New guy with a P95 problem...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

koolaid

Bearcat
Well hello all I am new here and am a owner of a P95 that has major issues. I decided a few months back to purchase my P95 after reading all the good reviews on it. Since the day I brought it home it has had some issues. It fails to eject the fired shell causing the next round to jam in the back of it. I have to remove the clip and the spent shell falls out on it's own. I have cleaned it, tried numerous types of ammo, had different people try shooting it all with no luck. I bought the gun new and I can't go threw one clip without this happening. I don't know what else to do but call Ruger and see what they say.

IMG00013.jpg

IMG00014.jpg

perterra

Bearcat
Make sure theres not a burr or powder residue under the extractor. Then call Ruger.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
The problem is likely extractor tension, or lack thereof. The extractor is the little "claw" in the right side of the slide that would grab the rim of the shell and extract it from the chamber.

Honestly, from your picture, I can't see any extractor at all. If it's not missing altogether, then it might be chipped or simply not have enough tension. It should have enough tension to grip a round and hold it against the breach face. To check, take the slide off the gun, and the barrel out of the slide. Push a round into position with its rim under the extractor, and give the slide a little shake. It should hold. If not, the extractor needs to be "tuned" (bent) to the appropriate tension. You'll need to detail strip the slide, remove the extractor, and adjust. Repeat until correct.

If you're not comfortable doing that I'd suggest finding a 'smith or sending it back to Ruger and let them deal with it. If it's a new gun, definitely send it in. Call them and ask for a "call tag" so you don't have to pay shipping. The dealer where you bought it might be able to help, too.

ETA: Check for dirt under the extractor as mentioned above, too...

-- Sam

koolaid

Bearcat
I will look at it when I get home Sam thanks alot yeah it is new with only maybe 150 rounds threw it. It has got worse every time I take it out with me and yesterday I loaded both clips up with different ammo and they both did the same thing doing this with almost every round.

2fast4u

Single-Sixer
could you field strip the gun than take a few pictures? that way we can get a better idea if something isn't quite right on the inside?

kscott

Single-Sixer
Yeah, as everyone else has said, it looks to me like an extractor issue since the brass is not being pulled backward during cycling. Does it eject fine when hand cycling??

jhearne

Buckeye
Welcome to RF.com, for the pics, I'd recommend using a Macro setting on the camera, hard to not notice the turds as that's what it's focused on ;).

Seems like an Extractor issue as well to me.

Josh

koolaid

Bearcat
kscott":3p619y7j said:
Yeah, as everyone else has said, it looks to me like an extractor issue since the brass is not being pulled backward during cycling. Does it eject fine when hand cycling??
It does it no matter how you cycle it.

And as for the camera it was my blackberry I don't think it has any settings.. :lol:

pistolpete

Single-Sixer
Totally an extractor issue. I had same problem. Pull the extractor out and lay it on a piece of paper and trace the profile. Then place it in a vise with wood blocks on vise jaws to prevent gouging extractor. Bend it slightly and compare it to your tracing. If you bend it to much it will be too stiff and it won't feed properly. I was told by a Ruger tech that sometimes the heat treatment process doesn't take and the extractors lose their tension. My P95 has had over 400 trouble free rounds since I adjusted my extractor tension. If you want a new extractor it will run you about $24 + $3 shipping, but Ruger should just send you a new one since it's a new gun.

koolaid

Bearcat
Thanks alot guys for all the responses I looked at it last night and don't see anything that looks wrong but I am no expert by far. I cycled it with the mag loaded by hand and ejects every round fine it is just when you are shooting it. I guess it is because it actuates much faster when a round goes off. I am going to clean it up again then give Ruger a call I am just not comfortable with bending it myself.

A

Anonymous

If you do a search you will find a bunch of post by me about my p95, which did much of the same thing. In the end I sent it back to Ruger for a fix, which would be my advice to you.:mrgreen:

:idea: Since advice is free, take it for what it is worth! :lol:

Snake45

Hawkeye
b.thomas":vtg0qfih said:
If you do a search you will find a bunch of post by me about my p95, which did much of the same thing. In the end I sent it back to Ruger for a fix, which would be my advice to you.:mrgreen:

I'd ask Ruger if I could just send the top half back, as that will be a LOT cheaper than sending the whole gun (the top half can be sent by mail).

Unless, of course, Ruger offers to send you a UPS tag for it, then it's their nickel, no problem!

A

Anonymous

Snake45 said:
b.thomas said:

I'd ask Ruger if I could just send the top half back, as that will be a LOT cheaper than sending the whole gun (the top half can be sent by mail).

Unless, of course, Ruger offers to send you a UPS tag for it, then it's their nickel, no problem!

*Exactly what Ruger did for me...........prepaid label was emailed and shipping/repair was done on there dime. Delivered to my home awhile later, all repaired and working like a Swiss watch.
*they need to have the whole gun to function test the gun, not just part of it. :mrgreen:

koolaid

Bearcat
Well I called Ruger this morning they are shipping me a pre paid label to ship the gun back to them for repair. I will keep you guys updated with the results.

bigfanofsr9

Bearcat
Good luck! Looks like your extractor is pushed in making it impossible to "grab" the brass and eject it properly. Hopefully, Ruger will get you straight.

koolaid

Bearcat
Well here is an update I sent her in on March 30th and just got her back April 26th, they replaced the extractor/ejector. I have not had a chance to shoot it yet but the techs said they ran 20 rounds threw it flawlessly. I have to say Ruger has great customer service and the people on the phones are very helpful and courteous. I will let you guys know how it does on my next outing maybe today after work.

Sorry you had to go through that but you did the right thing. Ruger needs to know about these things and fix them. Not only that they owe you something for your trouble.

let us know how it goes, for sure. I love the P95 and have 3 that work flawlessly, yours should too.

koolaid

Bearcat
Well took it out and put 75 rounds with no problems at all now I might start to love this gun. i am glad Ruger fixed it with no questions asked there has to lemon every once in awhile this is far from a perfect world.

Latest posts