new 22/45 break in

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bulldog87

Bearcat
Did a search and can't find anything on this. What would be the recommended break in of this pistol? Dealer said run mini mags for 200-300 rounds straight out of the box. then clean well and shoot whatever I want after that. Do you all concur?

greener

Single-Sixer
Field strip it and give it a thorough cleaning. Reassemble with a very light coat of oil. Get a variety of ammo to see what it likes. Start shooting.

I've bought two new MKIII's (Hunter and 22/45). I did the field strip, clean, lube and shoot with the Hunter and shoot, field strip, clean and lube with the 22/45. Although they both seemed a bit better after a few hundred rounds I can't say that either needed breaking in. The improvement after several hundred rounds may have been more me getting familiar with the pistols than anything mechanical.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Mini mags are hotter and will break the gun in faster, but I think ultimately you'll find that standard velocity 22's work best for acccuracy, compared to high or hyper velocity rounds like velociters.

Mini mags are great ammo, and usually go BANG every time, compared to most 22 ammo these days, and especially the garbage in the bulk milk box type packaging.

REV

mattsbox99

Hunter
I see no need for the mini mags or anything above standard velocity (1250 FPS) ammo. I own several MK pistols and I've never done any break in past initial cleaning and they all shoot very well.

snakespit

Bearcat
I took mine from the counter to the range and put 400 rounds through it. Been working great ever since.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Look through the bore to make sure there's no grease or other debris in there; run a rod through to clean it out if necessary.

Then just get a bunch of ammo and go shooting. Have fun!

GhosT

Blackhawk
Greener made sense with ...

"Field strip it and give it a thorough cleaning. Reassemble with a very light coat of oil."
Then I would suggest 300 rounds of what feeds best...to break it in.
Don't sweat accuracy just breaking it in.

Then, strip , clean and oil it again......
THEN worry about accuracy!

BTW, congrats on a cool choice.
Owned countless .22 rimfire handguns since 1979.......
Now only own 2.---and one is a cheater, a TC contender matchgrade.....lol

The other

A Mark 2 22/45.......
Unreal how reliable......and tried it with and without scope....accurate as hell.

Took the scope off...
Cause(JMHO)
Everybody needs one open sited rimfire handgun that they trust.
Mine BANGS on every trigger pull...and hits where aimed at reasonable ranges. :)