New Gun dream

Help Support Ruger Forum:

collectormzornes

Blackhawk
Had a thought of a new revolver that Ruger could offer just curious if anyone would want one. I already passed the info along to Ruger via the tell a CEO. Anyway here is the thought a SP101 in 40S&W probably would have to be a 5 shot. Let me know what you think good or bad. It would work like the 9mm with the clips.

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
I'd be interested if they made one of those. It would have some ballistic advantage to offer over the .357 Mag in a short barrel version. It may end up being a little "thin" for Ruger's usual beefy factor though.

Dave T

Single-Sixer
If the 101 is too small, a Security Six size revolver in 40 S&W (for the speed of reloading with moon clips) would be a dandy...but then a Security Six return would be a dandy anyway!

Dave

mattsbox99

Hunter
its much smaller... functionally its similar though.

There is no way a .40 would fit in a SP, even in five shot... just not big enough. I agree that a .40/10MM revolver would sell very well, with at least one going to me!

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
targetshootr":1du731o5 said:
The GP100 is large enough to be a 6 shot 10mm but I'm not familiar with the SP. Innit a fixed sight version of the GP?

No, the SP-101 is considerably smaller than the GP-100. GP is about the same size as the old Security Six or a Smith K-frame. The SP, with its five-shot cylinder, is nearly as small as a J-frame Smith. There have been versions of both models with fixed and adjustable sights (although the SP's sight is only adjustable for windage).

Double Maduro

Single-Sixer
What's this fascination with pistol calibers in revolvers? Why have to mess around with moon clips, and such.

If you want to carry a .40 buy a semi in .40. You want a .40 backup gun, get another of the same, talk about ammo compatability, we're talking mag exchange.

Then there is the capacity to consider. 5v15 or so. A loaded gun and a spare mag and you have 30+ rounds, without having to carry 5 extra loaded moon clips.

But then variety is the spice of life.

The above was written in a semi serious, semi humorous vein and is not intended to start any flame wars, but in the hope that maybe you can help me understand this desire.

If you want one just because it would be neat, cool. If you want one because it would be a good ccw, I don't see the point.

DM

maxpress

Buckeye
QUOTE: DOUBLE MADURO
What's this fascination with pistol calibers in revolvers? Why have to mess around with moon clips, and such.

If you want to carry a .40 buy a semi in .40. You want a .40 backup gun, get another of the same, talk about ammo compatability, we're talking mag exchange

well for me its just that im not rich and like to be efficient. going to the gun store and buying 2 500pks of ammo costs twice as much as one 500pk. then there is hauling 1000 rounds instead of 500 to the range and home.
then theres more reloading components to shop for if you have another caliber.
pistol rounds are more efficient in short barrels.
NOT everyone has one.
sometimes if im just going to the store i like a snubbie and i would like to just keep one ammo in the car.
much less noise and muzzle flash for the same power with a pistol cal.
moon clips are easier to carry and faster to reload.
FUN..FUN...FUN...FUN
anyhow thats my reasoning
and FUN.FUN.FUN.FUN.FUN

If I was interested in a 40 or 10mm cartridge, It would not be with moon clips. Instead the case should headspace on the mouth with the ledge built into the cylinder like the 45acp & 9mm blackhawk convertabiles. I understand the desire for cartridge interchability but like DM, why mix a revolver and a semi-auto?. Just get two Semi's, unless you don't consider them as reliable as the revolver and want that extra protection against Murphy showing up.

demo_slug

Single-Sixer
IMHO, I do not like head spacing on the case mouth in revolvers.
1. minimum case length becomes a more critical dimension to the function of the revolver. With an auto pistol like a 1911, it does just head space on the case mouth, the extractor also holds the case back. I would much rather the case register on the rim, like moon clips do.
2. un burnt gunpowder or soot build up near the throat can prevent full insertion of the round and actually jam the revolver. While that can also happen with a rimmed cartridge, I believe it is more likely with a round that head spaces on the mouth. There is just less tolerance to a max length case and the throat edge is square and not tapered. And IMHO on a rimmed cartridge it is more obvious that it didn't seat all the way.

maxpress

Buckeye
the blackhawk headspaces on the rim so you really have to watch what kinda ammo you buy in .45acp for the convertable. not so much with the smith 25s with moon clips.
I will go for the moon clips. but thats just me.