New Blackhawk .357 Owner...Base Pin Wedged Against Barrel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Montelores

Buckeye
After gaining some experience with Single-Sixes, I purchased a .357 Blackhawk 6 1/2 inch blued model. While cleaning it prior to my first shoot with it, I somehow wedged the base pin against the barrel.

While the cylinder was removed and the base pin extended forward, the cut-out (normally against the barrel) on the collar on the front of the base pin twisted while I was handling the gun, so the base pin was no longer riding parallel to the barrel or its hole.

I removed the ejector shroud, and the base pin slipped forward and out of its hole with little effort - problem solved.

Question : Did I possibly tweak either the frame hole or the base pin? Everything slips back together easily, and I don't believe that I was man-handling the gun while I was cleaning it.

Thank you in advance -

Monty

Montelores

Buckeye
Thank you for the response and the welcome. I'm sure I'll be benefitting from your and others experience in the future. I've become hooked on the Single-Six revolvers, and I'm sure the Blackhawk won't disappoint.

Monty

nvbirdman

Blackhawk
Keep an eye on that ejector housing screw, if you didn't Lock-Tite it back in it will back out and things will go flying away.

Montelores

Buckeye
I was planning to clean the screw hole with alcohol prior to re-installing with red loctite. Thank you for the warning.

Monty

btrumanj

Single-Sixer
Yep it happens sometimes I keep a small pair of pliers in my bag with tape on the nose and jaws to turn it a bit. :)