New GP 100

Help Support Ruger Forum:

smbob

Bearcat
I have always wanted a GP 100 since they first came out way back when. It seems most everyone gets the stainless version.
That's fine. They are nice looking guns. I decided to go with the 4 inch blue version.
Before I bought it I knew 2 things had to go. First was the ugly Hogue grip that comes with it and second was the plain front sight.
I ordered a set of grips from Altamont. They are rubber with checkered rosewood inserts. They are similar to the ones Ruger offers
with a bit better finish and checkering. I also got a factory red ramp front sight. I really like the way it looks now. The trigger is pretty
darn good out of the box. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, only practice dry firing with snap caps. So far so good. This revolver
is built like a tank. I really like it!

Ry6cMq7h.jpg

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Great looking GP100.
I also like those grips, I looked several places for grips with the shortest LOP. These rubber grips are about the best for that and my smaller hands. You will definitely fall in Love with it after shooting

protoolman

Service-Sixer
I have yet to find a GP-100 that doesn't shoot like a laser. It may be the most accurate revolver you've seen also. Good luck!

wolfee

Blackhawk
Nice. My GP is one of the few handguns I have had that I don't get bored with. It's my favorite range blaster and just gets smoother and smoother the more it gets used. Mines a 4" full lug as well, but blued and chambered 38 only.

wb292

Bearcat
I purchased the same GP a few years ago. I also replaced the grip, but I went with the factory rubber grip with the rosewood inserts. It made a huge difference for me. That Hogue has a goofy hunch back that is very akward for me. I replaced the sights with meprolight 3 dot night sights. I need them to dispatch predators killing my chickens at night. It is the most accurate hand gun I have ever shot. I was able to get a perfect score on my CCW test with it. Like mentioned before the more you shoot it, the more you will love it.

wolfee

Blackhawk
Bob, I shoulda added that some GP's are a little gunky inside and some come from the factory pretty clean. Anyway, you only need to do a by-the-book basic field strip to check it out and clean it up if needed. Your favorite solvent and lube are all you will need along with a toothbrush. The GP's are typical Ruger "modular" style and field strip is quick, slick and simple. Reassembly as well.

rugerfreak

Single-Sixer
Those are pretty much the same mods I'm looking to do with mine (4in stainless)---my SP101 shoots better than my GP100 but that might have something to do with the weird Hogue's that came with it.

My new GP100 really isn't all that accurate---new grips and different load selection might change all that though----plus the gun is still new and maybe just needs to be shot some more.

4x5

Bearcat
Very nice! I love the grips! Can you tell if they're thinner (more narrow) than the old style factory grip?

Ferdinand

Single-Sixer
I'm sure you'll love the GP100. 30 years ago, I bought my first handgun - 6" GP100. I've shot the 4" and like it as much as the 6". Mine has fired a lot of rounds, many of them max loads. It still shoots cloverleafs at 25 yards. Nice grips - I'd do the same. The Hogues are very functional but just don't look right on the GP. IMHO. Looking forward to a range report and more pics.

TRanger

Blackhawk
Very nice. Those stocks are a great improvement over the abominable Hogue Ruger puts on them now.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
Totally agree on the horrible look of the Hogues. If you want a gun that is built even more like a tank, check out the Red Hawk full lug! I have one.

twoG.jpg