New 22 LR only, Stainless Bisley,,, pro's and con's

Help Support Ruger Forum:

This Single Six has lot's to like,,,, BUT: not all is good! right outa the box pretty crude, hard cocking and a lotta creep with that trigger that breaks like cinder block. But not all that terrible with this 12 shot target at 20 yards as light was fading,, and anymore these old eyes need lots of light,, and then things are still fuzzy, but all in all I had hope.

SS-_II.jpg

The new Stainless 6 shot single six Bisley showed up last Friday with a lot of issues! The good was the finish is pretty good, had a little spot that was never polished before the brushed finish on the front lower left frame side,, no biggy, and I wont swcotchbright it, it will stay unique to this revolver.

I always break em down and polish the entire action, pivots, pins, sear's, hammer and trigger sides, loading gate spring and bearing surfaces along with the bearing surface front and back on the cylinder, hammer and trigger sides and the surface that rides the hammer, pawl surfaces, cylinder lock and transfer bar pivots and surfaces, as well as the the cylinder pin and the center bore the cylinder base pin runs on. This usually makes em slicker than grease'd lightning on my large frame guns. I also do a trigger job and settle fer 2 to 2.5 pounds that break like ice with no pre travel.

When I pulled the hammer and trigger I saw 3 fairly large metal chips fall on my working cloth? A new first from Ruger, I have done dozens of Blackhawk and Vaquero actions, and only recall ever seeing a couple with a minor metal chip or shaving inside. These were like drill bit shavings, and pretty good size.

The killer was the grips, I don't usually complain abot bisley grips even though they leave much to be desired on my Rugers, but these are not even usable, way under sized, leaving sharp frame edges well exposed cutting into my hand and fingers, worst I have ever witnessed on any gun.
SS-_Bisley-grips.jpg

NOW THE GOOD:: and there is a lot to like.

First off everything cleaned up pretty nice,, but when ut back together I had an issue with something binding the trigger, of I slowly let the hammer down it would actually stop half dropped, I could pound the but in palm and it would fall, but I never weaken a hammer spring at the cost of slower lock time, or erratic ignition. The cylender also was very stif rotating with the gate open and when cocking? I took it back apart and reassembled everything and all seemed fine, but was still binding the hammer and cylinder rotation?

After close examination with the cylinder out I noticed the pawl was stiff and no play in it, even felt stiff cocking with the cylinder removed, so I took the pads off and loosened the screw the pawl spring is loaded with, after about 3 or 4 turns the action and hammer freed up. This was the problem, I am not sure if the single six uses a different pawl spring and pin than the blackhawk, and maybe this has the wrong one in it? was the pin or spring just longer than spec? Was the grip screw longer than spec? not sure why it came this way, but trimming a 1/4" off the spring took care of the problem.

Then I took a set of grips from one of my .45 Colt Bisley's that I had change and put on the little single six, that fixed the undersized grip issue, but have some others to fit permanent to it. With a crisp travel free trigger that breaks clean like ice at 2# 6oz. I am quite happy with the action and trigger now even though it is not as smooth as the Blackhawks in my safe, it quite good fer a little RF single action. I never expected it to keep up with the MKII 5.5" Target accuracy that shoots 1/2" @ 25 yards with quality ammo and quite hard on a pong pong ball at 50 yards. Well it don't shoot 1/2" but I found 4 different types of ammo that comes in right around an inch, and some American Eagle Hollow points that shot 6 shot's under an inch shooting 13/16" 6 shot groups at 25 yards is more than was expecting from the new Bisley without bumping the bullets up in dia., and Wolf Match Target and Extra that comes real close with the extra shooting one group fer 5 of the six shots in 5/8" not 7/8" like the target says. Both run right around an 1 1/4" for all six shots with a group now and then throwing a flyer wild, but usually keeping 5 of the 6 rounds under 1".
SSix-_Day1-target-_II.jpg

SSix-_Day-1-targets.jpg

After the little cleaning up on the action it's needless to say it doesn't fall far behind my MKII Target. It may just keep up with it once I get the Waltz die and tune some ammo. Oh and with a set of Fancy Walnut, and Black Micarta grips on the way, once I fit them to the frame I am sure it will be quite satisfactory fer kill'n cans tree rats and ground squirrels even if the die doesn't help the ammo, but I have had a lot of good reports, and so far have not heard it don't help. I will report back once I get the dies and grips and see just how it affects the outcome.Toll they get here I will be enjoying the new addition to the safe.
single-six-_I.jpg

Yep like Rocdoc said, bone stock adjustable, and hard er en heck fer me to see. this was one of the Bisleys available from the classifieds, and a good buy at the price Acrylic is selling them for.

I need sunny days and 1.5X readers to see em anymore. My I have to use a 45 Colt Bisley Hunter anymore fer big game hunting, I don't like a scope, but the first legal hour and the last hour I have to have the scope on, then between that time I take it off and stick it in my daypack. on my MKII I use a Burris fastfire fer squirrel and rabbits,,

I may try the Williams fire sights, but I know I will still need the readers to sharpen em. The standard sights just don't have enought contrat on dark backgrounds. Thinning the front sight works on light backgrounds with the factory sights, but most cans rocks and live animals are dark, the firesight might help for them.

The Norseman

Blackhawk
Thank you so much for the in-depth report on the Pro's
and Con's of the new SS SS Bisley. Also for the pictures.

I have read other reports of Quality Control. Things have
really changed. This summer I met one of the Managers
at Prescott, at a wedding we attended.

Wish I could have visited with him more, but I thought
is was sorta funny when I mentioned my Ruger Gold Label
SxS, it was like he didn't know what I was talking about. Weird.

Anyway, my 1956 Single Six Flatgate five digit, sounds like
they really had the Craftsmanship back then. It is stock
and amazing to shoot, smooth, accurate and just nice.
I am really careful with it, and shoot it about every other
week. It was my Dad's. We are the Original Caretakers of it.

Thank you again for the Report and Pictures.

To me the PRO's far out way the cons, I would not care what revolver or pistol for that matter I bought, I like to take them down completely and clean and lube them before a trip to the range,, with the exception to hand fit revolvers and pistols such as FA Baer Brown etc. I don't care who makes it, people would be surprised what can be found.

The other thing is I like my Bisley grips, 40 years ago I loved the standard Blackhawk grip and the Super Blackhawk even more, but I didn't have the Bisley option back then. Today even the 3 screws are gone, and I honestly can say I have not given up anything. I have to say I have as accurate, as durable and more so in some calibers, than I had back then. Today I have a Stainless Steel Single Six,, but today I have the grop frame option I prefer without spending more money to convert or have converted this little rimfire.

In all honesty if I wanted to spend big money on a 22 LR just to plink with, I would buy the 252 from FA. You can't touch any single action as solidly built, that will out last this offering close to this price. If I can shoot under 1" six shot groups now, I have to believe when I get the ammo tuned to fit the gun I will have a single action that will shoot as well and be as durable and as accurate as any single action made near $500.00, but I have a lot less in it, and I get my preferred grip frame. Buy the way, I have had the older single sixes, 3 screw, pre warning, and new model. But with a couple hours at the work bench this is smooth and as good a trigger as any possible trigger in any one of them. I also can say I never had one that would shoot under an 1" without modifying plain old off the shelf rimfire ammo. The American Eagle high velocity hp shot the best, and Wolf Match target is pretty cheap, or at least it was when I bought a case each of the Match Target and Match Extra, and it I think it will shoot well under the 13/16" the feral set the standard for. That Federal ammo has shot 1" pretty consistent when I do my part the last few days.

Finally,, the grip issue as I knew it would be, is being taken care of with a simple phone call. I should have a new set of grips after the holiday, what more could you ask for? I will still fit a set of the custom grips I have coming to it, but this shows that Ruger has my back if I have any issue with any firearm their name is on, that will always work for me.

chet15

Hawkeye
Do you know what is crazy about this model?
Nobody has said BOO that this model had never been produced by Ruger previously. Yes it is factory, but Ruger did a cleanup of something like 126 guns (what part was the cleanup? The stainless rollmarked cylinder), and that first batch went through Sports South. They went so well that Sports South ordered another batch...don't know how many though.
Where is everbody on stuff like this???
Chet15

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
chet15 said:
Do you know what is crazy about this model?
Nobody has said BOO that this model had never been produced by Ruger previously. Yes it is factory, but Ruger did a cleanup of something like 126 guns (what part was the cleanup? The stainless rollmarked cylinder), and that first batch went through Sports South. They went so well that Sports South ordered another batch...don't know how many though.
Where is everbody on stuff like this???
Chet15

Are you asking, "How do we stand on versions as such"? I'd love to see a 10 shot Bisley .22 LR version in blued steel with 4-¾ inch barrel. After adding a set of ivory grip panels, I'd be ecstatic. Probably would be just too much for Turnbull to take one and color case the cylinder frame, but I'd have one in a heart-beat. Just can't shine up to the Ruger Mark IV with the color case upper.

Yes chet15, I covered that on the revolver forum,but didn't explain how I came up with this explanation for their existence. When I called customer service to see what they would do about the grip panels I asked that very question,, if they were simply cleanups, and how many,,,, she spent some time trying to get an answer and when she came back said they were not sure, just that it was not a cataloged revolver, and was not scheduled to be so. She did say it would take some time and work to find out the total number, and who they all went to. I told her not to bother I just wanted my thoughts verified and she did that.

I did recieve a new set of grips after telling her that I would prefer Blackhawk Bisley grips if they were beefier, and was told that was a different frame. I had to tell her the grip frame was the same. After a few minutes she agreed and let me know she was not aware of the fact that both guns used the same grop frame but a bisley grip frame is a bisley grip frame regardless which mainframe it used on. But apparently all panels for these frames suck! as when I got the new ones, they were maybe worse than the original's, now I have two set's of worthless grips that they don't want back!

Both set's are so bad I don't know haw either could be worse than the other??? The other side is every bit as bad.
SS-_Bisley-grips.jpg