new in box 44 mag super redhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jsmith

Bearcat
I recently picked up a ss 7.5" super redhawk nib for $450.00 it was mfg 2006 . Its a good shooter.want to pick up scope,any recommendations?
Cant hunt deer here with hand gun so scope requirement is lower price.
I think my older ss super black hawk in 7.5" with square trigger guard is a little more accurate?Perhaps I need a little more practice with the SRH?

keby

Bearcat
I have a Bushnell 2-7x30 on mine and it has been good to me for the past 4 years or so it's been on the gun. My redhawk is pretty accurate but I could see a blackhawk being a little more accurate. I can keep a really tight group at 50 yards with the redhawk and ok grouping at 100 yards.

Dale53

Blackhawk
I have an early Red Hawk (not a Super) and have been very pleased with it's performance. I have a Leupold 2 power scope on it and have taken several deer with it.

If I were doing it today, I would think seriously about hanging an Ultra Dot Red Dot sight on it. They are fairly reasonably priced (under $200 from Natchez) and will withstand the recoil without failure. They do a FINE job in the field, too.

When shooting offhand, I don't want or need high magnification. I consider that JUST For off the bench. No magnification is fine for me, I just need to see the reticule or dot since my self imposted maximum range with a handgun while hunting is 125 yards.

Dale53

s4s4u

Hunter
I put a 4x Burris on my .480, picked up for a c-note from a board brother. If you look around you can get a good deal on a quality used. A good "cheaper" scope is the Simmons fixed 4x, I have one on a SBH Bisley .41 mag.

qwagmire

Bearcat
jsmith":2h1q5831 said:
I recently picked up a ss 7.5" super redhawk nib for $450.00 it was mfg 2006 . Its a good shooter.want to pick up scope,any recommendations?
Cant hunt deer here with hand gun so scope requirement is lower price.
I think my older ss super black hawk in 7.5" with square trigger guard is a little more accurate?Perhaps I need a little more practice with the SRH?

Where did you get it for such a killer price?! Totally jealous!

Dan480Man

Bearcat
I have a 4X Bauch and Lomb on my 7.5 SRH. It is amazingly accurate from a vise. Very good over a rest, and pretty darn good free hand.
(The more the gun depends on me, the worse it gets!).
I have it set 2" high at 50yds from a vise.
My best real world shot group at 100yds, was 3 shots into 3". That was two hand hold, sitting position, elbows on my knees. (Like In my stand). Thats as good as my rifles in such a hunting position.
I have taken many deer out to right at 100yds with it easily.
Admittedly, they were standing still. Im not good enought to sling lead
that far trying to lead an animal, and adjust for drop!

The weight, and position of the scope make it one super steady, gun, with low recoil.

I have owned 3 other 44 hunting guns.
A 8" Dan Wesson 44, with a barrel mounted scope.
It was very nose heavy, awkward and balanced like a holding a out a 5lb hammer by the handle. I hated it.
I also owned a super 14 Contender 44.
Again, it was ill balanced. The muzzle just seemed to wag alot.
I sold a 8 3/8" 629 for the same reason. Just seemed to wag back and forth. Came up like a machete, not a hunting gun.

Bottom line, when I first shot the SRH, I was in love.
Its ugly as homemade sin, but it grows on you.
The mass is OVER my hand, not out front. Balances perfectly.
Undo the knobs, and you can take off the scope without screwing up
its placement. At least it hasn't on mine yet.
I was so impressed, I bought a 480 SRH as well.
I prefer the matte grey finish for meat gathering.
My one complaint bout the 44 SRH, is that finish CAN
reflect alot if you arent careful.

I definatley have to have a scope outside of about 40yds. I don't see how any further, you can see the vitals good enough, 'cause the sight covers up so much. Not to mention sorting out the image through low light.
I just dont have the peepers for it I guess.