New GP100 and crane gap

Help Support Ruger Forum:

onemancoyote said:
Update for all that are interested.

The gun came back looking a lot better. They buffed it up nice while they had and the crane gap looks more even. They also appear to have smoothed the round portion out in front of the crane so the crane no longer looks crooked. Paper work says the adjusted the crane and barrel gap.

The good: I took it to the gun range yesterday and it shoots very well! Cloverleaf off-hand groups at 20 ft with target 38spcl ammo. It handles full power 357mag with ease also. I began to open up when I was trying to do 25 yds, but I'm rusty. I was still able to clear all 6 of our 6" steel plates at 25yds a couple of times. I'm better at aiming at the plates than the paper. Some kind of eye thing.

The bad: After 50 or so rounds the cylinder would not close. There wasn't any clearance between the cylinder and barrel with all of the powder build up. I moved on to my Single Seven for the rest of the day.

After I got home and cleaned the gun everything works fine. Cylinder face just needed a good scrub. I'm going to bring the cleaning stuff with me to the range next time. It's not going back to Ruger, it shoots too good!

I'll mic the barrel as soon as I find my feelers and let you know what the barrel gap is.

This is great news!

wproct

Single-Sixer
onemancoyote, sounds like you are good to go! Ruger crane and frame just don't have that hairline fitting like the old Smith & Wesson revolvers did, but if everything is good and tight, no fore and aft or side to side movement and they shoot good, that's about as good as it gets. We still love them though for what they are! :D

fast ed

Bearcat
onemancoyote said:
I recently bought a new GP100 and after I got home I noticed a very poor frame to crane fit. I sent it back to ruger and supposedly it was repaired today. I'll have it in my hands by next week I'm sure. I can't wait to get it back! I'm curious as to how they fixed it though. I was told they adjusted the crane and cylinder gap.

Has anyone else had this done?

r9HTLGOl.jpg

My gap was a little worse then yours. I called Ruger and was told to send it in. Received phone call that the gun will not be repaired, too bad? They are sending me a brand new gun. Anybody else ever have this happen to them?

onemancoyote said:
This is the picture I was sent today.
Before:
r9HTLGOl.jpg

After:
ux9QDMHl.jpg

I told the tech that if the gun was in fine working order that I would accept the crane gap. I was more worried that something was out of line with the crane, but if it truly is a machining error on the frame itself I'm ok with that.

I know I'm a little late in this game, but when I look at this picture, it appears to me that the crane is not parallel and perpendicular to the frame. Notice the bottom right to top left cant to the left (look at the top left of the crane in relation to the frame.) Then look at the b/c gap in the photo, that's pretty tight from what is normal. If all they did was to file the crane to be parallel and then polish, the b/c gap may still be too small which is evidenced by your problem after shooting 50 rounds. Not just build up of material from firing but also the expansion of the metals due to the heat.

I would check not just the standard b/c gap but the top half b/c gap and the bottom half b/c gap. If different, then your cylinder is tilted and thus will probably start binding up quickly (which you have seen in your first range outing).

In coach's picture, the crane, although extending a bit at the front of the frame, is parallel and perpendicular, look at the rear of the crane in relation to the frame and look at the b/c gap (kinda hard to see but it appears to be larger than yours)

Your after picture from Oct 20 shows the crane in better shape but again look at the b/c gap, that is next to nothing and will cause binding pretty quickly. I don't see why Ruger said it was a large b/c gap.

If the gun shoots good, and apparently it does, and the cylinder is not tilted, the b/c gap problem fix is an easy one for any gunsmith or even yourself (with the right tools). For an idea of costs, for me to fix the b/c gap, I would probably charge the customer $20-$30 (max) to make it right.

The other thing you can check is the crane to frame (where the crane pivots). If you disassemble it to take the crane and cylinder out, then you can look at the face of the crane and the frame to see if there is any uneven rubbing where the crane and frame meet. If you see rubbing at the bottom and not the top, that tells me there is a slight cant of the crane and cylinder in relation to the frame. Any wear marks should be even top/bottom, and even if the wear marks aren't even, that isn't necessarily a major problem, but could contribute.

The above remarks are from experience when I get a customer in that says his revolver binds up or the cylinder doesn't quite rotate as smoothly as they think it should. These are the things I evaluate first before doing anything along with asking a lot of questions about everything leading up to the malfunction (be it a customers gun or one of my own).

Oops, forgot to add, when checking the b/c gap, check the end shake also. Even though it is a new gun, that doesn't mean that it might not have other problems with the cylinder and crane that caused it to bind.

NewportNewsMike

Single-Sixer
fast ed said:
..... They are sending me a brand new gun. Anybody else ever have this happen to them?

Yes - years ago, but not Ruger.

About 1990 or so, I sent in a S&W Model 60 for repair. It was the first centerfire handgun I had ever purchased back when Model 60's first came out, about 1967 or so.

I sent it in, weeks passed and nothing was heard from S&W. I called several times and always received the same "We are almost ready to work on it" or some such. Finally, about a month later, a box showed up with a new Model 60. The repair bill inside said something like "gun unrepairable. replaced."

I've had it happen with a Browning Contour. I ordered it brand new and it had many failure to fires and eject. Regardless of the ammo. Had the range where I bought it try it out...same results. They sent it back and browning replaced it with a new gun. No explanation given.

Edited to add...never had to send a Ruger back to get fixed. Just Browning and a Smith and Wesson.

onemancoyote

Bearcat
Barrel gap is between .004 to .005. I only have a 4 and 6. 4 slips in and 6 will not.

I'm going to shoot it tomorrow until it gets tight again and then re measure.

onemancoyote

Bearcat
I ran a lot of ammo through the gun and it refused to get tight again. Maybe I did have something under the star.

I'm calling this one good. Shoots great!