New 32 cal. single six in yellow box

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jazzman

Single-Sixer
I just picked up a single six in 32 caliber in the box. I was told it is unfired and I sure can't tell that it has been fired but it will get fired when I get a chance to get to the range. It is from the second year of production in 1985. My question is do you think these are worth anymore than the later ones that I mostly see on gunbroker. I paid 500.00 out the door and am happy with the price even if it is a little high. I just think it's a beautiful gun. I have one box of remington 32 s&w that I can shoot and other than that I am ordering supplies to reload. I notice bullets from around 76 grain to 115 grains and the 98 grain wadcutter seems to be available, what is your favorite 32 bullet and load.
Thanks,
Jazzman

Dale53

Blackhawk
I have a number of .32's. I mostly shoot .32 S&W Longs in my H&R Magnums due to availability of brass and the fact that I mostly shoot target loads.

My favorite target load is loaded in S&W Long cases and is 2.8 grs of Win 231 with a 100 gr Keith Group Buy bullet. You can substitute the RCBS 98 SWC bullet will equal results.

Another really accurate load in my revolvers is, again, with the .32 S&W Long case, the Hornady 90 gr HBWC with 2.0 grs of Bullseye.

Either of the two lighter loads is a premier edible small game load. Instant stop with little meat damage.

My "heavy" load is 10.0 grs of H110 behind a 100 gr Keith bullet sized .313". This will chronograph about 1100 fps-1200 fps.

Dale53

if you want to know if the gun was ever fired before....need to look down the bore, and also the chambers of the cylinder, then around the area of the inside of the frame,where the barrel screws into it from the front, it will be smoky/dirty around the rear of the barrel as well as the top strap, the forcing cone will NOT be shiny and bright ...and finally around the front of the cylinder, look at the chamber end of the cylinder and if you see any rings or discoloring around each chamber , this will also tell if the gun has been fired...the line around the cylinder from notch to notch does NOT tell you the gun was ever fired, only "handled" ( turned)

gak

Buckeye
You did good. The early (adjustable sight) models have long been pricier since they've been out of production for so long = fewer generally on the market. However, all .32s seem to be back up in price (after a short market dip post production end in 06/07/08 or so as dealers sought to unload remaining stock).

I got my first one new right at the 1984 introduction but (felt) I had to let it go several years later. Want that one--a 5.5--back! Have been a .32 H&R fan from the get-go and have since filled the void with several "Vaqueritos" and enjoy these the same. Still, like so many things in life, miss the first one! Such fun guns to shoot and handle--in all their forms.

Chance

Buckeye
Very good find jazzman. The adjustable sight SSMs bring quite a bit more than the later models. One of the main reasons is there are a lot fewer available for sale.

I have a unfired 4 digit with box, paperwork and shipper I wouldn't let go for anywhere near what you bought yours for.

Welcome to the Forum. When can we expect pictures?

Single-Sixer
I'd say you did good, I paid more for mine and feel lucky to have gotten it. Mine was unfired too (key word "WAS").

flatgate

Hawkeye
357573210.jpg

I have these two shooters, albeit with a few modifications :roll: I recently found a "SSM" marked 5-1/2" example but the previous owner's "gunsmithing" left it in less than ideal condition......

flatgate

FrontSite

Single-Sixer
You didn't say which barrel length but $500 sounds like a good price with
the box. I started with one .. now it has many brothers. I don't really
make up a "target" load .. I like them all a little hot and my favorite load
would be a Penn 95g SWC over about 11g of Lil Gun for about 1240 fps.

And here are a couple of my fav's .. (in inverted Flatgate Layout) :lol: :lol:

FrontSite

Two32ss.jpg

Latest posts