New guy here seeking advice from experience

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cordybarns

Bearcat
hello all glad I've found this group/forum

Just to give a little background, if it even matters..Im married with 4 kiddos and just this year I've taken my wife and kids 14 & 17 to the range close to home to teach them proper gun safety and handling and becoming comfortable operating weapons to aid with possibly having to defending themselves if I'm not around.
our youngest 6 and oldest 20 don't partake..

So far I've got

Ruger LCP 380
Ruger EC9S
Ruger 10/22 carbine
Remington 597
S&W SD9
Jennings J22….ya I know lol it was too cheap to deny I picked up this little turd off my gramps..

But after several breakdowns to clean and inspect and every available ammo from cheap Remington to CCI stingers I can't pay this Jennings to be reliable so it doesn't go ranging with us

So to the point..we carry the rugers daily
And I'm seeking your experience with lasers with the
Ruger EC9 & Ruger LCP380

Tons of mixed reviews and I can't seem to decide, we're not expecting these to be accurate outside 10/15 yards we're just hoping it'll help with target acquisition during close combat & targeting and cuz their lasers why not lol

Which do you suggest and WHY??
Armalaser
Lasermax
Crimson Trace

I appreciate any insight y'all have and thanks in advance, sorry for the lengthy thread, and sorry if this thread isn't in the correct place… I'm new and don't know what to do lol

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Welcome from MS. Right off, I'm not a fan of lasers for the situation you are concerned with. A mini-red dot would be my choice (and is). Primarily because a red dot gives faster target acquistion, doesn't give away your position, and is more intuitive. That said, I don't think the pistols you mention can mount a MRD. There are other pistols of similar size to the Rugers that will however, so you might consider that option.

Last edited:

dweis

Blackhawk
The two pistols are meant for very short range self defense. In my opinion that does not call for a laser. Nstead, developing point and shoot skills would,be beneficial. It is not difficult to learn the technique. It's like pointing your finger at something. Critical accuracy is not achievable in a sudden fight. You need instantaneous on target shots. That said there could be an advantage to a laser. If you can see the dot in daylight, it is an asset if you have to shoot from the hip during the draw. Of course the opposite is true that if you cannot immediately see the dot the time lapse might get you killed. I do not use lasers. I practice shooting from the hip.

Last edited:
I have a laser on my LCP II. It isn't a sight but at 15-20 feet is better than looking for a 'sight picture'. It will point to close to where the bullet will strike, and if it is necessary to draw and use the gun it will save unnecessary movements.

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
I agree that practicing "point and shoot" is better than a laser.All the while you are looking for the dot to appear on your assailant you could be pulling the trigger.
That dot is very elusive,and is a skill that must be learned.
I have a combo laser/flashlight on my bedside gun, more for the flashlight than the laser dot.
Practice is the key.

cordybarns

Bearcat
Thanks for the input all, the laser would be mostly for the wife's 380, shes just not quite comfortable as she's prolly only cycled 100rds at this point, and not all of them were through her CC

just trying to find something that may help her, other than we are practicing every weekend…
Im definitely no marksman..was recently charged by a very large coon, went to the chicken coop and noticed all my birds appeared nervous and not happy to see me (roosting mid day is sus)
heard some scuffling started backing up out of the shed and he come flying out and instead of turning outside the door and running away he was coming directly at me, hit him with 3 rds of
147 grain 9mm before he stopped I was surprised he didn't drop right away and also that I didn't miss even caught off guard & semi panicked while stepping backwards

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
Thanks for the input all, the laser would be mostly for the wife's 380, shes just not quite comfortable as she's prolly only cycled 100rds at this point, and not all of them were through her CC

just trying to find something that may help her, other than we are practicing every weekend…
Im definitely no marksman..was recently charged by a very large coon, went to the chicken coop and noticed all my birds appeared nervous and not happy to see me (roosting mid day is sus)
heard some scuffling started backing up out of the shed and he come flying out and instead of turning outside the door and running away he was coming directly at me, hit him with 3 rds of
147 grain 9mm before he stopped I was surprised he didn't drop right away and also that I didn't miss even caught off guard & semi panicked while stepping backwards
Imagine if you had tried to see a laser dot on him before you pulled the trigger.
Probably a different outcome.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk

And for the answer you don't want to hear :

A laser ( or Red Dot . or fiber optic . or whatever ) is not a magic wand that takes the place of basic skills .

No disrespect to your fine wife , but the first thing she needs is a thourgh grounding in shooting fundimentals . Trigger control , grip , trigger control , reasonably adaquate stance , and trigger control . ( Repetition of trigger control is deliberate )

Perhaps something on the order of an NRA Basic Pistol Class ?

After that , thoughts on different sighting systems can be considered .

As to Lasers , I'll be generous and say they are rather niche , with a narrow range of circumstances where they're potentially advantageous .

Latest posts