New cartridge coming maybe good one 400 legend

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dgr416

Single-Sixer
I am kinda interested in this one a super 10 mm if it's in a carbine ar or even better ruger mini 14 .It's based on straight 6 8 spc .I think it will have more knockdown than the 350 legend .Irs not out yet but the cats out of the bag .

dgr416

Single-Sixer
It's alot more powerful than the 350 .I hope they make good bullets for it. WINchester had a 400 Winchester like the 375 win but never released it .I think this one might be the ultimate straight wall repeater for the ar platform

Although there is no logic in feeling this way, I just do not like rebated rims.

There is logic to it - rebated rims can sometimes cause feeding difficulties. The .350 Legend has a rebated rim, because it's essentially a 9x19 (tapered case) stretched out to 9x43, with a 5.56 rim instead of the 9x19 rim, so it can function with existing 5.56 / .223 / .300 Blackout bolts. It appears to have worked out well enough, that the same approach is being used for the .400 Legend - it is a tapered case like the .350, and NOT a straight 6.8 SPC case as suggested above (the base diameter is larger than the 6.8). And because they wanted to use an existing bolt design (6.8SPC / .224 Valkyrie), it's got a rebated rim.

I'm not sure if they're designing these with tapered cases to increase case capacity, aid feeding & extraction, and/or possibly head spacing, or if it's just to sell brass. Another issue for some folks is the need to lube cases before resizing; if these were true "straight wall" cases, it would be easier to make carbide sizing dies that wouldn't need lube.

But, if it ends up feeding reliably, it could still be a good cartridge (and fun to reload)!
:)

Last edited:
For anyone interested in wildcat cartridges, here's a big bore round without a rebated rim, that uses existing reloading dies and brass/bullets:

:)