New KP90 last round jams

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Fishslayer

Single-Sixer
Happy New Year, everybody.

This site was suggested by someone on another forum. It certainly looks like I've come to the right place. At the moment I own 2 Rugers. The KP90 and a 10/22 All Weather I bought last year to replace the one I had stolen in the 70's. (I know. Took awhile) Oh yeah. If ya wanna see me wound up, get me started on painted aluminum receivers.:twisted:

I bought the KP90 new in November & it's been a jam-o-matic from day one. In 3 range sessions and about 350 or so rounds it's gotten progressively worse.

1st session-150 rds, 4 FTF.
2nd session - 100 rds, several FTF, didn't keep track.

All FTF were on the last round in the mag. The bullet hung up on the feed ramp.

3rd session-100 rds, I loaded all 4 mags with 3 rds at a time & marked them with a Sharpie. The jams were almost exactly equally divided amongst all four mags. All four mags FTF the last round about 50% of the time. In all cases the bullet hung up on the feed ramp. In one instance I actually felt the slide hesitate on the last round then finished it's trip forward.

The weapon was cleaned & oiled after all sessions, and before the first one.

All 4 mags are new factory mags.

Ammo was all 230gr FMJ, Winchester WB, Remington, Armscorp and Federal brands.

It's going back to Ruger unless there's an easy fix. I left a voice message earlier this week but I really don't expect a response till after the Holidays, if at all.

Any tips on getting anything out of Ruger customer service? I've seen spotty reports, which is kinda usual for any customer service department. So far I'm not overly impressed.

Any ideas? I'd really prefer not to mail off my pistol. I DID put a Taurus .357 wheelgun in People's Republik pistol jail. :wink:

Thanks in advance.

fishhawk357

Bearcat
I had the same problem with mine and changed out the recoil spring to a heavier one from Wolf springs. I believe I went with he 16 pound extra power, I will check to make sure, but all my failure to feed problems did go away.

Fishslayer

Single-Sixer
Would the recoil spring only affect the last round in the mag?

Gotta say, the gun does chuck the brass a fair distance. Most of it winds up in front of the line where I can't reach it with a long handled pushbroom... :(

The only other .45 I've fired were Military loads in 1911s. The recoil of the Ruger is definitely softer. I figured it was the lighter factory loads?

Think I might go to the range tomorrow & see if I can push the slide closed on that last round or maybe get a better idea of what exactly is happening.

I inspected the feed ramp today & found that it does have a a small ding about 1/8 or so from the bottom of the ramp & about halfway from the left side to the center. Looks like someone hit it with a sharp center punch.

hehe... a stronger spring would keep the wife out of it. She can't pull the slide back with the spring that's in it. :lol:

fishhawk357

Bearcat
On my pistol I tried polishing the breech face, extractor, feed ramp anything that I felt the rounds would hand up on. I also would give the back of the slide a good hit with my hand to close the gun in order to be able to fire. At one point I oiled the breech face heavily as I was thinking that was my problem area and it did in fact help....but....when dry it was a no go. I tried the spring on a whim......I forgot who told me to try anyway. It worked. Never got another jam. Go figure. Spring was cheap and I didnt have to send my gun back to Ruger, so for me it was a win. Might be worth a try anyway. Good luck with you gun, hope you get t sorted out.

carolinacummins

Single-Sixer
Although I've never had a problem with my P90 and P97, I run heavier Wolff springs in both and they run flawless. Nary a problem with any load.

Fishslayer

Single-Sixer
Thanks for that! I'll try a heavier spring before I mail it to Ruger. I'm not overly thrilled with the ding in the feed ramp but it doesn't LOOK like it's in a position to cause a problem. I'll have the local 'smith have a look.

The ramp itself is fairly smooth but it has a brushed sort of finish with the striations going perpendicular to the path of the round.

Might let a couple of the boyz at the range have a go with it as well. Never know. It MIGHT be me, but I doubt it.

railroader

Single-Sixer
I'm thinking the tension on your extractor might be off. My p97 was stove piping the ejecting cases. It seemed like the extractor was letting go of the empties too easily and they weren't making it all the way out of the gun. I pulled the extractor and put more tension on it. Hand cycling the gun with dummy rounds the gun started to have a problem with feeding. The extractor tension was too much and the rim of the round was having trouble sliding under the extractor hook when feeding. I pulled the extractor again, took a little tension off and lightly polished the edge of the extractor hook so rounds could slide into claw easily when feeding. I ran 100 rounds through it yesterday and it ran perfect.. One way to check your extractor is to take your slide off the frame. Now take an empty shell and slide it under the extractor hook. It should stay there but not have too much tension or your gun will have trouble feeding. Pulling the extractor is easy. You need to push it outward while pulling it forward and it will come right out. I used a small screwdriver to do it. It goes back in reverse. Mark

Calthrop

Single-Sixer
CAUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dings on feed ramps and changing around springs in a autopistol are things to be considered deeply.
Example: The recoil spring is for the return of the slide after the shot; we all know that. However placing too heavy a spring that slams the slide back can cause battering of the barrel cam and the slide face. Many folks found out the hard way trying to control slide speed in 10mm Auto's.

The recoil spring and the main or hammer spring need to be in balance in semi-autos because the main/hammer spring is there to retard the slide in concert with the recoil spring. This balance is critical in the falling block system JMB invented a hundred and three years ago.

If I were you guys I would also be looking at my slide stops. Ruger makes all the mags so they may have funky followers too. Especially because the problem occurs with all the types of ammo.

As for dings on the feed ramp. That is for a qualified gunsmith as is the all of the above IMVHO if you plan to use this gun for CCW. Calthrop

Fishslayer

Single-Sixer
Thanks for that. I contacted Ruger and the tech thought it could be the ejector, too. He talked me through tweaking it. Went to the range & got almost 100% last round jams. :(

It's been in Prescott for two weeks now. Guess they must have a whole lot of broken/defective pistols...

Fishslayer

Single-Sixer
Got my KP90 back today.

Ejector repaired. I expected that.

Huh? Magazine follower repaired all four magazines.

These were brand new mags. 2 came with the gun and 2 were ordered elsewhere. I tell ya. Sure feels like the mag springs were changed. Gotta really strain on #7 & 8.

Wonder if a bad batch got out & Ruger doesn't wanna talk about it? :twisted:

In the meantime, I picked up THIS beauty. She'll be at the front of the safe till the Ruger earns my trust...

100_1043_edited.jpg

EDIT: OK... why no image? :evil:

Mike J

Hunter
I copied & pasted the link. It really is a nice looking revolver. I'm going to show my ignorance now though & admit I don't know exactly what model it is.

Fishslayer

Single-Sixer
Mike J":3ghnz1ln said:
I copied & pasted the link. It really is a nice looking revolver. I'm going to show my ignorance now though & admit I don't know exactly what model it is.

It's a 1964-1965 S&W M28-2 Highway Patrolman. .357 Mag, as a revolver SHOULD be. :wink:

Mike J

Hunter
I thought it was a Smith but I don't know enough about their different models.
Do let us know how the P-90 does now.

Fishslayer

Single-Sixer
Schwan":762or396 said:
how does the P90 shoot now?

Planning on a range trip this Wednesday. I have a Taurus revolver (another .357) there in PRK pistol jail and Wednesday is my pickup day.

Gonna be a busy day. 2 new-to-me revolvers, the newly repaired KP90 and my 10/22... I did some work on the sights (Tech TSR-100. VERY nice sights, BTW).

And I'll be testing my first batch of .357 (well, really .38 +P in magnum brass) and .45 ACP handloads.

7mmb

Bearcat
I had the same problem with my P90 with two new Ruger mags. The jams on the last round were caused by the magazine follower tipping forward. I replaced them with Wilson followers from Brownells and solved the problem.

Fishslayer

Single-Sixer
7mmb":35lh0blt said:
I had the same problem with my P90 with two new Ruger mags. The jams on the last round were caused by the magazine follower tipping forward. I replaced them with Wilson followers from Brownells and solved the problem.

Well, hopefully Ruger fixed it. I noticed when I got it back all 4 of the followers looked bright & shiny, somehow "different". I just couldn't believe I could get 4 bad genuine Ruger mags.

We shall see. I REALLY like the pistol. It feels just right in my hand and it's more accurate than I am. Gotta confess, the DA trigger on the Ruger feels better than the Smith (Blasphemy! :twisted:) The SA, well THAT's another thing...