New GP100MC great gun - need smith for work

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rpger30

Bearcat
Not sure if this should be in the Ruger-Smithing forum, but it has some first impressions in addition to my request for smithing advice/recommendations.

First off, I love this gun. I purchased a NIB GP100 Match Champion (adjustable sights) from one of my friendly LGS's last week. I had only intended to go in and look at the gun, since I hadn't had the opportunity to see one in person prior to last week. The first run of the GP100MC with Novak sights never seemed to actually be present in local display cases - not sure if that was a supply or demand issue. I'm glad I waited though, because I like Ruger's adjustables way better than that Novak rear from the first release.

Upon inspection, the gun had only one cosmetic flaw - a few small, shallow dings in the crown. I would post pictures, but I can't get them to show up without using a macro lens; they're shallow enough that I think they would actually polish out without any machining necessary. I pointed these out and the proprietor acknowledged that he had accounted for them in the price. I asked if he'd go a little lower, and he brought it down to a price only $40 more than the standard 4" GP100 stainless. SOLD.

Overall, the fit and finish seems slightly better than is typical of Ruger's stainless GP100's. The wood grips are immensely more comfortable for me than the stock rubber monogrip, though the stippling was a little aggressive. Nothing a few careful minutes with an x-acto knife, a butane torch, some stock wax couldn't fix. I basically removed the sharp points (almost like splinters) of the stippling while working under magnification - I didn't want to actually remove any of the wood underneath. The torch was used to gently flame the stippled portion of the panels prior to application of wax. I also used the torch to help prevent the wax from actually filling in the stippling. I know I could have just shot the gun a few hundred times with gloves and the stippling would have smoothed out, but it was less than 30 minutes work and they're a lot more comfortable now. The grips now feel like hand cut checkering instead of emery board. I'm actually thinking about cutting vertical serrations in the front and backstrap to give more rotational stability. I'm going to work on improving my hold first though.

Sooo... this is getting long winded, but I can't help it with how much I love this revolver. It points more naturally for me with the lighter barrel shroud, and the smoother DA pull is much welcome. I'm a novice shooter at best, so I can't really tell much difference in the SA pull/break.

Even though I love this thing, there are some changes I would like to make to it. Some are aesthetic only, some are completely functional, and one is completely a "want" item.

First for the want: I want to have the gun fully hard chromed. If you've ever had the pleasure of owning a hard chromed gun, you probably know exactly why I'm interested in the increased durability, easier cleaning, and increased corrosion resistance.

Next the aesthetic: I will find a smith who can remove the awful Ruger laser engraving. This stuff is hideous, and I'd love to see it disappear from their entire line. To each their own I guess, but I can't stand it on any gun.

Now the functional: The gun could use some light de-horning and finishing. This would almost be a no-brainer to have done if I'm already paying someone for the prep work necessary for hard chrome plating.

So, if anyone knows a smith in central/eastern NC who does this kind of work, I'd love recommendations. Feel free to keep it to PM if wanted. I'm aware that I'll probably have to ship the gun to have it chromed - metaloy and APW seem like great choices.

Thanks in advance to my fellow Ruger owners for any help you are able to provide.

Rpger30

Bearcat
Hey thanks for the replies! And I've actually already heard good things about your work bcgunworks. I'm going to talk to some local smiths about the prep work in addition to online replies.

I'd be really curious as to your thoughts on breaking the gun in prior to working on it. I'll pm you some time tomorrow to ask some specific questions if that's ok.

bcgunworks

Single-Sixer
Ok

And don't pay a smith to prep it for chrome.

Just send it to fords plating....and that will take care of the warning label as well