new front sight

Help Support Ruger Forum:

LSCG

Buckeye
made this for my five shot Bisley the other day. nothing special, just some hardware store steel I got a while back and blued with Birchwood casey super blue. long range bars filled in with white paint.

can't wait to try it out and see where the bars are zeroed.

stevemb

Hunter
What kinda paint, and how did you apply it ? Have a sight coming from Idaho. Did you drill it, half way in, from each side ?

LSCG

Buckeye
I used krylon white spray paint. first I put masking tape on the front of the sight, then I used a very fine needle to cut out/wallow out the long range bars. I then sprayed some paint on a piece of cardboard and used the needle to evenly apply it to the long range bars. after letting it dry for a few minutes I slowly removed the tape and set the pistol in the sun for a few hours to fully dry. when I drilled it I used a padded clamp to firmly hold the sight down and drilled half way through one side and then the other.

ncrobb

Single-Sixer
Nice job Zane. I wish I had cut the rear edge of mine slanted like that instead of undercut. I still would like to try a gold dot.

LSCG

Buckeye
don44 said:
Good job !

thank you Sir!

ncrobb said:
Nice job Zane. I wish I had cut the rear edge of mine slanted like that instead of undercut. I still would like to try a gold dot.

thanks Robb! yeah i'd still like to try a gold/brass bead as well. I need to look around and see what sight shape would look best with one.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Looks like a very nice job, Zane!

Memory's a fuzzy thing, but once upon a time many winters ago I read something by Ol' Elmer about making a "stepped" sight of some sort for long distance shooting. Does anyone know if what he was talking about is what we see in Zane's sight?

Rick C

LSCG

Buckeye
mikewriter said:
Looks good to me!

thanks Mike. :)

Rick Courtright said:
Hi,

Memory's a fuzzy thing, but once upon a time many winters ago I read something by Ol' Elmer about making a "stepped" sight of some sort for long distance shooting. Does anyone know if what he was talking about is what we see in Zane's sight?

Rick C

thanks Rick. I believe these cross bars are pretty close to what Elmer was referring to.

Lefty SRH said:
LSCG, what angle did you cut on your sight?

I have no clue. I just sanded till it looked right.

coach

Hunter
Rick Courtright said:
Hi,

Rick C
Zane's sight is pretty much described in Sixguns by Keith.
Here's a photo of an illustration. From the text it sounds like he burned a lot of powder to establish the holdover for certain distances.