New .454 Bisley Quality Control

Help Support Ruger Forum:

griffonhill

Bearcat
My dad picked up the new Bisley the other day. Turns out Ruger's quality control missed some pretty obvious flaws. They must have had the new guy welding sights that day. Other than the hideous job on the front sight and some small pock marks above the grip, the rest of the gun is as everyone else describes. The trigger is excellent and a huge improvement over other factory Ruger triggers.

jbntx

Single-Sixer
Well, if that's all you can find wrong with a non custom handgun then Ruger must be doing something right.
Looks fine to me and I can't wait to buy one.

There's always something suspicious about someone with only 2 or 3 posts going to a lot of trouble to bash a firearm manufacturer. Almost as if it was a planned hit piece?

griffonhill

Bearcat
Not a "planned hit piece" and not bashing Ruger. Just pointing out their QC missed some flaws. After reading many reviews stating the fit and finish of the new revolver was excellent, just surprised to see this one escaped without being fixed.

jbntx

Single-Sixer
zagnation said:
Not a "planned hit piece" and not bashing Ruger. Just pointing out their QC missed some flaws. After reading many reviews stating the fit and finish of the new revolver was excellent, just surprised to see this one escaped without being fixed.

Those pictures show no flaws in that gun. They show some very, very minor cosmetic blemishes that you'll find on any production gun. Your use of the word "hideous" is not consistent with what the pictures show.

maxima2

Bearcat
jbntx said:
zagnation said:

Those pictures show no flaws in that gun. They show some very, very minor cosmetic blemishes that you'll find on any production gun. Your use of the word "hideous" is not consistent with what the pictures show.

I totally disagree with you.

NO ONE I know would buy that gun on purpose if they had a chance to look it over first.

To me, that gun is flawed and as it sits is worth less than one that is done right.

Ruger only ruins it's own rep by sending stuff like this out the door.

They were terrible about quality in the late 1980's/early 1990's and I had hoped those days were gone. I guess not.

I wish they would open a "custom shop" where you can pay a bit more for a gun that is done right EVERY time and pick your grip style and material, pick your sights but assembled correctly - every time.

Kho

Bearcat
If you want a custom shop that produces guns "done right every time", expect to pay at least 2x what you are paying now. Or if you are impatient, you can buy something from Freedom Arms now.

I wouldn't classify those imperfections as hideous but I expect Ruger will repair it to your satisfaction.

Onty

Single-Sixer
Chuck 100 yd said:
I would call Ruger and let them know what you found. They will make it right.
I agree. Informing Ruger about noted problem will also help them to find out why such flawed revolver went out, and take corrective action to eliminate this and other similar problems.

Yes, Ruger will fix this, but total cost for them will be at least ten times more than fixing it before such barrel was even installed on revolver. So, turning blind eye and accepting such revolver as OK does not do any good to Ruger.

I am in industry over 30 years, and I can assure you that poor workmanship hurts industries very hard and kills lot of jobs. Heck, if I know that somebody's product is lousy, there is no chance I will use it in my design.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Those items bother me but I'd fix both of those issues myself and then go to the range. But better, send it back to Ruger for free, get the 'custom shop' treatment for free, and have the gun back to your front door in 10 days or less. They need the feedback.

Let's be pragmatic and objective about this kind of thing. We hear mostly about the 1% of Ruger's problem guns and much less about the 99% tens of thousands of their guns shipped without issues.

The products we get from Ruger are the best dollar value on the market and their customer service is priceless.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Hopefully they have the chamber/throat dimension right on the 454. They were all over the map with 45 Blackhawks... :roll:

But yeah, I'd give Ruger a chance to make that one right... :?

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Bucks , I don't have any pin gauges and have not slugged mine but a cast bullet from my .452 RCBS sizer die slips through all five throats without forcing it and cartridges loaded with that same 320 gr. bullet drop in and go " plunk" just like they do in my SRH Toklat that shoots that bullet like a rifle.

If a gun shoots well , I don't worry about such things as bore/throat size. If it won't shoot I go looking for the reason.

sorry but I have to agree that the front sight is NOT done properly, gaps in joint between the sight body and the barrel,. can allow "stuff" to enter over time and affect the weld itself..yes, the spots on the grip frame (cosmetic) can be easily removed, corrected ,make look "good and proper"
but not that weld job up front,most likely automated but still has to be properly "seated" to be correct................I can count on a couple of fingers of how many in all these years that I have seen as bad as that one is...good pictures by the way, forward them to Ruger and see what THEY say 8) :roll: :wink:

griffonhill

Bearcat
Yea I'll give Ruger a call Monday, should be no problem for them to fix. Just sucks, kind of like buying a new car with dents or scratches. I have a SR556VT that was sent in for trigger recall repairs, and asked them about the shinny band towards the end of the barrel that didn't match the rest and they polished it out really nice for free, guess all the VT's had them for some reason. On the bright side he only paid $650 for the Bisley, so guess a little inconvenience is ok.

Xrayist

Single-Sixer
I'm sorry, but when someone says something like "typical Ruger half assed workmanship", I have to ask, what company who, mass produces a product, delivers every one of those products that are perfect 100% of the time? I will start buying their products! Imperfections slip through, but what matters is how the comoany gandles it. It will be in goid hands with Ruger.

kooz

Blackhawk
My biggest concern would be the crown, it looks horrible from the pics and should be recut. If you send the gun back , be sure to have them square that away.

6gun

Hunter
I wouldn't buy any new Ruger's this year with Ruger trying to double it's record output of one million to two million shortcuts are going to be taken and quality will suffer.