NEW LCP MAX PISTOL INTRODUCED

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
The more I look at the LCP Max and after having watched a few videos of it on YouTube the more I like it. The sights and capacity are game changers from the rest of the LCP lineup.

Pros
10 or 12 round magazines
Tritium front sight
No magazine safety disconnect or external safety
5 lb trigger
10 oz
Still truly a micro pistol that will fit in your pocket

For those who don't like plastic or 380 this ain't for you.

My first carry gun back in 2009 was an LCP. Easy to fit in your pocket and barely noticeable. Around 2012 or 2013 I switched my EDC to an LCR and it is still the gun I carry 95% of the time. I prefer revolvers for carry and general shooting. I've felt confident with 5 shots for years. Plastic is not a concern for me on autos or revolvers, though K frames are my favorite guns of all. I eventually got some of the 7 round magazines for my LCP (upgraded to a Custom model with actual sights) and found the extra round made the grip much more shootable but still rarely carried it.

But to basically get a gun in the same size range as my first edc but have 13 rounds on tap instead of 5 and little chance of a reload or 7+1 in my LCP Custom seems like a natural evolution in carry.

I'm not going to go buy one immediately but could see picking one up after they've been out for awhile and prices stabilize.

hpman66

Hunter
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I_QzoYnZSP8
New Ruger LCP Max Review 380 ACP
sootch00
Published on Jun 30, 2021

mac66

Single-Sixer
I guess more is better.

I wonder what's next, a double stack 32acp?

Ruger would do well to focus on giving the gun a better build quality that just increase it by a few rounds. I cannot imagine anyone remotely interested in a LCP at a MSRP of $449.00. There are much better quality Pocket guns out there. If you do have a current LCP I would say just keep it. Lol, more is not better. If you cannot get the job done on the first few rounds then you are most likely dead anyway. These are not Combat firears. They are for civilian self defense.
Being quick to the draw is most important and the first round fires usually wins. Yea, you might get to be very lucky and be the guy that gets to fire the second shot, but do not keep pressing your luck. Focus your training on the first few round not the last three of a Double stack magazine. Especially ridiculous for a Pocket Pistol.
$449? Seriously? Not me, I pass.

I do like the sights but not worth the price difference, in my opinion. I have a LCP II.
7 + 1. If I ever have to use it, and need more than 8 rounds, I am no longer in a defensive situation... I am now at war.

davevabch said:
Ruger would do well to focus on giving the gun a better build quality that just increase it by a few rounds. I cannot imagine anyone remotely interested in a LCP at a MSRP of $449.00. There are much better quality Pocket guns out there. If you do have a current LCP I would say just keep it. Lol, more is not better. If you cannot get the job done on the first few rounds then you are most likely dead anyway. These are not Combat firears. They are for civilian self defense.
Being quick to the draw is most important and the first round fires usually wins. Yea, you might get to be very lucky and be the guy that gets to fire the second shot, but do not keep pressing your luck. Focus your training on the first few round not the last three of a Double stack magazine. Especially ridiculous for a Pocket Pistol.

The LCP II MSRP is $409.00… :roll: so the LCP Max LIST is $40.00 more….doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

hittman

Staff member
NH Rugerman said:
….doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Just depends on what a fellows wants, needs, expectations and experiences with the guns are.

For a small 380 I'll stick with the PPK.
For a small 9mm the G43 is MY ticket.

I'm apparently a slow learner and have owned 4 of the LC (Little Crappy) guns. The LCP in 380, LCP-II in 22LR, a LC9 and the LC9 Pro. They all now reside elsewhere. Thank God.

mac66

Single-Sixer
davevabch said:

$449 is MSRP, they're already running $399 on grab a gun. Eventually, when the panic and the demand tapers off street price will be down around $300.

Don't forget the LCP II was being sold for around $220 in 2019 BC (before covid) and I bought my LCP around the same time, new for $160.

And while I agree with you about the benefit of hi-cap pistol for most self defense situations, having more rounds in a very small package the same size as a single stack pistol is not a disadvantage.

I have carried several different pocket pistols. I had a Kel-tec P3AT for a polymer pocket pistol. Then I made a sideways move by getting on the LCP bandwagon. When the LCPII came out with real improvements over the LCP I bought one and like it. For the .380 round, it is a perfect deep carry pocket gun.
However, I recently bought a Springfield Hellcat 9mm. I like it. With a 13+1 capacity and still able to carry in my pocket, why not go with the 9mm?

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Nobody is buying the Max 9 around here, and I see a similar fate for this one. I'm a big fan of .380 pocket guns so I will admit I would be interested if they added a manual safety like the LCP .22.

I am a big fan of Pocket guns. Have thousands of rounds down range with many. I have belonged to a club of 380 shooters since the LCP first came out.I have owned many LCP's. Just not a fan of a gun that does not hold up very long. There are much better quality 380's out there. I am a Ruger Fan, but this new Max is nothing more than putting lipstick on a pig. I hate to bash any gun, but Ruger could have done better. My last purchase was the LCP22. I use it and the LCR22 for training for the pocket guns, as my club has informal competition each month and have been for years. I hate the stupid trigger on the LCPll's. I would never carry one. I can shoot the LCR much better and the LCR is much better quality and seldom has any failures. The stupid safety of the LCP22 is obnoxious. Constantly pulling it down and then momentarily wondering why it failed. Ruger is not doing the 380 fans any favors. They are playing to the fad market of more rounds which sells to the newbie. Heck, I saw LCPll the other day at my LGS for $239. And IMO that is high for the quality you get. But a much better value for the money than the Max. Ruger must be making millions off of these cheap guns. I will give the points for that. And of course the LGS did NOT have any 380 ammo to sell. Go figure.
This is NOT the time to buy a 380! If you must get the LCP22 and start training and practicing with it and wait until prices come down on the Max, recalls have been done etc. Small Pistols require diligent training. They are NOT hard to shoot, but just have a longer learning curve. And you cannot do that without ammo.

cyphertext

Bearcat
I purchased a LCP Max on launch day. I don't have a lot of experience with the previous LCP models. I have shot them when friends brought them to the range but never really liked them. I do have a LCP II 22lr, and the LCP Max is about the same footprint. The trigger feels very similar between the two and the sights on the Max are definitely an improvement. These are selling for $379 currently at big box retailers like Cabela's. About $50 difference that covers the cost of the sights.

I put 100 rounds through my LCP max yesterday in one range session without any discomfort which most would say that the other LCP models are not fun to shoot. The LCP max shoots like a bigger gun. Easier to shoot, better sights, and more ammo in a similar sized footprint… What's not to like?

VictorLouis

Single-Sixer
I saw my first one price below 400 at 379. I almost bit, LOL.
Thing fits just right, and is a natural pointer for me.
I'm an oddball that would also like to have the manual safety, but...
it's certainly intriguing.

I have a first gen LCP. Never understood the problem with its sights. I was able to shoot a rat at 30 feet. One shot one kill. I also killed an Armadillo with it, cause that is what I had. None of the later LCP's held any fascination for me, but the Max version has me intrigued. For those that dislike the LCP so much be aware shooting 100's of rounds through it at a sitting is what destroys them. It is an Carry a lot and shoot it enough to be familiar. It isn't a war gun.
gramps