New Bearcat grips- UPDATE

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I started this thread looking for a grip that I had in mind, but had no luck.

I'm not a grip maker, but I finally put other projects aside and designed my idea of an improved but factory like grip for my OM Super Bearcat (with NM Super Hammer). Something to fill my hand a little more on this diminutive Ruger SA that still had a traditional look the same as other Ruger SA grips, rather than a target grip. I installed the current small Bearcat medallions for a factory look but relocated them higher and moved forward for correct proportion. They appear and feel like standard Ruger grips on all other size SA Rugers. Sorry I don't take the best photos.
orig.jpg

Fairly simple to make by tracing the original grip with extra wood left up front. As shown here I routed the back of the new top front square section with a routing bit in my Dremel. The front overlay is 1/16" to 3/32" thick and overlays the frame. The extra thickness extends the full length of the grip for a decent handful. I should have taken a rear view with both grips attached.
At first I left them longer to extend below the butt, but it looked too out of proportion for my eye. And also took away from the natural compactness of the Bearcat as an easy packin' trail gun.

To me the original Bearcat grip screw location looked too low on the grip, especially with my taller grip design. So I swapped the Bearcat main spring seat for one from a Ruger DA revolver. As can be seen, it has a convenient 1/2 circle cut away which allowed a higher placement of the grip screw. I think it would be improved even more by placing the screw above the spring seat to raise it a little further.

I'm happy with the result which achieved just what I was trying to accomplish. Not quite finished yet but final sanding and a coat or two of Tru Oil is all that they lack.

orig.jpg

Like I said, I'm not a grip maker so I'd just as soon have our skilled forum grip maker members pick it up and run with it.

Hondo, they look great. Any chance you could get a 'top' view photo. My 'shooter' Cat would like to have a pair of grips a bit larger. I could get started and it would keep me in the house and off the street for a while making them. :) :roll:

caryc

Hawkeye
Hondo,

Congrats you did a nice job on those grips. But, as for grip makers, here's how it is, at least for me. I don't even make Bearcat grips because I don't get enough requests for them to make it worth while tooling up to make them. Specialty things like that are probably just not going to be that profitable for me.

But again, you did a nice job on the grips and showed a lot of ingenuity. Believe it or not, that's how I got started making grips. I wanted a pair of birds eye maple grips and couldn't order them anywhere so I made my own.

But, if you got set up to produce them fairly quickly you might just find a market for them, who knows? Maybe you could corner the market if enough people wanted them, that's the key.

I held a Bearcat in my hands once in a gun store and it was so small that I just couldn't bring myself to buy it. But hey, that's just me. Don't remember who it was but someone did a lot of custom work on one and it was a gorgeous little thing to behold.

Those grips are nice. I like the first set pictured with the hardware underneath.

BUT. ...I appreciate the Bearcat because of the grip shape as well. They are just different enough.