New favorite knife

Help Support Ruger Forum:

deac45

Single-Sixer
The holidays haven't been all rush, rush, rush for me. I was able to get a little shop time in. :) This is a Kershaw Antelope Hunter II I got back in November. It's a great knife right out of the box, but...like my gun grips, I just prefer wood...
Before
Kershaw_Antelope001.jpg

After
AntlWlnt013.jpg

AntlWlnt014.jpg

AntlWlnt011.jpg

Walnut, stainless guard and pins.
Thanks for looking.

deac45

slowrider

Single-Sixer
deac, that is really slick looking work. What's the wood and did you grind the serration off the spine?

deac45

Single-Sixer
Thanks everyone. This was second attempt. First turned out o k but not to my liking, especially after I found this piece of wood.

Slowrider, it is black walnut and yes, I did remove the serrations from the spine. I was hesitant to, but there was just enough metal between the bottom of the grooves and the top of the plunge line to allow it.

deac45

Wow, that's really nice work!

Question . . . would not the original grip material be more practical for a "working knife" than that pretty wood? Please understand that I'm not criticizing your work. You have a gorgeous knife there. It just seems that the original "synthetic" whatever would provide a better grip and be more durable.

I have to admit I'd rather wear the wood on my belt, though.

;)

deac45

Single-Sixer
Ale-8(1)":kvkytbqc said:
Question . . . would not the original grip material be more practical for a "working knife" than that pretty wood?...

That's a good question Ale! I had to really think a bit on it but here goes...

I suppose from a purely practical perspective the original rubber handle would be better. For me though, rubber handles create hot spots on my hand in extended use, no matter how well the design...and don't get me wrong, the origanal handle on this knife is a fantastic design. My only complaint on it, other than rubber, is it's a little skinny for me, especially top to bottom. It has an eight coat, semi gloss Tru-Oil finish same as I have always used on knives and gun grips in the past. I"ve never had a problem with slippage when things get wet and slimy.
Will that pretty wood get dinged up? I certainly hope so...for that would mean I've been afield, on the streams and by the campfires with it as a faithful companion.
Am I worried about it getting dinged up? Nope. When it gets to looking too bad I'll just redo it. Between now and then I'm going to enjoy the bejabbers out of it! :mrgreen: Besides, the wood was a gimme so all I've got invested is my time...and isn't that what hobbies are for? To eat up your spare time? :lol:
No sir, life's too short for safequeens. Pretty things are meant to be enjoyed.

deac45

mt

Single-Sixer
Wow! That's a beaut, and a great job fitting the wood on the bottom of the grip. Working with tempered steel isn't easy but you made it look great.

Is the guard/bolster tacked, friction fit or pinned? It looks too narrow to be pinned but however you did it, I like it.

mt

deac45

Single-Sixer
Thanks, mt. It has a hidden tang so the guard is one piece. It slides over the tang and is held in place by the grip, no pins needed. Some then solder the joint to seal it but I've always used JB Weld with no problems.

deac45