New Bearcat Shopkeeper Accuracy Good?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Modernhoglegs

Bearcat
What can y'all tell me about the new Bearcat Shopkeeper with the bird head grip frame?

Jeff Quinn over at Gunblast.com had nice things to say about it, but American Rifleman's review included a shooting results table was showing 3" at 7 yards.

I own a pair of New Model Bearcats, and they are fun to shoot, but picky regarding ammo. Bulk pack ammo throws 4" groups 3" low and 6" right at 25 yards. At first I thought it was me lobstering the gun, but the POI is the same whether I shoot them left or right handed, off a rest, Weaver stance, or duelist.

I tried some CCI mini mags right before the ammo crunch started, but the ammo options in my 'hood (The neighbors moved out long ago) is pretty poor ever since. GRoup size with the CCI was better, but I think the guns will do better with the right load.

I love the look of the new one, but I don't want to spend the money if the mechanical accuracy is as poor as American Rifleman sayhs it is.

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
I'm no pistolero, but I can shoot 2" offhand groups at 10-15 yards with mine.

There was a pretty big difference between point of aim and point of impact for me. But once I figured out a sight picture that worked for me, it has been pretty easy to hit with.

SR

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
I've had the best accuracy with CCI 36-grain HP mini-mags. But those seem to shoot well in about any .22 I have - 10/22, k-22, standard auto, etc. It just seems to be good stuff.

SR

You know I don't have the shopkeeper but I do have a bearcat. It doesn't seem like it would be accurate, but surprisingly it is.

I think the fixed sight revolvers are pretty accurate. I have a NM Vaquero, the manual says the sights are regulated for 15 yards and they are indeed spot on at that distance. Simply, If I'm shooting closer or further away I just adjust the sight picture.

Modernhoglegs

Bearcat
I plan to adjust the sights once I can find a brand of ammo that will group worth beans.
A 2" group at 25 yards would make me perfectly happy, but what I get now is awful.
I hope the CCI Mini-Mags South_Ridge suggested will be the ticket.

BradB

Bearcat
I owned a Blue New Bearcat bought say eight years back. Someone brought over a box of Winchester Super X high velocity from Walmart. Box say's 1300 FPS. I thought something happened to my gun because it was shooting all over the place. Went back to standard velocity all lead ammo and accuracy was better.

Leads me to believe they work better with slower bullets. Just an FYI for what its worth.