New GP100 Owner Question?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dan76

Bearcat
Hello Everyone,

First time Ruger Revolver Owner. I just bought a GP100 357 revolver, standard model with 4.2 inch barrel. The day after buying it I decided to try it out. I put a box of 38 +p loads through it to just get a feel for it. The first cylinder full I went to extract the cases and I noticed it has a real short ejector stroke. Does the GP100 use the same length ejector as the sp101? Odd to say the least.

I have only owned a Smith and Wesson 4 inch K frame 38 special before. Did not want to buy a smith with the Hillary Hole. Mine is a pre-lock with hammer mounted pin. Now this is just a 38 special but I compared the ejector stroke length of the two from the back of cylinder to top of ejector star fully pushed out. This is what I got using an old caliper and tape measure too.

Smith 38 special
1.085" or by tape a little over 1 and 1/16 inch

Ruger GP100 357
.875" or by tape a 7/8 inch

The Ruger GP100 is not even close to long enough to be full length extractor for even 38 special cases and it is a 357. The old smith pre-lock clears the brass easily. The smith is over 3/16 inch longer on a 38???? Crazy.

Is this normal for a Ruger? I am shocked. Never bought a new revolver before and didn't even cross my mind to check for this....I am going to contact ruger and see what they have to say but thought maybe someone here could shed some light on this too.

Thanks for any info.

Dan

hittman

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.

Are you saying the brass won't eject or just that the rod is shorter than you expected?

If it ain't broke ........

If it IS broke ...... back to Ruger she goes.

dan76

Bearcat
The cases were loose and came out. Haven't tried 357 loads yet. Just was shocked it had less of an extractor than my 38.

Just assumed a 4 inch service sized revolver would have a full length extractor.

Is this normal for rugers? Seems odd that there is plenty of room under a 4 incher for full length extraction.

Would be interesting to check a smith 4" 686 ejector length.

hittman

Staff member
Can't say I've ever known someone who bothered to measure the length. Not sure why anybody would think to do it unless the gun doesn't work properly.

Does it matter if the brass ejects?

How do you know it's not "full sized"?

Heck, maybe it's a mm too long compared to other 4.2 inch GP's. :lol:

22/45 Fan

Hunter
My 6" S&W 686 does a much better job of reliably extracting and fully ejecting .38 Sp cases than my 4.2" GP-100 does. Measuring the extractor travel showed me the 686 star extends about 1/8" further than the GP's. That doesn't sound like much but it seems to make a big difference.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Be sure to hold the gun up to extract cases and let the cases fall free to prevent residue from getting under the extractor or anywhere else.

gunzo

Hunter
Now that you've mentioned it, I find the GP does have a shorter ejection stroke than some other D/A revolvers.
GP .860"
Security 6 .900"
S&W K frame 1.120"
All measurements were quick & are approximant.

BUT... using proper procedure; an elevated muzzle & a brisk stroke on the ejector rod will produce satisfactory results. Viewing from afar here, but I'd say your GP is in spec & nothing is wrong.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
gunzo said:
BUT... using proper procedure; an elevated muzzle & a brisk stroke on the ejector rod will produce satisfactory results. Viewing from afar here, but I'd say your GP is in spec & nothing is wrong.
Yes, this is certainly an important point. However, My GP seems to have a couple of slightly rough chambers so extraction takes some care to do it right and, even then I sometimes have to pull a couple of the cases out the last fraction of an inch. My S&W tosses them out with no hang-ups at all.

dan76

Bearcat
Thanks Gunzo,

That is the information I was looking for.

Sometime I will have to check out a 686 L frame to see if the ejector is lengthened to account for longer 357 brass.

Thank you everyone else.

I am not a new revolver owner. Just new to Ruger revolvers. My Smith 64 is my long time favorite, just wanted something with adjustable sights and in 357 this time. My Smith 64 K frame has full length ejection with a 4" barrel. I prefer the Stressfire type of reload but when just doing casual target shooting, especially in mud and snow, I eject the brass in my hand and save for reloading. I just assumed a full size revolver would have a full length extractor. Lesson learned.

hittman, it is easy to know if it is not a full sized ejector. After ejecting the brass turn the revolver muzzle down and put a spent case in the cylinder. Fully press the ejector while still pointing muzzle down. Case is still at least 1/8 to 3/16 in chamber, It should give you a big clue it does not have a full size extractor. :lol: And holding side by side with a revolver with a full length extractor, it is as obvious as night and day....

I also never had reason to "measure" the extraction stroke of the ejector on any revolver. It is more a function of technique than dimensions.

But since it now seems important, my 686 has a stroke of 31/32", much less than the length of a .357 case. So ya better write and complain to S&W while you're at it. :wink:

If you've ever caught a case underneath an extractor star, you'll be glad they don't make the stroke longer. A stroke that's less than the length of a case minimizes cases being stuck under the star.

dan76

Bearcat
Interesting. My k frame has a longer ejector than the 686 L frame. Weird. The new model 66(k frame) with 2 3/4" inch barrel lists a full-length extractor as one of its features. Smaller frame, longer ejector. Not going to complain to any of them. Just gathering info for future use. I think I will do just fine with the GP.

On a side note. Never had a problem in 20 years with a stuck case under my extractor of the smith 64. Has always worked perfectly.

Thanks.

hittman

Staff member
Captain America said:
I read through the original post over and over and I'm a little lost, did you have an extraction problem? Gravity is generally the extractor on my GP100.

No ..... he said the brass came out fine, just that he was shocked :shock: that the extractor is shorter than S&W. Still, I've no clue what difference that could make if it functions fine but ..... to each their own. :D

Different manufacturers -- different specs.

I'm never shocked that my Rugers work as they were expected. I am shocked that how long a stroke an ejector has,, that works perfectly,, being this huge of a concern. What is shcking is how many smith frames I've stretched,, never again though, compared tpo how many Rugeres I've exceeded load datta on.

I have 2 GP's in 357, never had an issue, even with 180 grain bullet loads 2 grains over published datta,, even though they werte over published COAL don't try it if you don't know what you are doing, but just saying, never had any case not clear the cylinder even on a filthy sooty bullet lube caked cylinder,, even on my 327 fed GP-100 with loads reaching far more CUP's at times a little stiff extraction, but have always fallen freely!

If you have issues with the cases not falling from the cylinder,, send it in, if you don't put yer ruler away, and get your powder scale out, and start shoot'n,, congrats on a great gun that will take anything in reason you throw at it!

Naphtali

Single-Sixer
dan76 said:
Hello Everyone,

First time Ruger Revolver Owner. I just bought a GP100 357 revolver, standard model with 4.2 inch barrel. The day after buying it I decided to try it out. I put a box of 38 +p loads through it to just get a feel for it. The first cylinder full I went to extract the cases and I noticed it has a real short ejector stroke. Does the GP100 use the same length ejector as the sp101? Odd to say the least.

, , ,

Smith 38 special
1.085" or by tape a little over 1 and 1/16 inch

Ruger GP100 357
.875" or by tape a 7/8 inch. . . .
Dan:

You inadvertently brought the question to mind. Does SP101's ejection system short stroke like GP100's, or is its ejection system shorter still?

Latest posts