New KNR-9

Help Support Ruger Forum:

transalp1961

Single-Sixer
I was at the gunshow today and one of the dealers that sell Rugers told me one of the distributors is having Ruger make a run of stainless single sixes with the 9 1/2" barrels. Anyone else heard this?

xtratoy

Buckeye
Wanted one but couldn't find one. Finally found a NR9 in great shape with both cylinders. I still wouldn't mind a chance at getting a KNR9. Hopefully the selling price will be lower than the premium price that has been paid due to their scarcity.

chet15

Hawkeye
Yes...have heard of it, but am sworn to secrecy which distributor. The distributor has asked...but that doesn't mean it will get built. Ruger has quite a backlog at this time as it is.
Chet15

I'd be in, if it were for a convertible.

I have a "star" model, but have always lusted for the convertible.

I passed one up a at a show a couple of years ago.

You guys know the rest of the story... :cry:

chet15

Hawkeye
Yes, I think if it gets made, it would be a convertible. They'd probably lay around too long at the distributor and their dealers if they were LR only.
Chet15

flatgate

Hawkeye
chet15":3w0eq0lr said:
Yes, I think if it gets made, it would be a convertible. They'd probably lay around too long at the distributor and their dealers if they were LR only.
Chet15

Interesting observation. I cannot recall the last time I fired .22 mags out of a Single-Six convertible!

Too noisy and expensive......

:D

flatgate

xtratoy

Buckeye
When I bought my Single Six all I got with it was the LR cylinder. I finally found a Mag cylinder for it and have probably shot less than a couple boxs of 22 mag through it. That is in 25 years. Out of curiosity and a NR9 and a KNR5 later I flipped my first Single Six upside down and looked closely and spotted the star stamping on the frame. I always thought that the guy who sold it to me had just lost the mag cylinder. Still, I would just as soon have a convertible, just to have it.

chet15

Hawkeye
flatgate":2im0i2or said:
chet15":2im0i2or said:
Chet15
Interesting observation. I cannot recall the last time I fired .22 mags out of a Single-Six convertible!
Too noisy and expensive......
flatgate

Yes, I agree. I think Ruger proved on a couple occassions with their LR only NM Single-Sixes (the star marked guns and the "arrow" marked guns) that the public liked the "added value" of the extra Mag. cylinder, regardless of whether they shot them or not. Probably why 95% of all the OM Single-Sixes built after 1963 were convertibles.
I can't tell you the number of guns I've seen OM and NM where the Mag. cylinder nary had a round through it, if at all...but would be most of them.
Chet15

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Right. It's simply the consumer thinking he's getting more for his money. seeing that extra cylinder is bonus of sorts to many I believe. I know I cannot recall the last time I fired .22mag in anything.

Blazenet

Single-Sixer
chet15 said:
Yes...have heard of it, but am sworn to secrecy which distributor. The distributor has asked...but that doesn't mean it will get built. Ruger has quite a backlog at this time as it is.
Chet15

Any news?

flatgate

Hawkeye
132835046.jpg

No mag cylinder. Ah, but there's a little "star" stamped on the cylinder frame in front of the lower grip screw.....

It shoots great!

flatgate

Coop

Blackhawk
BlkHawk73 said:
Right. It's simply the consumer thinking he's getting more for his money. seeing that extra cylinder is bonus of sorts to many I believe. I know I cannot recall the last time I fired .22mag in anything.

Here in PA, one cannot shoot semi-auto pistols or rifles for hunting small/any game. Thus, my Mark II 678 can only harvest tin cans, paper cups/plates, plastic devices, and old CD's, etc., when available.

However, my Single Six revolver, with its .22mag cylinder, can stop a fat woodchuck in its tracks. Been there, Done that. Nonetheless, due to PA state regulations, I can't hunt them in PA state parks.

Here in PA, we have over 6 million acres of different types of public land for hunting, but we still can't use semi-autos, nor hunt woodchucks in state parks. go figgure.

Coop

chet15

Hawkeye
Blazenet said:
Any news?

As far as I know its still on the distributor's list. But with all the things going on at Ruger, I'm sure its probably quite a ways down on their list of priorities, if they decide to build it at all.
If advertised well (Ruger website, distributor advertising etc), I think a KNR9 would be fairly popular. I suppose there are a couple there at Ruger that check the running "quantities made" list from all past history to see how well such models sold in the past. This is very possibly having an effect on their plans.
Chet15