New guy...Mini 30 issue

Help Support Ruger Forum:

WER74

Bearcat
Hi all, new guy here from KY, been lurking a while. I traded for a Mini 30 a while back and finally got to shoot it today. Sweet feeling gun, no problem with accuracy, but when I first put the mag in and pull it back and release, there is a problem with feeding. I have to do it two or three times before the round will chamber. This is a gun with serial number starting in 189, if that makes a difference. Didn't clean it before shooting so I suppose that could be a factor. The mag is the factory five rounder.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Erik

WER74

Bearcat
I haven't oiled it yet. As for the slide, was letting it slam forward. I'm giving the gun a good cleaning tonight and hope to be able to shoot it again soon.

gunman42782

Hunter
Try having the bolt locked back, then inserting the mag, then pull back on the bolt and release.

WER74

Bearcat
The mag was as in there as it can get. I will try inserting mag with bolt back. Also, the ammo was Brown Bear. Doubt that makes a difference for this issue. Thanks!

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
Did you make sure that the hole on the front of the magazine went over the button/pin/knob that sticks out inside the magazine well?

Charlie

WER74

Bearcat
Turns out the rounds weren't seated fully back in the mag. Didn't know I needed to 'pack' em down first. Thanks for all the suggestions. Good info here.