new blackhawk, how to remove internal lock?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

What does the lock look like? Is it like the S&W? I never knew Ruger SA revolvers were being made with locks that aren't the type that slip into the trigger guard or cylinder.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Enigma said:
So, did anyone answer the OP's question? I refuse to read 3 pages in order to determine that.

One answer was eliminate the lock (with my Ruger Bearcat strut seat idea, in the post above). Shown here in a Bearcat:
Dsc00106.jpg

Ruger will send it to you free, part # PR5 (like all small parts) by calling the parts dept: (336) 949-5200

Another quicker method to answer the OP's question is to sand down the sides of the lock 1/32" of each side of the lock (it'll still lock) on a belt sander. That will allow all flat backed grips to fit on the Ruger Flattop NM Blackhawk and Vaquero that have the thin 7/16" thick grip frames. Then you don't have to hollow out custom grips 1/32" on the back side to fit.

Not needed on regular NM Blackhawks and single sixes that have the standard 1/2" thick grip frames.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
seasterl said:
What does the lock look like? Is it like the S&W? I never knew Ruger SA revolvers were being made with locks that aren't the type that slip into the trigger guard or cylinder.

The lock looks like this (Not at all like the S&W; and easy to remove):

DSC00231.jpg

Grip frames that had locks from 2005 until 2012:

On newly designed 2005 7/16" thick grip frames in Blue and stainless XR3 size for New Vaqueros* and NM Flat Top Blackhawks*. Also all 1/2" thick alum alloy grips frames for the Single Sixes and Blackhawks.

* On these two models only, there was also a hammer spring change from 28 coils to 25 coils that coincided with the introduction of the lock, (which have a shorter strut and pin hole location for disassembly.) And the 25 coil spring is still used on those models after the lock was discontinued I believe. This was in response to CAS shooter market demands that resulted in the New Vaq mid-frame size, and lighter hammer spring on both NV (also includes long hammer spur), and FT models. Hence the better feel of their actions.