New car prices. Gulp.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rclark

Hunter
Note that I was thinking of replacing my Dodge 1997 pickup earlier this year.... Prices of new trucks are insane. So we decided to just purchase permanent plates for it and forget about ever getting a new truck. Looks like I've been priced out of the market.

My concern is the new generation. Between house prices and vehicle prices and prices in general, I don't know how they are going to ever have the standard of living we have/had.....

Last edited:

Mauser9

Single-Sixer
Ha!! Agree guys. Sometimes I wonder how people are coping at all with these insane prices.

jimbo1096

Hunter
I was looking at a new Dodge Charger back in 2020, when they had a nice rebate. Decided I didn't want it bad enough to foot the extra car note so didn't get it. I guess I should have because now they are asking more for a used one with decent mileage than I would have bought it for, same car, and I could sell it back to them for a profit. 🤯

Out west, there's pretty much nothing for sale in the new car market. With the chip shortage, the new car lots are mostly void of new cars. So, if they get a couple to sell, and they charge what folks paid in the past, the dealer is not going to survive. I don't like it, and I wont buy one for the value-added cost, but I also understand a dealer will go bankrupt if he sells a car for the loss-leader prices of the past if he can't make up for it in volume sales.

I will look forward to full lots and huge incentives sales.

Ride1949

Blackhawk
I'm still driving a '79 F-150 4wd. No plans for a new one, even if I could afford it.

Last edited:

Galaxiedan

Blackhawk
Just received my new truck, 2022 Ford Lightning. Ended up ordering it from an out of state dealer because the local dealers all wanted 20-50k adm fee added. I've already been offered 40k over what I paid for it. I paid MSRP

Galaxiedan

Blackhawk
KIMG0389.JPG

BearBiologist

Single-Sixer
My car is a 2019 4Runner SR5 Premium. Bought it 2 years ago with 17K on the odometer for about $43K. Now has about 28K and I can sell it for as much or MORE than I paid for it! People are waiting MONTHS for cars they ordered before they even left Japan. Dealers are making "market adjustments" of $10K or more! They just say "Take it or leave it"

Granted a 4Runner with 200K on the odometer can still go for $10K or even $15K, it is ridiculous! They have a reputation for one of the longest lasting SUVs on the road. Many will go over 200K and quite a few make 300K miles. I checked just one dealer in town and they have 3 2015-2016 4Runners of different levels with 81K to 95K on the odometers for $35K to $40K on the lot. For months there would only be one for sale in the valley.

Attachments

• 4Runner Manzanar.JPG
    8 MB · Views: 7

Rclark

Hunter
Something has to give (I'd think).... either that or there a 'lot' of people out there with deep pockets that don't really 'care' what the price is... or just don't care how far into debt they go.... Whether vehicle or house.... I just know it is not me ... and everything I own from house to vehicles is 'paid in full' and I still bulk at paying these current prices.

if you want to pay cash and not finance they don't even want to sell you the vehicle.
Hadn't heard that one. That is how we would pay (now). Even before that, we usually financed 'outside' the dealer and just gave dealer a check. Why? We got 'burned' on the first vehicle we bought as a young married couple. Found out we had to pay 'all' the interest (for life of loan) even if we paid the balance early. That didn't set well, so never financed through a car company again unless 0% was offered. Anyway, interesting....

Last edited:

BearBiologist

Single-Sixer
Something has to give (I'd think).... either that or there a 'lot' of people out there with deep pockets that don't really 'care' what the price is... or just don't care how far into debt they go.... Whether vehicle or house.... I just know it is not me ... and everything I own from house to vehicles is 'paid in full' and I still bulk at paying these current prices.

Hadn't heard that one. That is how we would pay (now). Even before that, we usually financed 'outside' the dealer and just gave dealer a check. Why? We got 'burned' on the first vehicle we bought as a young married couple. Found out we had to pay 'all' the interest off even if we paid the balance early. That didn't set well, so never financed through a car company again unless 0% was offered. Anyway, interesting....
Right!! We took money from my 401(k) when I retired because we didn't want car payments and our existing cars were getting a bit long in the tooth. We were told "This is what we will do. Take it or leave it. We've had 3 other couples come in since we opened 3 hours ago so far this AM."

Hawk-in-Wi

Buckeye
I just put in a order for the new Ford Maverick XLT with Luxury Package, 2.5L Hybrid engine with FWD , may take up to a year to get it built but if it does at least I'm locked in $28,000 MSRP ,, I know thats kind of nuts but with cost of gas and they'e get 40+mpg I'm thinking it's worth it

vito

Hunter
I was really thinking about a new vehicle this year too, but after researching, I'll stick with what I have. Asking way over MSRP was one thing. Second was all the do-dads for 'safety' that I didn't want but come standard now. The nail in coffin was the 'turn engine off at idle, then restart'. Yes there is a button on dash to disable it, but you have to press every time you get in the vehicle. No way to 'permanently' turn off. So no go for me. I was really wanting a higher off ground AWD vehicle, than our car... So it goes. Probably just get permanent plates for it when 10 years rolls around and just keep it.

The auto off feature, for saving on gas, works pretty seamlessly on the two cars that I have that have this feature. Just lifting my foot off the brake immediately restarts the engine, or stepping on the accelerator. It really happens so fast that I don't even think about it. The ONLY time that it might be a problem is if waiting to make a left turn in busy traffic, where the moment the opening occurs in the traffic coming toward me is when I have to move quickly. In that unusual situation, I press the "Auto Off" button to disable that feature and in that way avoid even that momentary hesitation in getting the engine on again. But 99.9% of the time it is just working in the background with no inconvenience for me. I wouldn't let that stop me from getting a particular vehicle.

40nascar

Single-Sixer
Lucked out and am getting a 2023 Camry hybrid for msrp. On order and allocated. I have about a 6 week wait. Trading in an older Camry and newer Sentra. I get the new car for less than 9k out of my pocket.

The 2023 epa mileage estimates are 44/47. Very happy with the deal. We'll see how the car works out once we get it. The money in gas we will save makes this a great deal. Also, trading in 2 cars gets the wife off my back about our car lot.

Mauser9

Single-Sixer
Lucked out and am getting a 2023 Camry hybrid for msrp. On order and allocated. I have about a 6 week wait. Trading in an older Camry and newer Sentra. I get the new car for less than 9k out of my pocket.

The 2023 epa mileage estimates are 44/47. Very happy with the deal. We'll see how the car works out once we get it. The money in gas we will save makes this a great deal. Also, trading in 2 cars gets the wife off my back about our car lot.
Nice to hear some good news from this thread. Been horrified hearing some of the stories concerning pricing and even if they were willing to sell without applying for a hugh loan. Being a bit vintage in age myself have a hard time with these outrageous prices. For a guy that paid $1000 for a 4 year old Mustang back in 69 and $2400 for a 2 year old Challenger in 72 it can be mind boggling. Yep it is years later but prices didn't triple 5 times over in my "olden days"

40nascar

Single-Sixer
I paid $750 for my first car, A 1966 Chevelle. It had a 283, with 2 barrel carb. Nothing to get really excited about. But it was a sharp looking Car that was 14 yrs. Old.

BearBiologist

Single-Sixer
I paid $750 for my first car, A 1966 Chevelle. It had a 283, with 2 barrel carb. Nothing to get really excited about. But it was a sharp looking Car that was 14 yrs. Old.
Paid $700 for my second car (First was a wedding present from my mom=1960 Galaxie). It was a 1967 Chevy Impala-10 yrs. old. Bought it with my separation pay from the Army.

dstegjas

Bearcat
We always keep our vehicles for a long time. So we’re always shocked at the new prices. My last F250 was 15 years old when I sold it. The engine still ran great with 233,000 miles on it. The body on the other hand was rusting away. I replaced it with a new 2017 F250. Being the first year with the aluminum bodies on the 3/4 tons. It very well be the last truck I will need to buy. Or afford to buy for that matter.

Ka6otm

Blackhawk
I was really thinking about a new vehicle this year too, but after researching, I'll stick with what I have. Asking way over MSRP was one thing. Second was all the do-dads for 'safety' that I didn't want but come standard now. The nail in coffin was the 'turn engine off at idle, then restart'. Yes there is a button on dash to disable it, but you have to press every time you get in the vehicle. No way to 'permanently' turn off. So no go for me. I was really wanting a higher off ground AWD vehicle, than our car... So it goes. Probably just get permanent plates for it when 10 years rolls around and just keep it.
Got that on my 2021 Ford Bronco Sport. I push the button to start the engine, reach down to the console to disengage the parking brake and turn the dial to put it in drive or reverse depending on where I am, bring my hand up to the dash to punch the auto on/off disable button. It must take an additional one to two seconds to do it at least. I demand this change. I don't have the one to two seconds to spare in my busy life.

Latest posts