New Bearcat ammo surprise...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

smith1961

Blackhawk
Have a 2013 born Bearcat like new recently acquired. Went to indoor range today with a Winchester 555 box. Couldn't get but 50% of rounds to fire, some with double strikes. I know to try some other stuff like CCI and such, but wow!?!? The strikes on the rim all seemed deep and defined, and some would fire after being ejected and placed back into the cylinder, but 50% or greater failure is making me think a trip to the factory could be in future. Thoughts?

harley08

Blackhawk
Have a 2013 born Bearcat like new recently acquired. Went to indoor range today with a Winchester 555 box. Couldn't get but 50% of rounds to fire, some with do
Have a 2013 born Bearcat like new recently acquired. Went to indoor range today with a Winchester 555 box. Couldn't get but 50% of rounds to fire, some with double strikes. I know to try some other stuff like CCI and such, but wow!?!? The strikes on the rim all seemed deep and defined, and some would fire after being ejected and placed back into the cylinder, but 50% or greater failure is making me think a trip to the factory could be in future. Thoughts?
Call Ruger, Tell them what is going on. They will help you!

hittman

Staff member
Federal always works best in my 22s.
Remington always makes them puke.
Haven't shot much Aguila but never had problems with it and it's plentiful around these parts.

jyo

Single-Sixer
For some reason bulk 22 ammo (especially Remington and Winchester) QC has gone into the toilet over the last several years! Fortunately, I have a stash of much older production of several brands (including Remington and Winchester) that functions just fine and I can't remember the last time I had a failure to feed, fire or eject...

GasGuzzler

Hunter
Winchester sells the most garbage 22LR of any major manufacturer and their bulk is even worse.

When I was breaking in my 10/22, I bought some of the red box Winchester. After 50 rounds, the receiver looked like I sprayed it down with WD-40 then drug it through a melon patch. Never again! I use CCI mini-mags and Federal AutoMatch in my 10/22, Federal AutoMatch in my 22/45, and CCI Stadard Velocity in my Marlin 60. The Single Six eats anything, obviously. The 39A will shoot anything too.

DGW1949

Hunter
Once upon a time, I swore by Winchester 'Super X' and their 40 grn Wildcats. But then I began having fail to function problems out of one, then the other. As far as I'm concerned, Remington .22's have purty-much been junk for at least 50 years that I know of. "Junk" here meaning that sometimes the dern things wouldn't even fire....On the other side of things, CCI Mini-Mags have always worked great for me, as has Federal's copper plated 'High Velocity' offerings. As a matter of fact, I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that if whatever kind of .22 you've got don't function right with CCI Mini-Mags, you've got some sort of gun problem....and yeah, I know that .22 ammo cost more than it should these days, and yeah the two I'm recommending cost more than some of the others...but...

DGW

Ordguy

Single-Sixer
Winchester ammo won't fully chamber in my Bearcat. Federal, CCi, & Armscor work fine.

...As far as I'm concerned, Remington .22's have purty-much been junk for at least 50 years that I know of. "Junk" here meaning that sometimes the dern things wouldn't even fire....On the other side of things, CCI Mini-Mags have always worked great for me, as has Federal's copper plated 'High Velocity' offerings. As a matter of fact, I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that if whatever kind of .22 you've got don't function right with CCI Mini-Mags, you've got some sort of gun problem....

Funny - I had a .22 conversion kit for a centerfire pistol, that I expected (based on reviews) to run like a champ with quality ammo. I tried CCI Mini-Mags first, and was surprised when they wouldn't feed. Tried all of the other "top shelf" ammo I had, with similar results. Finally, I tried a half box of leftover CCI SGB ammo, and it ran fine, so I knew the conversion kit could work as advertised. That encouraged me enough to try the cheaper ammo I had in stock, and I discovered that it also liked Remington Thunderbolts & Remington Cyclones.

Guess it sometimes depends on the firearm, along with bullet shape, cartridge length, etc.!

As always IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc., etc.
:)