New Big Bore gun...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

IrvJr

Single-Sixer
I recently took the plunge and bought a Bond Arms Texas Defender. It's a stainless steel derringer with 3" barrels. My gun has a set of .44 special barrels. I've also placed an order for a set of .45 Colt barrels.

Here's a photo of my gun, plus an Altoids tin which I use to carry spare ammo...

smder1.JPG

I bought the gun kind of as a novelty, but also because I wanted a very compact, yet reliable handgun that I could carry while hiking, camping, hunting, etc..

For a brief time, I owned a NAA Mini Revolver in 22LR. It was such a beautifully crafted firearm, but for me, it wasn't very practical. It was inaccurate, underpowered, and very hard to shoot safely due to its tiny size and also due to its lack of a trigger guard. I was always afraid that I'd shoot my hand or drop the gun and have a negligient discharge, so I eventually sold my mini revolver back to the gun shop.

I recently got the tiny gun bug again. I was originally thinking about a compact semi-auto (like the Ruger LCP or the KelTec 32/380 pistols). However, although those semi-autos are great guns, I wanted something different.

I finally opted for the Bond Arms Texas Defender. I like its all stainless construction, its compact size, and its safety features (rebouding hammer and trigger guard). I also like the available calibers that the factory offers for this gun.

I picked up my gun yesterday and took it to the range today. I was a little bit nervous about shooting the gun because I had heard (on the Internet) that the gun kicked too much, was wildly inaccurate, etc.. Fortunately, I was pleasantly surprised by the performance of this compact firearm.

The gun shoots well for such a tiny beast. I shot factory and handloaded ammo (standard pressure) at 10 feet (around 3 meters) and for my first 8 shots, got two nice, tight groups. The first group, which was from the bottom barrel, was about 2" below point of aim. The second group was about 3" above point of aim.

Here's a photo of the results of my first 8 shots ever from this little gun...

smder2.JPG

I also tried shooting the gun at 11 yards. This was more challenging due to the tiny sight radius, the heavy trigger action, and the small grip size. However, I still managed to keep my most of shots on the paper and all of them were within the torso of a human-sized silhouette target that was stapled behind my circular target. The lower barrel shot closer to point-of-aim, but the upper barrel seemed to hit quite high.

The gun has its quirks - the handle is very compact so getting a grip is tricky, but it is possible to find a grip that is comfortable/secure, yet still allows you to operate the gun.

Also, the trigger action is heavy and it requires that you pull the trigger back while simultaneously pushing it down. However, with a little practice, you get used to this action, and if you do it right, the actual trigger pull weight isn't as heavy as it first seems.

It takes a little muscle to cock the hammer, but I can do it quickly and with one hand. However, a person with weak or arthritic hands might have difficulty cocking the hammer single-handedly.

Note that the manufacturer offers extended grips that make it much easier to hold the gun and cock and fire it. However, since I want a compact piece, I will stick to the standard compact grips on my pistol.

The recoil with standard pressure .44 special loads was manageable due to the weight of the gun and the shape of the grip frame.

The gun is heavy (21 oz for the .44 sp version) and you only get two single action shots before you have to reload. However, the gun is very compact (in spite of the thick grip panels on the grip frame) and easy to carry and conceal.

I really like my new purchase. This little gun is quirky, and requires a lot of practice to get comfortable with its operation. However, it is very well made, reliable, reasonably accurate, and very durable.

In spite of its single action mechanism and limited capacity, the little gun is still a formidable weapon at close range (< 4 yards).

I plan to develop a .44 special load that uses a hard cast, 255 gr bullet and a .45 Colt load that uses a hard cast 265gr bullet that I could use when hiking/hunting/camping.

Nakagawa

Single-Sixer
I've always wanted one...It looks great! I hear that the trigger guard makes it harder to pull the trigger, and that by taking it off and making it look like a normal derringer, the way you grip the gun then, makes it really easy to pull the trigger. May want to try it out.

loiblb

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the information. Got a NAA .22 but it's not very easy to shoot.
Thought about replaceing it with a LCP or somthing like the Bond

IrvJr

Single-Sixer
batmann said:
A lot of horsepower in a tiny package. How did your hand feel after shooting?

Hi Batmann - I shot about 30 rounds of standard pressure 44 cartridges (240 gr bullets). My hands felt fine. I think the weight of the gun helps a lot. The hammer has a cam in it that alternates between the upper and lower barrels each time you cock the gun. when I shoot the lower barrel, the recoil is sort of straight back into the hand. When I shoot the top barrel, the recoil is sort of rolling, like a Ruger Blackhawk.

I also own a S&W J-frame that has a titanium cylinder and an alloy frame (I think it weighs only 12 or 13 ounces unloaded). That gun hurts a lot more when I shoot it because the lightweight allow frame gets smacked against your hand, even with standard pressure .38 loads.

The Bond Arms gun is heavy enough and the big bore cartridges are low pressure enough that the recoil doesn't seem bad at all. I haven't tried any peppy loads in the gun, but I do want to develop a couple of loads that have heavier bullets. I think the perceived recoil will be higher with the heavier bullets.

I'm still waiting on the delivery of the 45 Colt barrels. I'll post an update/range report when I get a chance to try out the 45 cartridges in this little gun.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
I have a High Standard .22 WMR derringer that has "snappy" recoil, bet a .44/45 gets your attention! The little HS is a good last ditch hideout arm for "across a card table range", but starts to keyhole not far past that.... :? A 40 gr .22 mag still gets 1,000 fps out of the teeny barrels though... :wink:

That Bond seems danged accurate! Keep us up to speed amigo... :wink:

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
Nice, I always liked derringers, not sure why. I have a Davis in 32 auto, now there is something with a heavy trigger pull :)

BigJ71

Single-Sixer
Nice review!

I've found the exact same characteristics as you did with mine (.45 Colt). As you have said, once you figure out how to hold it and the proper trigger squeeze, it can be a fairly accurate (inside of ten yards) little gun.

They are also very strong guns and I've fired full +P Corbon 300gr @1300fps loads out of it and it handles them just fine. However, it will absolutely pound that little grip right into your palm... It made my hand pretty sore for the better part of the day. :)

I take it camping and hiking (where pack weight is an issue) and I usually load it up with medium (1000fps +/-) reloads with a 250gr Hornady in the one barrel and a .45Colt shot shell in the other so I'm ready for what ever I encounter.

They are great little guns no doubt.

GKC

Blackhawk
I handled one in my local gun shop the other day...dang those little things are heavy!

Congratulations!

Nakagawa

Single-Sixer
Anyone shoot 357 magnum out of one of these? And will they keyhole with all calibers past ten yards? How come a stub nose does not do this? They have very short barrels as well even smaller than the ones on these derringers.

IrvJr

Single-Sixer
BigJ71 said:
Nice review!

They are also very strong guns and I've fired full +P Corbon 300gr @1300fps loads out of it and it handles them just fine. However, it will absolutely pound that little grip right into your palm... It made my hand pretty sore for the better part of the day. :)

BigJ71 - I bow to your awesomeness. :D I don't think I would want to shoot a 300gr +P 45 Colt load out of that little gun! I agree - I think these little things make good trail companions.

Nakagawa said:
Anyone shoot 357 magnum out of one of these? And will they keyhole with all calibers past ten yards? How come a stub nose does not do this? They have very short barrels as well even smaller than the ones on these derringers.

Nakagawa - I shot my gun (44 special) at 11 yards and did NOT experience any keyholing. I would imagine that the .357 mag barrels have enough rifling to stabilize the bullet. In my opinion, the accuracy challenges at > 10 yards are primarily due to the short sight radius, tiny grip, heavy trigger, and also to the over/under layout of the barrels. I actually got a decent group from the top barrel at 11 yards. However, the shots hit pretty high above the point of aim.

If you look on the Bond Arms website, they have some QuickTime movies of Bob Munden shooting the little gun. He shoots the little derringer (with a 3" barrel) at a steel silhouette target at 65 yards and hits it. I'm sure his gun has a very smooth and light custom action, but still, if you practice enough, you could probably hit stuff consistently at 10 yards.

Nakagawa, Theres a bit of a learning curve with these the more you shoot it the better it will feel. Heck the first I fired mine the trigger pull was tough, now I actually really don't notice how strong it is.

Actually I just fired 357 for the first time this past weekend. Not sure about the keyholing as I haven't tried it on paper. Have fun shooting cans at about 10 or 12 feet. The 357 shoot more accurate than the .45's The .45's shoot high about a foot lol, The .410 buck shot you cain't miss. Enjoy a real FUN gun. ps

steve b

Single-Sixer
Thanks for a very nice review. Got me interested ! Have a VQ NM Sheriffs and a Bulldog in .44spec.. This would be another small CCW'able .44. Cool ! steve b

BigJ71

Single-Sixer
IrvJr said:
BigJ71 said:
Nice review!

BigJ71 - I bow to your awesomeness. :D I don't think I would want to shoot a 300gr +P 45 Colt load out of that little gun! I agree - I think these little things make good trail companions.

Ha, more like my stupidity LOL!

That little gun handles them just fine though. I really like the 45.colt/.410 barrel they offer and I may just order one. I'm thinking the .410 could be used as a small critter killer in a pinch.

IrvJr

Single-Sixer
steve b - i definitely recommend this little gun. it is a very carry-able .44. i loaded up some more ammo last night and will hopefully go to the range this week or this coming weekend.

i've been using a Uncle Mike's pocket holster to port the derringer around, but i've also heard that the Desantis Nemesis (sized for a Kahr PM9) is a good fit for this gun.

BigJ71 - the fellow at the local shop said the 410's are a handful, but a lot of fun. I can't imagine that the recoil with a 410 shell would be any worse than the recoil of +P colt loads.