New Find

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bpimwheel

Bearcat
rugerguy thanks for the heads up on 'Jussbad'. I just bought a XR3-RED grip frame.
Now to get my hands on it and see about installing it into the .41 Mag.
Hopefully it will be straight forward otherwise Im gonna need the expert assistance of 'Jussbad'.
Again thanks much to all of you. You are a great wealth of knowledge.

Last edited:
bpimwheel.
I will try and explain how to change out the frame/GF
First off get screw driver that fits the GF screws. I have one that fits and I have rounded the side edges some so it doesn't knock off the finish. OK Now take off the grips. Next pull back the hammer and notice the hole in the bottom of the spring rod. Place a small finish nail or whatever fits in the hole and lower the hammer. That is about the only trick of removing the GF. I ALWAYS install it from the right side. That way you know how to put it back in since it can go in wrong. :mad:Now you can take out the GF screws and remove the GF. I start with the bottom forward screw when putting it back together. DO NOT tighten the grip screw real tight you can crack the grips. Also I just snug the GF screws. It is really easy to do.
If I left out anything Guys Please add to my post.
Have fun

contender

Ruger Guru
All good info above. As long as the new g/f is for the OM, it's pretty straight forward to replace. Easy-peesey.

On Jim's note of not over tightening the grip screw. Here's an idea I started decades ago. I buy 1/2" long, nylon spacers to just fit over the grip screw shaft. I gently hone off about .005 off each spacer. Then, I put one panel on, slip my screw through, add the spacer, then the other panel. That spacer allows the tightening,, yet NOT overtightening of the grip screw. No busted grip panels from the backside.

bpimwheel

Bearcat
WyanDot Jim & contender.
Thanks for the instruction. Sounds pretty easy, first time is always a little iffy.
Don't think I will have to bother 'jussbad' up in Marysville but good to know that there is someone relatively close that can pull me out of the fire should I get stuck. There are not any knowledgeable gunsmith in my area.

contender - I saw a pictures on here of the exact same thing and that gave me the idea to do it to all of my revolvers not only the SA's. Got the spacers at ACE the other day.

KIR - Actually not bad, especially for California. They came from an older lady that was selling off her husbands things as he had recently died and she was moving to an assisted living apartment. Paid the asking price, couldn't bring myself to get them at a lower price. The transfer fees are very high here in CA so that brought my cost up some.

Last edited:
one thing to remember when you go to put the 'new' gripframe back on, make sure you get the trigger plunger/spring assembly in place into the hole, then it rides on the rear of the trigger and be very careful with the small ( tiny) spring and plunger for the 'pawl' its in the rear of the cylinder frame adjacent to the left upper rear grip frame screw hole, do NOT "pinch" it between the grip frame and cylinder frame do not be in a hurry......:cool:
( note the small plunger goes into the hole first , then the spring,,,the spring will stick out the rear of the frame.......):rolleyes:
also it helps to "align" things to start all the screws, through the grip frame and into the cylinder frame you can finger tight them, get them all started....and as G1 (Jim)stated use the proper sized, better yet a "hollow ground" type screw driver, NOT a standard Sears type ( flaired) on the sides) or you will scratch the holes in the grip frame , NEATNESS counts !!!;)(y)

contender

Ruger Guru
By now,, you've discovered we do like to help new folks & make sure they get good info on our beloved Rugers.
Do NOT hesitate to ask any questions. And NO question is too small, silly or whatever.