws. Seemed like a good Idea to me because I have all calibers ruger makes in 4 5/8" and could use 1 holster for most with no problem except for ammo fitting.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Tommy...yep that's the plan for now...I've got a large caliber gunbelt with 18 loops across the back, that works for .44 and .45 LC. I've tried .41's but they're pretty loose, but Keith once recommended threading a shoe lace through the loops to tighten them up for a smaller caliber. I'll have to try that.

The Duke Rig, with its thinner rough out leather, was built specifically for smaller calibers: .357, .32-20, and .32 Magnum. To keep the weight down and to allow multiple caliber use, I did not add loops across the back. All three of those "3" calibers work well in the slide on loop I've built for it. It's a lot lighter in weight than my single thickness heavy caliber belt, so much so, that I may make up a large caliber slide on with just 12 loops to allow for use with a heavier gun. It's just so d----d comfortable that it begs everyday use.

Too, the slide on I've already built for the smaller calibers, is lined with deer skin which in combination with the rough out leather of the belt itself, effectively sticks the slide in place where ever you put it. No need for the add'l Chicago screws.

Thanks for the response.... Rodfac

cphilip

Bearcat
On a related note...

I had read sources that John started using this rig about 1950 or so. And he used it practically in every Western movie after that point. Along with the gun with the characteristic Yellowed fake Ivory grips that he made.

Last night I watched Angel and the Bad Man, which was made in 1947. I can confirm that he was not wearing this trade mark belt and holster nor the gun in that early film.

cphilip

Bearcat
A quick phone cam picture (wow is that fuzzy and bright!) of how my set is coming along. Leather by Red Dog leathers out of Kentucky....

IMG00024-20100205-1405.jpg

Hopefully the Sun will come out and I can get a good picture this weekend.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Nice rig, Cphillip...stitching those .22 loops has to be one of the most tedious jobs in leather work. How's the comfort level? I find that I'm wearing the Duke outfit more often than my heavier rig just for the comfort...even with the heavier 6-1/2" barreled Rugers in .44 or .45. Rodfac

cphilip

Bearcat
I can only imagine Rodfac. They look excruciating to do.

Feels great at this point. I am not used to Western rigs though so I have little reference point. I do know it is lighter than I actually anticipated. I am at this point letting the gun relax the holster and hopefully this rain will clear so I can wear it outside and shoot with it.

Oh and guess whats on Turner Channel right now? True Grit! LOL and the Shootist to follow.

He was using the rig in True Grit but did not use it in The Shootist.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Haven't seen The Shootiist in a while...seems like he used something similar if not the same rig. El Paso Saddlery has a rig they call the #44..advertised as a rough out money belt with a center strap holster similar to your's.

Good rigs...I've made up a slide with .357 loops that works well and keeps the weight down.

Rodfac

w5lx

Single-Sixer
cphilip":1nqnquby said:
Oh and guess whats on Turner Channel right now? True Grit! LOL and the Shootist to follow.

He was using the rig in True Grit but did not use it in The Shootist.

Good eye! I watched True Grit for a few minutes last night and confirmed that it was the same rig that Rodfac has duplicated. As I recall, in the Shootist, which was his last movie, he used a couple of Great Westerns in a different rig.

cphilip

Bearcat
He did indeed. He was using a solid smooth brown leather belt and holster with no adornments in the shootist. The guns were both very ornate. Lots of engraving. Seemed like they were plain white ivory grips, not yellow. He carried one in the holster and one just tucked in the belt at the belly.

Sometimes in the later movies its rather hard to see the belt at all. He normally wore a jacket that covered it a lot. Normally you would see that yellow grip frame sticking out was all but get glimpses at the belt which, by this time as rather dirty so was darker and harder to tell. He looked this way in True Grit. And of course, as previously mentioned Angel and the Bad Man predated his development of this Rig.

It is most often said he used it in "most" of his western movies from 1950 on. It will be fun to notice which ones. I find myself spending time trying to identify the Guns in many movies. I guess I am easy to amuse.

cphilip

Bearcat
If anyone wants to play along with the "spot the Duke rigs" then go to this site and click on the "on air movies" link and it brings up a running list of any John Wayne movie that is scheduled to be aired. Seems like a couple or more each day somewhere to be seen.

http://www.johnwayne.com/

I think the rig was also worn in Rooster Cogburn (and about any movie that particular one eyed character was used including true grit)

He is not wearing it in Comancheros

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
cphilip":154nln89 said:
I find myself spending time trying to identify the Guns in many movies. I guess I am easy to amuse.

I do the same thing :)

Think you will see that rig in Rio Lobo, Eldardo, The Cowboys, and Cahil, maybe Big Jake. Looking at the Link you posted there are a lot more too :)

M'BOGO

Buckeye
I think it is a geek thing. When I was a kid, my dad would not pay attention to a scene if there was some name item in the scene that he was studying (Tiffany window, or lamp for example). I pause scenes to look at leather or firearms. I try to keep my "this is 20 years early for that" comments quiet, so I'm not unbearable to be around.

cphilip

Bearcat
You can have great fun with both the guns and accessories in Band of Brothers. They are passing by and to the left and right all the time. Many of them correct in this film.

M'BOGO

Buckeye
cphilip":5n5pccct said:
You can have great fun with both the guns and accessories in Band of Brothers. They are passing by and to the left and right all the time. Many of them correct in this film.

The HBO Band Of Brothers, with Ron Livingston? That was very well done, looking forward to The Pacific, this spring.