New American Rimfire Standard - with issues

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Eclem

Bearcat
My AmRim Standard arrived last evening, and my FFL took care of me late. (classy guy, owner of Connecticut Carries in Sterling CT) This morning I started cleaning and scope mounting. I saw that the stock is touching the barrel on left side - a dollar bill will not slide under the barrel - it is not free floated. Got the scope on and did some trigger testing using snaps. The trigger is around 5 lbs. so I went to remove the action to lighten towards 3 lbs. The front action screw was extremely tight but I got it off. The rear screw is immovable, like it was put on with an impact wrench. Obviously the screw head stripped under force. It AINT coming out. Huge disappointment and sent a note to Ruger Cust. Svc. for guidance. I hope this is not typical for Ruger products but my only other Ruger gun is an SR22 semi pistol which had to be returned 2 times because it exploded leaving brass welded-like to the chamber - twice. (it runs fine now) Thoughts? Ideas? Prayers? Thanks!

recumbent

Buckeye
My ruger am 22lr was just fine out of the box.
After you get the action screws lined out I think you will find removing the stock and putting back on will correct the barrel rubbing issue.
The action screws only needs to be torqued to 35 in. lbs.

Eclem

Bearcat
Thanks for the advice Recumbent. This is a gun I've owned 20 hours and there are 2 serious issues with it already and it has yet to be fired. Ruger torqued the front stock screw easily 90 in lbs. The rear screw a great deal more than that. I suspect Ruger will want the gun back for repairs or will authorize a visit to a gunsmith on their dime. Thanks for the on - off fix advice for the proper barrel / stock alignment. I am farm raised, 77 years old, and have at least 20 guns in the house. This shoddy work is new to me -" I shoot 'em - I don't fix 'em " (Annie Oakley said to Winchester guy who told her how to fix her lever gun.)

... I am farm raised, 77 years old, and have at least 20 guns in the house. This shoddy work is new to me -" I shoot 'em - I don't fix 'em " (Annie Oakley said to Winchester guy who told her how to fix her lever gun.)

For whatever it's worth, I've owned Rugers for well over four decades, and the company's products are generally much better known for reliability than problems (especially when 'new-in-the-box'). I am not making excuses for Ruger or any other firearms company, but with record-setting demand for guns the last several years, I would not be surprised if manufacturing processes are under stress, from running full time at max capacity.

On the plus side, on the very rare occassions when I've had to deal with Ruger customer service, they've been absolutely the best there is - not just in the gun industry, but in any industry. If my experience is any indication, they will definitely take care of the issues with your new Ruger!

Eclem

Bearcat
For whatever it's worth, I've owned Rugers for well over four decades, and the company's products are generally much better known for reliability than problems (especially when 'new-in-the-box'). I am not making excuses for Ruger or any other firearms company, but with record-setting demand for guns the last several years, I would not be surprised if manufacturing processes are under stress, from running full time at max capacity.

On the plus side, on the very rare occassions when I've had to deal with Ruger customer service, they've been absolutely the best there is - not just in the gun industry, but in any industry. If my experience is any indication, they will definitely take care of the issues with your new Ruger!
Thanks much for the assurance(s). I'm sure they will treat me right as they have you in the past. Keep the faith!

At this point you'll need to return the rifle to Ruger.
FWIW, many folks put far too much thought/effort into 'free floating' rifles with synthetic stocks. Synthetic stocks don't 'move with the weather' as wood stocks are prone to do and having the stock touch the barrel isn't a big issue.
Another point I'll make: I no longer attempt to dis-assemble new(ish) rifles w/o holding a properly fitting screwdriver bit (slotted,hex,torx) in the screwhead recess and whacking it a couple of times with an 8 ounce hammer. This seems to decrease problems such as you encountered.

Eclem

Bearcat
A Ruger rep. contacted me (last Wed) and gave me an RA number and said that a UPS driver would pick it up at my place. He did last Friday. Got a note today (Tuesday) that they have received the gun and expect to have it back to me in a week. Initial bad luck but customer service seems good.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I realize that your gun is not a 10/22, but your dilemma made me think of some info I found re: a similar issue with Ruger 10/22's. Sometime ago, I was going to buy an aftermarket stock called the TITAN22 from VICTOR COMPANY https://victorcompanyusa.com/titan22-stock

As I read through their web page, they stated that many Ruger 10/22's came through with a canted stock. My 10/22 TARGET (heavy barrel) has a canted stock and you can see the barrel just touching the left side (IIRC) of the laminate stock. I scrolled down their webpage and found the PDF explaining how to test for a factory canted barrel. Here is the link (I hope) to their PDF:

J.

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Sorry to hear of the problem. Guess we can expect a problem once in a while with production. Have had my R/A 22 magnum compact for six years now. I would not trade it as it has proven super accurate.

Eclem

Bearcat
My RAR is back home and all's well except the trigger (at minimum adjustment) is too heavy for precision paper punching. I have heard via other blogs that some people remove the trigger return spring completely and that the safeties, etc. work fine. I am spoiled by my CZ rimfires and want to get the RAR trigger down to 2lbs. - and want to do it by modification - not by Timney for $150. Thoughts? Shorten the spring? Remove it?

With regards to the barrel touching the stock, one of my 5 Americans had that problem. I took it apart and shimmed both sides when putting it back together. I let it sit that way for a day, then took apart and put it back on w/o shims. All was good. I have a compact 22, standard 17, Predator 223, Predator 243, and a navy digital 308 in the American line. They all shoot wonderful.

recumbent

Buckeye
My RAR is back home and all's well except the trigger (at minimum adjustment) is too heavy for precision paper punching. I have heard via other blogs that some people remove the trigger return spring completely and that the safeties, etc. work fine. I am spoiled by my CZ rimfires and want to get the RAR trigger down to 2lbs. - and want to do it by modification - not by Timney for $150. Thoughts? Shorten the spring? Remove it?
I replaced the trigger return spring with a weaker spring and have a 1.5 lb trigger. I removed the factory spring and used a spring that went thru the adjustment screw hole this way should I decide to replace that spring I don't have to remove the trigger.
I don't think its a good idea not to have a trigger return spring. It's there for a reason.

Eclem

Bearcat
I replaced the trigger return spring with a weaker spring and have a 1.5 lb trigger. I removed the factory spring and used a spring that went thru the adjustment screw hole this way should I decide to replace that spring I don't have to remove the trigger.
I don't think its a good idea not to have a trigger return spring. It's there for a reason.
Just for giggles I did take out the return spring for a try. The trigger is like my Weihrauch air rifles with the Rekord triggers - less than 2lb and clean break. All components functioned as usual with the trigger re-setting with the bolt ejection and closing action. The gun is very accurate this way - consistent 1/2 to 3/4 inch at 25 yards and it only has 100 rounds through it. But I know the spring is in there for a reason and will get a light one - the factory spring is a tough little dude and seems like overkill unless you are hunting in 0-degree weather and wearing gloves. Thanks for everyone's input!

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Trigger light enough for me but took some getting used too with depressing the center bar. Tell ya though it makes for a great woods varmint rifle in 22 magnum. Glad the rimfires come with a satin finish. Glad I bought when I did years back. All I see is "Out Of Stock"

Eclem

Bearcat
FU to my 8/17/22 post re. removing trigger return spring: I removed the return spring and replaced it with nothing. That was about a year ago and the gun runs flawlessly with a smooth pull of 2lbs. that breaks cleanly. Everything functions properly and the gun (a standard 22lr) has seasoned into a very accurate piece and I have experienced only 1 FTE with many 100's of rounds through her. My home target range is 50 yards and I shoot sitting / off of a front bag / on a folding table - 3/4 inch with CCI SV's is predictable using a Burris 3-9x40 Droptine fixed objective scope. Only complaint is that the gun has a slippery plastic butt - so I got a spray can of rubberized auto undercoating paint and applied using masking tape for a clean application. VG rifle now. All Best To Y'all

I have a couple of RAR rimfires (22lr & 17HMR) and both have given good service in factory configuration. Accurate enough and mostly functional right out of the box. A couple of things pop out at me from this post:
1: Too many folks expect a price point rifle to function like a expensive rifle.
2: Some things that may work OK for a range only shooter are or may be dangerous for field use.