New Hawkeye

Help Support Ruger Forum:

roc1

Bearcat
I got a new Hawkeye for myself. I love the rifle but have a question. My gun does not feed the shells right into chamber they hang going in.You can let up on the bolt and they will pop into place and the bolt will close them in. Is this the mag spring? Ruger will fix it but if this only thing wrong I could just change the spring myself.
One other thing does anyone that have one of these rifles notice that the action is a little rougher than other manufactures are? I guess it will wear in no problem.
It is a good rifle it balance well and is well made great gun for the money
Thanks
roc1

Daveboone

Single-Sixer
Make sure the bolt is fully withdrawn before pushing a bullet home. Are you shooting reloads? if so, is it possible the cartridge is loaded past maximum length? In comparison with my mid 70s production model 70, both my Ruger 77 mk 11s (early -mid 90s) are rougher inside. (maybe I should say, not as smooth). In comparing a new Win. 70 and Remington with a Hawkey, it appears to stay that way still.

roc1

Bearcat
Thanks I did make sure bolt was back and it does ot reloads or factory Remingtons as well. I guess the roughness is no big deal anyway as long as it functions ok.
roc1

6mmsl

Single-Sixer
roc1-mine were rough at first as well. .223 and 30-06 a few hundred rounds later and it was fine.

I believe the feeding ramp from the magazine is a bit rougher from my M77MkII but it went away (the roughnest).

All mine Hawkeye's are stainless/all weather. Do you have the matte blue or stainless you did not mention it and my .223 fed worst when new than the 30-06.

Ruger's to me do seem to cycle rougher and looser than other brands but, they seem to work better in the field when dust and moisture build up.Those looser tolerances are there for a reason.

I always work my bolt actions with authority the design does not favor slow movement of the bolt.

Hope this helps-

Good shooting-Steve

mattsbox99

Hunter
Just get yourself a couple of clean rags, a can of aerosol oil like Rem Oil, and a few hours in front of the TV and work the action, and it will smooth up in no time. They are built tight from the factory. You can make up a few inert rounds to cycle and that should clear up any feeding issues.

Daveboone

Single-Sixer
Good point from above- the action does prefer to be worked briskly.
By chance did you drop the magazine box out disassembling it, and get it in a bit crooked after? I dont think the cover would close properly if not, but just an idea...

roc1

Bearcat
Thanks gentlemen. I did notice the action did feed better fast over slow. I emailed Ruger they said send it back or maybe the mag spring could be a little weak. I would rather try mag spring first. I did not think about gun being looser tolerances, I know Rugers have a dependable always work record. I di polish ramp alittle and helped quite a bit on roughness. I just need it to feed reliably. How does any of yours shoot? Mine can shoot about 1" if I do my part. Mine is matte finish and I have not taken out mag spring.
roc1

Joker

Bearcat
Congrats on the Hawkeye roc1. I have a All Weather Hewkeye 25-06 and love it. It feeds good and is the best shooting rifle I have ever had. I use to have a MK11 with the real bright SS and black stock it was a .270 and it has the hardest kicking gun I had ever shot and I had a .300 RUM that didn't kick as hard as that rifle. I sold it because it got me to flenching. Give your Hawkeye a little time it may come around and start feeding better. Only thing I would like to change on mine is I would like to put a compasite wood stock on mine but can't find any for the Hawkeye have found some for the MK11 but not sure if they would work and kind of afraid to change it because I'm afraid it may not shoot as well with a different stock. Sorry roc1 didn't mean to hijack the tread. Hope you get your feeding problem resolved.

Daveboone

Single-Sixer
Mine is the ultralight (or whatever designation) with the stumpy barrel in .308 (I also have a 300 win. mag, but its a closet queen). It sees pretty heavy use. A number of years ago I put a competition firing pin and spring in, a Timney trigger, and bedded the stock. It is a bit finicky to sight in with that whippy barrel, but it will put the first shot every time in a quarter at 75 yards (which I sight for in my woods hunting up here).
Mine is a tool. It does what it needs to. I honestly dont know what a group would look like out of it.
The .300 keeps in an inch at 100 yards, which is the farthest I can shoot it around here. It is stock except for a Timney trigger.

6mmsl

Single-Sixer
roc1-mine shoot MOA out to 300 yards(my usual hunting shots) with factory Federal ammo.

Mine have little modifications in fact my Hawkeyes are bone stock.

Most of the time I just fiddle with different types of ammo to get the accuracy I want. Usually,ends up being Federal Premium in a Nosler bullet design-Barnes has worked well also.

Good shooting-Steve

Flash

Buckeye
Joker":jqtd4tqc said:
Congrats on the Hawkeye roc1. I have a All Weather Hewkeye 25-06 and love it. It feeds good and is the best shooting rifle I have ever had. I use to have a MK11 with the real bright SS and black stock it was a .270 and it has the hardest kicking gun I had ever shot and I had a .300 RUM that didn't kick as hard as that rifle. I sold it because it got me to flenching. Give your Hawkeye a little time it may come around and start feeding better. Only thing I would like to change on mine is I would like to put a compasite wood stock on mine but can't find any for the Hawkeye have found some for the MK11 but not sure if they would work and kind of afraid to change it because I'm afraid it may not shoot as well with a different stock. Sorry roc1 didn't mean to hijack the tread. Hope you get your feeding problem resolved.
This is the exact gun I ordered a few days ago. I've never owned a stainless rifle or for that matter, a 25-06 and can't wait to get it. I've been kicking the idea of a new varmint rifle around and became pretty impressed with the 25-06 balistics. I too would love a laminated stock but perhaps that can come later. I've never been a fan of the MKII and when the Hawkeye was released, I became interested in Ruger bolt guns again. The stainless finish is flawless on those. I wish the revolvers looked like that. How did you break your barrel in?? sorry to hijack