New 45Colt/45ACP Convertable Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Skip Sackett

Bearcat
I just purchased one of these fine revolvers. The reason I bought it was so I could use the "Ruger Only 45Colt" loads from most manuals. It just seemed to be cool that you could get a 45Colt, in the right handgun, to rival the 44Mag. Some of those loads are in the 20,000CUP area with others going on up to 30,000CUP. That big of bullet moving that fast has got to do a number on medium sized game at close range!

The question I have is this: Does this revolver have the "guts" to take that kind of load or are they talking about another Ruger revolver?

Thanks for your help!

Skip

. . . and be aware that anything in excess of SAAMI-specified .45 Colt ammo is not real well defined, nor condoned by Ruger.

There is no SAAMI specification for any so-called +P ammo for .45 Colt.

That said, the "Ruger only" stuff from reputable reloading manuals has been used successfully by many shooters for quite a long time.

It's your gun, and your choice. Take care.

JMHO
:mrgreen:

REP1954

Blackhawk
You might want to check those cylinder mouth diameters before shooting the real hot stuff.

M'BOGO

Buckeye
I personally belive that to be one of the best revolvers ever made. It is far and away one of my favorites.

45Colt_Man

Blackhawk
Even at Ruger Only Loads they are running less stress than the .44 mag in the same frame. Yes sir they will handle it quite well. Got a bunch of them, favorite caliber for me.

Dana

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
As mentioned,, the "Ruger only" loads are meant for the Blackhawk model,, ONLY!!!!!! NOT the New Vaquero model.
That said,, ALWAYS use caution when working up "hot" loads. As a long time reloader,, I have found that quite often,, the most accurate loads aren't always the "hottest" ones. And we all need to be able to hit our target before we worry about how powerful our loads are.
The 45 Colt is quite capable of taking down big game easily when a proper bullet selection, accuracy and bullet placement are all followed. (Check out the Gallery with the recent stories of elk hunting by Jeff Hoover, & his elk with a 45 Colt.)
As one of the MANY 45 Colt owners here,, I can attest to how great it is!

MAC702

Single-Sixer
contender said:
Welcome to the Forum!
As mentioned,, the "Ruger only" loads are meant for the Blackhawk model,, ONLY!!!!!! NOT the New Vaquero model. ...

They are fine in the original Vaquero also.

M'BOGO

Buckeye

Skip Sackett

Bearcat
Thanks for all the responses. I thought it was so but thought I would check with those in the know!

I have run some thumpers through this baby already. I was set back a tad when a powder company technician told me "not all Ruger Blackhawks were equal".

I'm guessing now that he was talking about the small frame Vaqueros instead.

Again, thanks for your help.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
I believe as long as you follow John Linebaugh's advice and stick with H-110 or W-296 you can safely exceed .44 mag power levels. That said, I feel there's not much "need" to push a .45 cal bullet much more than 1200 fps to accomplish anything a handgun can do. A 325 gr bullet at that speed would likely shoot through a T Rex! Stick with John's recommendations IMO, I doubt anyone knows more about what a Blackhawk will or will not safely handle....Dennis

M'BOGO

Buckeye
Enjoy the leisurly roll of the normal loads too, no need to beat yourself up all the time. Every paper target isn't a charging rabid hungry roid raging crack head brown bear.

dougader

Hunter
I have gone pretty hot with loads in a Bisley or two over the past 20 years, but settled on a 335 grain WLNGC bullet from Cast Performance, which is my favorite heavy weight bullet in 45 Colt, and 22 grains of WW296/H110 for about 1193 - 1211 fps in a 5-1/2" barreled revolver. That's a good accurate load and about at my tolerance level as far as recoil at the bench. IMO, if I can't do it with a hardcast 335 @ 1200 fps, then I need a rifle or a slug gun.

My hot-rodding days are over. Most of my loads in 45 Colt are now with a 250-260 grain hardcast RNFP or SWC at 800-1,000 fps.

I have stopped trying to shoot heavy loads in a Blackhawk unless it has the Bisley gripframe. My wrists just can't tolerate that kind of recoil anymore.

But that short barreled Ruger Alaskan in 454 recoils a light lighter than I ever expected. Th egrip must have something to do with it because my old 7.5" SRH in 454 was a brutal beast to control.

nn

Single-Sixer
Wish I'd bought one of those instead of a brand X .45acp

Latest posts