New Colt King Cobra Target Weight: What's the Deal?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Snake45

Hawkeye
Recently I've read two reviews of the new Colt King Cobra Target (4 1/4" barrel) where the weight was given as 38 and 39 ounces. This is as much as a steel 5" 1911, and a bit more than a Smith 19/66.

Colt's own website gives the weight as 36 ounces, still as much as a steel Combat Commander.

The new KC is based on a new version of the old D frame, home of the Police Positive, Detective Special, and Diamondback, and the alltime 6-shot .38 weight value champ. By comparison, Wikipedia lists the weights of the Diamondback in 2.5, 4, and 6 inch lengths as:

.38: 26, 28.5, 30.5 ounces

.22: 28.5, 31, 36 ounces

The Colt website has the 3" (fixed sight) version of the new KC as 28 ounces, which seems reasonable (and very practical). I'm having a hard time seeing where another 1.25 inches of barrel would add 8, 10, or 11 ounces, depending on whose figures you believe.

WTH is the story here?

Thel

Blackhawk
Some thoughts. I am sure that a cross section of the King Cobra barrel would show more metal than say that of a Diamondback. The top strap on the King Cobras, especially the adjustable sighted one, are far heavier. Than compared to the 3" KC you do have another 1.25" of barrel. Also, the additional 1.25" does not have the cutout for the ejector rod so there is more metal per inch than the first 2 - 2.5" of barrel.

It is also interesting the new Python has added several ounces compared to the old Python due to the heavier top strap.

In comparing to the K frame 66 the cylinder on the King Cobra is only a couple of thousands less than the 66 in diameter. The new 66's have a 2 piece barrel that should be slightly lighter than the old and were half lug versus full lug on the KC. It is possible that the frame on the new KC's have picked up a couple of ounces elsewhere compared to the old D frame. I would guess if a lighter profile half lugged barrel were employed the 4.25" KC would come in around 33 ounces with some of the additional weight due to heavier top strap.

Even if one compares a new Cobra to an old Detective Special the new frame seems to be about 4 oz heavier and barrel profiles would seem to offer about equal weight.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Thel, thanks for your thoughts/insights. Most appreciated! :wink:

If you're right, the new KCT then, even at the "low" weight of 36 ounces, offers no advantage over the Smith 19/66 as an outdoorsman's/trail gun. I'll cross it off my "Gotta Have It!" list and keep happily shooting my 4" .22 Diamondback for fun and sport.

The 28 ounce 3" version, however, still has a several ounce advantage over a 2.5/3" Smith 66, and would seem to be just about a perfect all-day carry launch vehicle for .38 +Ps. That one stays on my list. :wink: