New Grips For .44 Special Flattops

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
I was fortunate enough to get 2 of the Lipseys .44 specials, one in each barrel length. After purusing this website, I kept noticing this same guy shootin' all these critters with handguns. Being an observant kind of guy, with an eye for detail, I noticed this same guy had beautifull grips on all his guns. I sent him a PM. Turns out his son is a gunsmith who builds high-end rifles, is the youngest person ever inducted into the rifle guild, and gives Dear ole' Dad all his scraps. Dad being the industrious type, turns these scraps into sixgun grips. You can buy them finished, or as I did, roughed out, where you final fit and finish the grips yourself. I chose the latter, so I could outfit both guns, and have the satisfaction of doing some of the work myself. Here's how they turned out.

grips008.jpg

grips007.jpg

grips003.jpg

grips002.jpg

Not too shabby :lol: . I love them ! Fancy walnut and holly. For do-it-yourselfers, go with the rough-cut, over-size. For those that don't have time, or want the convenience of perfection, go with the finished style. Either way, you can't go wrong. Plus, you'll have the satisfaction of meeting a very nice and interesting person.

Oh ! The guy who supplied the grips at the most reasonable price going. None other than our own 'sixshot', dutch oven gourmet.

contender

Ruger Guru
I knew exactly who you were talking about as I too got a little bit of wood from him. I've turned some Holly into some nice grips for both of my 44 spls.
Yours look very good (of course,) and it does give a bit of satisfaction to do the work (or some of it,) yourself.

In fact right now I'm working on some Quilted Maple a forum member sent me. I've decided to put a set of stocks on an older shooter Flattop 357 and a Super Blackhawk. Maybe mine will turn out good enough to post a few pics,,,!

mt

Single-Sixer
You can add me to the tale, I also got some of that roughed in Holly. I've got one set the way I like them with the bottoms rounded over but I'm having trouble getting a picture to post that pleases me.

mt

Fowler

Single-Sixer
Yup Dick's grip are pretty cool. Mine are not as well finished as yours are and they keep getting dirty but they are great poor boy ivory look with a great feel.

This guy lost his butt betting that Sixshots grip would not help me shoot better...

DSCN2444.jpg

RonEgg

Blackhawk
I picked up a pair of sixshot's Holly Bisley's myself. I am not real good at finishing up a pair, but I don't think they are to bad for the first time.

P1010007.jpg