New Find

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bpimwheel

Bearcat
Joined the Ruger Forum the other day mainly to learn more about the four old model (3-screw) blackhawks that I just aquired.
7.5" 44 Mag 1972
4-5/8" 41 Mag 1970
4-5/8" 45 Colt/45 ACP 1971
4-5/8" 357 Mag/9mm 1971
And could not pass up an extra 7-1/2" Stainless Redhawk in 44 Mag
All are like new and in their original boxes.

Haven't got the chance to take them to the range yet.
I'm really excited about this acquisition and want to learn more about them.
All help is greatly appreciated.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!

You got a FINE batch of OM Rugers there. And yes,, pictures are a plus.

A little info based upon just what you have posted.

(1) The .44 Mag would be a Super Blackhawk, not just a Blackhawk. It'll have the "Dragoon" style grip frame.
(2) The .41 mag, is a very nice gun to have. They first appeared in 1965. Many feel the ones like you have are just about the "perfect packin' pistol."
(3) The convertible .45. Very desirable. The OM 45's were only made for (3) years, and fewer of that model than the OM Flattop .44 mags.
(4) The convertible .357/9mm. Another desirable model. Nice ones to have.
(5) The Redhawk. Built like a tank, and will outlast a few generations if cared for.

Now you mentioned they were all "like new & in original boxes." Excellent. A question; Does that include the brown cardboard shipping wrap? On the (2) convertibles,, that's the only box marked showing the guns as convertible. On the "display" boxes,, they list a model,, but the shipper has the "X" added to the model to show it's a convertible.
And lastly,, if any of them have a brass grip frame,, the value increases. For instance,, if the .41 mag has a brass grip frame,, it's VERY valuable.
As we like to say; "The devil is in the details!"

A nice bunch of Rugers

:):):)
stevesstuff.jpg

bpimwheel

Bearcat
OK Here are some pictures of the Blackhawks, my Redhawk, and my GP100 that Ive had for a while now.
Thanks much for all the information about these revolvers. I do appreciate it.
I do not have the outside shipping sleeve for any of them. Also I was told that the box for the Super Blackhawk might be a replacement.
I could not get a pix of the 357 as my brother has it right now. Also forgot to show the extra cylinder for the 45. Well, win some, lose some!

Again thanks for the info. Any and all knowledge of these guns is really appreciated.

In the last picture, the 45 Blackhawk shows what appears to be either gold leaf or gold colored paint filling in the factory roll marks. None of the other revolvers have this.
Is this factory, and is meant by it, or did the previous owner do this?

Also what is the deal with the polished aluminum grip frame and ERH? Is this factory or previous owner and any idea why?
1. Group Laying.JPG
2. Group Standing.JPG

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
Nice pictures. This helps a lot.
Ok, the Redhawk box looks like the correct one. And the boxes for the .41 & 45 look correct. You are correct in that the box for the .44 isn't the original one.

Next,, the .41. Someone polished the grip frame & the Ejector rod housing. Not factory. And the grips on it,, incorrect too. The broken grips are for a much earlier OM. Not any of those guns. Too bad,, that's a $100 set of grips if not damaged.
The .45,, and the gold coloring in the letters. Not factory,, and often done at home with a simple kit sold by several outfits over the years. It can be cleaned out or left as is.

bpimwheel

Bearcat
Contender
thanks for the helpful info. interesting enough the grip frames are
41 = XR3
45 & 357 = XR3-RED
molded in left side bottom of grip frame

XR3 is problematic trying to find another set of grip panels for it.

Contender
thanks for the helpful info. interesting enough the grip frames are
41 = XR3
45 & 357 = XR3-RED
molded in left side bottom of grip frame

XR3 is problematic trying to find another set of grip panels for it.

You made a heck of an introduction.

Nice quad of OM's.

Chad @ Chig's Grips can make you any grips you need. Send him the frame and the grips will be custom fit.

contender

Ruger Guru
If the .41 has an XR3 g/f and it's the OM one,, (Ruger did come out with a later XR3 for the NM's) then all you have to do is get a set of grips for the OM XR3. Not as hard as you'd think. Someone swapped out the original g/f on that .41. It should have the same g/f as the others, a XR3-RED.
The broken plastic ones are XR3.
But there are walnut ones too. Ruger made the XR3 for about 10 years. You could place a WTB ad in our Classifieds & a set may well appear fairly easily.
And as noted,, custom grip makers can easily make a NICE set of grips for one. Our own member here lscg makes some of the nicest grips I've seen since CaryC retired. (lscg stands for Lone Star Custom Grips)

wproct

Single-Sixer
Can't give you any info but will just say that you have a nice group of Ruger revolvers there!

bpimwheel

Bearcat
If the .41 has an XR3 g/f and it's the OM one,, (Ruger did come out with a later XR3 for the NM's) then all you have to do is get a set of grips for the OM XR3. Not as hard as you'd think. Someone swapped out the original g/f on that .41. It should have the same g/f as the others, a XR3-RED.
The broken plastic ones are XR3.
But there are walnut ones too. Ruger made the XR3 for about 10 years. You could place a WTB ad in our Classifieds & a set may well appear fairly easily.
And as noted,, custom grip makers can easily make a NICE set of grips for one. Our own member here lscg makes some of the nicest grips I've seen since CaryC retired. (lscg stands for Lone Star Custom Grips)
Contender - I suspected that the 41's GF was not original to the gun. As far as panels to the two XR3 GFs made as different times are the same profile and will fit except on the new XR3 Ruger changed the location of the guide pin about 1/8th of an inch. So without relocating the hole they do not fit. This Ive been told by two grip makers, I do not have the personal experience to say yes or no.

Yes both of the grips that I have for the 41 are XR3 but I do not have a new XR3 to try them on so I really do not know for sure if they are the same.
Im trying to find a factory walnut or such set to fit the 41. If all else fails I will have to have a set made. Walnut is nice but for custom made ones I would like something different, something like maybe Cocobolo with a reddish hue to it. Or I did see a really figured set make of French Walnut. But at this point just want a wooden set that fit the XR3 frame.

Guys, thanks for the grip makers pointers, I may have to go that way.
Contender - Lone Star Custom Grips
Gator89 - Chig's Grips

contender

Ruger Guru
"I suspected that the 41's GF was not original to the gun. As far as panels to the two XR3 GFs made as different times are the same profile and will fit except on the new XR3 Ruger changed the location of the guide pin about 1/8th of an inch. So without relocating the hole they do not fit. This Ive been told by two grip makers, I do not have the personal experience to say yes or no."

This is almost correct. The "new" XR3 g/f grip locator pin hole is not quite 1/8" off from the OM ones. They are actually very close,, but not quite exactly the same. Some folks have successfully opened up the new grip pin holes a little,, just enough to get a fit,, then filled in the wallowed out hole with an epoxy to get a tight fit. Of course they also use a release agent & tape to prevent any permanent attachment.

For what it's worth,, when you find an original set of OM XR3 grips,, they normally run in the $100-$125 range for a good set. A set of customs, say from lscg usually run in the $175 ish range,, depending upon the material. He just posted a few NICE sets of grips over on the singleactions forum. But,, they are for the later XR3-RED shaped frames.

bpimwheel

Bearcat
So I can assume that Lone Star Custom Grips is still in business? At looking at old post here and on SingleAction there was some question if he was still doing them. I believe he was called by name = Zane?
What is the best way to contact him?
Thanks for your information and help.

contender

Ruger Guru
Yes, his name is Zane. You can try to reach him via a PM here (his handle here is lscg) or if that doesn't work, PM me, and I'll give you a phone number. Texting him is easiest.
Yes, he's still doing grips.

Nice guns , excellent pictures too, good info from 'contender' and that polished XR-3 frame is isn't from any of these guns, BUT good stuff to have,,,keep your eye out for a nice OM XR-3 Red frame to replace it, piece of cake and another housing that shorty OM would look awesome......many times those old frames got polished out ,mix and match ,pimped their rides as they used to say....thank you for sharing.....(y)(y)

bpimwheel

Bearcat
Thanks guys for the info on the grip frame. I'm thinking I'd like to change the g/f on the 41 back to the original XR3-RED frame. So as I get more green backs for trading I'll probably take rugerguy's advice and post an ad here for a XR3-RED g/f.

I've never changed one but I'm assuming it is pretty straight forward, yes/no?

Also in posting an ad here for the g/f is there anything specific I should say in the ad other than this is for an old model (1963-1972)?

Again Thanks very much for the help.

being you are far out on the west side, try and see if 'Jussbad' ( Gary) may be able to help you out......he's GOOD people(y)(y)
yes if you were a little closer to here in the midwest or just down the street we would have had it done and changed already...........:cool:;)