New from NE Florida

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hello all! Nice to meet the lot of you.

I've become a bit of a Ruger fan, starting with inheriting a 1987 year Ruger MK II pistol about twenty years ago. Back then I had young kids and wound up at a public range with some guys lacking discipline so I locked it up for a almost two decades. In the past three years or so I found one of my long time friends is a real talented marksman and I joined his range to learn how to shoot. I guess it was linked to pandemonium of the times but I found I like it, I'm just marginal at this point.

Around two and half years ago I bought a new MK IV pistol and then a Ruger American pistol along with other brands. The MK IV is my favorite pistol for our 22lr warm ups and I like the full size American for a range gun. I added a Talon wrap as the ergo on the American is, well you guys know.

I've just added two 10/22s to the mix as we have rifle ranges also at the club and want to try them. Since my better half hasn't yet gotten into pistols, I know she is a rifle gal so the second one is what she picked up and liked while at the store. So we have hers, a wood stock 10/22 carbine with iron sights and mine is the same but with synthetic stock and I added a scope. My challenge is I'm right handed, left eye dominant but I'm hearing these are fine to shoot lefty and I'll try that.

Hope to pick up some tips here along the way and if the wife takes to range we may look at a 380 for her, not yet sure on the new one from Ruger but I know their stuff works if we do!

Bill

Welcome aboard!!
3AB722EF-68DE-4D38-A3BD-8137DDB175D4.gif

The Standard and Mark series pistols are my favorite, especially the early ones. I'm also a fan of the 10/22. Once you get bit by the bug, it's hard to stop. Next thing you know, you're starting to notice all things Ruger, and everyone here is more than happy to feed ya. So buckle up, hide your wallet, and enjoy the ride. ;)

F923D3BF-DB7B-4F59-8186-5F053246B973.jpeg

B21C6497-65AC-4980-8CC0-C39165CA01C6.jpeg

vlavalle

Single-Sixer

I've become a bit of a Ruger fan, starting with inheriting a 1987 year Ruger MK II pistol about twenty years ago. Back then I had young kids and wound up at a public range with some guys lacking discipline so I locked it up for a almost two decades. In the past three years or so I found one of my long time friends is a real talented marksman and I joined his range to learn how to shoot. I guess it was linked to pandemonium of the times but I found I like it, I'm just marginal at this point.

Around two and half years ago I bought a new MK IV pistol and then a Ruger American pistol along with other brands. The MK IV is my favorite pistol for our 22lr warm ups and I like the full size American for a range gun. I added a Talon wrap as the ergo on the American is, well you guys know.

I've just added two 10/22s to the mix as we have rifle ranges also at the club and want to try them. Since my better half hasn't yet gotten into pistols, I know she is a rifle gal so the second one is what she picked up and liked while at the store. So we have hers, a wood stock 10/22 carbine with iron sights and mine is the same but with synthetic stock and I added a scope. My challenge is I'm right handed, left eye dominant but I'm hearing these are fine to shoot lefty and I'll try that.

Hope to pick up some tips here along the way and if the wife takes to range we may look at a 380 for her, not yet sure on the new one from Ruger but I know their stuff works if we do!

Bill
Bill, welcome to this forum. I, like you, had put away my Ruger handgun for over a couple of decades, and 'resurrected' it about 15 years ago. I see that you are a pistol fan, but I am a revolver man, and my original gun is a .357 Mag 6 1/2" Blackhawk. In the last 10 years or so I have added a Ruger .45 Blackhawk convertible, which shoots .45 LC (quite powerful) and with a cylinder swap, it also shoots .45 ACP. These are both single action revolvers. So, I recently added a .357 Mag Ruger GP100 double action revolver. It is a lot of fun to get back into shooting!

I live in the Phoenix metro area, and my shooting range I use is outside, with up to 200 yards distance with your own targets. It is hard enough to see the 12" targets I have at 50 yards, so that is essentially my max range. I have 2 spotter scopes to see what I am hitting prior to retrieving the targets. Since this is an outdoor range, we have to walk out to the distance desired, and mount/retrieve our targets manually.

Bill, welcome to this forum. I, like you, had put away my Ruger handgun for over a couple of decades, and 'resurrected' it about 15 years ago. I see that you are a pistol fan, but I am a revolver man, and my original gun is a .357 Mag 6 1/2" Blackhawk. In the last 10 years or so I have added a Ruger .45 Blackhawk convertible, which shoots .45 LC (quite powerful) and with a cylinder swap, it also shoots .45 ACP. These are both single action revolvers. So, I recently added a .357 Mag Ruger GP100 double action revolver. It is a lot of fun to get back into shooting!

I live in the Phoenix metro area, and my shooting range I use is outside, with up to 200 yards distance with your own targets. It is hard enough to see the 12" targets I have at 50 yards, so that is essentially my max range. I have 2 spotter scopes to see what I am hitting prior to retrieving the targets. Since this is an outdoor range, we have to walk out to the distance desired, and mount/retrieve our targets manually.
Vlavalle, when I inherited about 10 handguns years back, that included the Ruger MK II I mentioned but also a number of S&W revolvers and several autos. Many of these see actual range rotation and I also have added a 3" 686 plus along the way. I'm thus of fan of both autos and revolvers. I have thought hard about an SP101 or GP100 after getting back into shooting, I think these are solid but I'm pretty full up on revolvers right now! Maybe a RH 44 shorter barrel to augment my 629 6" barrel!

watashie00

Bearcat

Bill
Strangely enough,,, gun people can be very hard on each other,,,, My own experience in a few gunshops taught me that some guys think their stuff is great,,, your stuff is well,,,, s--t,,,, even if they just sold it to you a few minutes ago.
Welcome though, Im not an old hand on this site, but I spent 29 years in the military, and have been to war with my weapons,,,, still when at the range,, I have been corrected by young men/women,,,, "youre not doing that right".... So now I am looking foward to getting hearing aids,,, so I can turn them off.

Latest posts