New GP100 and crane gap

Help Support Ruger Forum:

onemancoyote

Bearcat
I recently bought a new GP100 and after I got home I noticed a very poor frame to crane fit. I sent it back to ruger and supposedly it was repaired today. I'll have it in my hands by next week I'm sure. I can't wait to get it back! I'm curious as to how they fixed it though. I was told they adjusted the crane and cylinder gap.

Has anyone else had this done?

r9HTLGOl.jpg

Mus408

Hunter
I need to call them on my Alaskan .454 as they have had it for several days to fix excessive cylinder gap and cylinder to bore alignment. Wish I could have this weekend....great shooting weather and have some warm to hot .45 Colt I just finished loading for it!
They could have just grabbed a new one and sent it on.

357 Terms

Bearcat
my 3in GP looks the same, shoots great!! functions fine, over 1k rounds so far.

The gap bothered me initially, after shooting it I don't even think about it now.

RME

Blackhawk
Hate to say it but I've seen 10 and own 2 of these new 1708s and every
Single one look exactly like your picture.
RME

Rainy Day Shooter

Single-Sixer
Mine looked just like it. Fixed it my self easy enough. In my case it was just cosmetic.
They could spend just a bit more time on the fit and finish of the stainless GP's imho.

onemancoyote

Bearcat
I was contacted today and informed that they machined the gap so that it was even and within specs, but that it now had a wide gap. I'm supposed to get pictures to approve of the modification before the gun is returned to me.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, Swissssssssssssssssssssssssssh, ----- fixed it. :D

I had to take a file and sandpaper to some of the edges on mine especially around the trigger guard and the hammer spur because they were sharp. No reason to leave the shooting range with your hand bleeding. :D

onemancoyote

Bearcat
This is the picture I was sent today.
Before:
r9HTLGOl.jpg

After:
ux9QDMHl.jpg

I told the tech that if the gun was in fine working order that I would accept the crane gap. I was more worried that something was out of line with the crane, but if it truly is a machining error on the frame itself I'm ok with that.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Much better. It's just the machining after the parts are cast that causes some mis-alignment. Look at my GP. The gap is ok but there is a little overhang with the crane.

yes, as noted above, for the most part I agree it is only "cosmetic"......and all depends on just where , what matching ,joining parts "align" where it counts, internally as to the pivot holes, bore and chambers of the cylinder, outside the part (in this case the crane) could have been simply polished on an angle, as for fore and aft , as long as it doesn't MOVE to much, cause spacing problems ,drag, rubbing or excessive headspace, again,
your picture above, to ME, shows a mispolished ( at an angle, only cosmetic issue) can simply be refit, cut with a hand file or take it all apart and machine it ( waste of time and effort)
as often said, the "proof is in the function, firing and accuracy...."
Nature of the beast of 'mass production manufacturing' they are NOT each "hand built ,fitted and fitted" as in the old days, time is of the essence, get them out the door..... "numbers people" !! :wink:

onemancoyote

Bearcat
Update for all that are interested.

The gun came back looking a lot better. They buffed it up nice while they had and the crane gap looks more even. They also appear to have smoothed the round portion out in front of the crane so the crane no longer looks crooked. Paper work says the adjusted the crane and barrel gap.

The good: I took it to the gun range yesterday and it shoots very well! Cloverleaf off-hand groups at 20 ft with target 38spcl ammo. It handles full power 357mag with ease also. I began to open up when I was trying to do 25 yds, but I'm rusty. I was still able to clear all 6 of our 6" steel plates at 25yds a couple of times. I'm better at aiming at the plates than the paper. Some kind of eye thing.

The bad: After 50 or so rounds the cylinder would not close. There wasn't any clearance between the cylinder and barrel with all of the powder build up. I moved on to my Single Seven for the rest of the day.

After I got home and cleaned the gun everything works fine. Cylinder face just needed a good scrub. I'm going to bring the cleaning stuff with me to the range next time. It's not going back to Ruger, it shoots too good!

I'll mic the barrel as soon as I find my feelers and let you know what the barrel gap is.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I think most shooters like a small B/C gap. It will give you more velocity and less discharge from the sides. Also check that you don't have any crud under the ejector as that will make it difficult to close the crane. Always hold the gun barrel up when ejecting empty shells so unburned powder doesn't fall out of the empties and get into the works. :D

22/45 Fan

Hunter
onemancoyote said:
I never thought of getting crud under the crane latch. I bet that would gum things up.
Yeah but the more common problem is getting fouling under the extractor star. That will really make the cylinder difficult or impossible to close.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I picked up a new 4" .41 mag. Thursday . The crane fit is very even and no overhang front or rear. All over fit and finish is just great.